Montana/Minnesota/HELP

Search

Montana/Minnesota/HELP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montana/Minnesota/HELP

Gonna try this again. Posted once but it seems to have dissappeared! Doing cross-country trip in June.Scheduled to spend 1 day/night in Fargo N.D.at the Best Western Doublewood Inn.(Happens to be my birthday) Can't get anyone to respond re the place or the area.Wondering if I should reconsider and extend our stay another night on one end (either Medora, ND or St. Paul Minn.)or leave things as they are. Any opinions? Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Fargo is nice town but not very "remarkable"
IMO I would rather spend my birthday in St. Paul..
I went by Amtrak last year from Portland To Minn-St. Paul. I stopped in Fargo to visit a friend...she drove me around town. It does have a "wide-open spaces" feel and people are very friendly.
Hope this helps...
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Taveler24. I'm just happy to finally hear from someone out there that HAS an opinion! I'm leaning toward the St.Paul extra day idea too.Funny. Our trip is from Portland to St. Paul also. What did you do along the way? We are going by car, but just curious. Thanks again for the input. Beth
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Theodore Roosevelt National Park is near Medora, ND and it's worth some time. Make sure to make it up to the Northern Section too.

When we crossed ND from MN we traveled up on Hwy 5 and visited the beauitful International Peace Gardens

Utahtea
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 10:44 AM

I agree. Fargo is a probably a nice city to live in, but it wasn't my favorite vacation spot. If you like doing "city" things like restaurant/show etc. then St Paul is the answer. If you like outdoor stuff, Medora ND would be the answer. As someone mentioned, Teddy Roosevelt National Park is in Medora and is incredible. I absolutely loved it and enjoyed hiking all around. It's a pretty small town though, with only a small variety of restaurants and most of them seem to be open only during the summer. I went in mid-Sept and many things were closing down. I'd recommend the Rough Rider hotel, very simple, but historically interesting. Most of the other places are typical tourist motels. But I'd only pick Medora if scenery and hiking etc. are your priority. If you want any luxury, fancy restaurants, shows, clubs, go to St Paul
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Forgot to add, if you have some extra time in ND, I preferred Grand Forks to Fargo, although it may not be on your trip route. I also enjoyed the Peace Gardens, but it may be out of your way and if you are not a big garden fan, it's probably not worth the extra drive. However, if you do like garden walks, this is a lovely site.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:01 AM

The Doublewood in Fargo is fine (don't eat there) and you will be close enough to the interstate, numerous decent places to eat, nice mall, etc. (Pass on the Grand Forks suggestion.)

While there is much more to do at either end of your trip, Fargo is an easy way to break up the trip. (It's about 600 miles from St. Paul to Medora -- 240 St. Paul to Fargo, 350 Fargo to Medora.)