Montana or Mexico? Yes, crazy I know

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten myself into a fix over this & perhaps you all can help me see my way clear.

I have a 6 and an 8-year-old. They're fairly good travelers (we had a great canoe/hike trip to Quebec this past summer) and they're fairly good at being happy with nothing much going on.

We've been planning a summer trip to San Miguel in July...we'll be in a language school (my kids already take spanish 5 days a week), rent a house, go to the hot springs, shop in the markets, etc....but then I started thinking, geez is this right for them? Would this be a better junior=high trip rather than elementary school trip? (as far as the kids go, they're happy with pretty much any decision).

so alternative 2 is Montana...lots of hiking, lots of new terrain, lots of adventure....but is that the right decision? Am I giving up a great chance for a big cultural expereince in Mexico (and at an age where my kids are still so agreeable).

I know you don't know me but any pearls of wisdom out there?

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:42 AM
E

I would choose Mexico--IMO, they aren't too young to have a wildly enriching experience there, one they will remember, especially if you take them back to Mexico or other Spanish-speaking countries as they get older. Furthermore, they need you to introduce them to places that are foreign to them, and to develop a taste and respect for foreign cultures; as Americans, a trip to Montana, while fun, would not be as expanding. Good luck!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Got to go with Montana before all of the land is purchased by Hollywooders.It's a summer vacation - time to relax and explore the most beautiful part of America.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM
bluestructure

Montana can be a whole different country in itself! If you loved Quebec then I'm sure you guys will have a great adventure up there. I wish I could go to MT hiking. I guess one of these days. At least you'll have fresh air to breath! Go to Montana, I would feel safer in wildlife than the streets of Mexico.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Montana adventure now and Mexico when they are older. So much to see and experence in Montana and Wyoming, and the L & C Trail. Teach them to appreciate our country and the pioneers sacrifices, and the Native American history. And let them see the difference between Big Sky Country and urban sprawl.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM

I would go to Mexico. It has the added bonus of the language, the food and music and art. (Of course, Montana has music food and art but it isn't really that foreign-*unless you are from NY and anything west of NJ is foreign)

*joke
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

I have to laugh as I read these messages because your differing opinions sound like the discussion going on in my own head right now! Many thanks for these insights.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:56 AM
stjohnbound

I traveled extensively as a child and even lived abroad and I can tell you without hesitation that you should go to Mexico with children that young. This is the age when learning a language is easiest and when their minds are open to new things. Once they hit the junior high age they don't want to be "different" and spending the summer in Mexico will definitely from what their peers will be doing. Have a great time. You sound like a great parent!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mexico, no contest!! Fantastic and diverse country. And perfect for kids who are taking Spanish lessons. I can't imagine a better opportunity.

As to the person who vaguely references safety <I would feel safer in wildlife than the streets of Mexico> I'll take a guess they have traveled extensively in Mexico themselves. Plus San Miguel is a smallish colonial city, not the DF for goodness sake.

If you put this same posting over on the Latin America board, I can pretty much guarantee how the voting will go!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM

oops... that they have *NOT* traveled in Mexico themselves.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Y'all will love San Miguel de Allende in July!
M
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:35 PM

San Miguel in a minute!

Not only will your kids notice the cultural difference, they will have things from this trip "stick" with them in a wonderous way. On the other hand...don't throw Montana away, keep it for a family trip when their strength and endurance allows you to do a challenging wildernous adventure.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:54 PM

I know I've already had my vote, but I truly believe that a trip to Mexico can change your life (it did mine).

I do not believe this about Montana (no offense meant).
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Montana changed my life. I visited northwest Montana years ago and decided to retire here 12 years ago!
Only problem is getting inexpensive flights to Europe!!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:52 PM

wow.....you surely have great ideas either way you go! We've taken our kids to Hawaii, Mexico, 20 states.... As an educator myself, my vote would be Montana now and Mexico later. Montana has so many natural beauty and pioneer type of things....things that are exciting to the younger 2nd-4th grade mind. If you do it when they're older, it would be exciting enough for them. Mexico, has so much to offer....plus if you do that when they are older, they would have had more studies in school of the Mayan culture. You can have the best of both worlds if you wait for Mexico. We just took our 3 kids this last summer (ages 12, 14 & 15) and they had a blast. They were old enough and young enough. Plus, many of the vacationers at the all-inclusive resort we stayed at were from other countries. My kids email their new friends weekly and also learned about other cultures. Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Montana. I think the kids would enjoy this outdoors trip. I have kids that are 11 and 12 and I would like to take them next summer to Wyoming and Montana.(before they get too old) The tetons and Yellowstone. My guess is that they will grow out of the outdoors thing by the time they are teens. They would enjoy Mexico and it's beaches and culture more as teens. I have girls and this is what I am thinking. My kids are fairly well traveled and they are already favoring the more beachy vacations. I believe that in Junior High, they will remember a trip to a different culture and treasure it. I think they will also look back fondly to when they were younger and went out west. I went out west at 7 years old. It was cool, but I only remember so much of the trip. I remember Bermuda a lot more and I was 12 when we went there.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:13 AM

girlonthego may have it right. Six year olds don't tend to remember much.

8 year olds, on the other hand, are prime candidates for new experiences, whether for learning or just for fun. Things you do at that age really make an impression. I'd make a decision based on that child.

BTW, I'm a mother, teacher and school counselor so I speak from experience.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:19 AM

I vacationed in Montana and loved it. Missourla accualy. Only been to Mexican boarder towns but hated them. But that's just boarder towns.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:31 AM

Mexico...I went to a Montessori school for kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades and could speak Spanish when I was 6...and we remember things ! In fact I remember more about that time than the next years in public school and that was over 26 years ago...I do think their minds are going to absorb more language that they would later and it will educate them on international travel, etc. and give them a good base. Go for it ! have fun wherever you decide..Montana is beautiful too..hard choice
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:28 AM

You picked 2 of my favorite places! So, I don't think you can go wrong with either...although my family and I thought long and hard about Montana this summer, we finally settled on Mexico (Puerto Vallarta).

There is something about Mexico that we find addictive, I've never found anywhere else I want to return to again and again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -