Montana.Lewis & Clark

Search

Montana.Lewis & Clark

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montana.Lewis & Clark

Hi, I have it in my head to see some sites in Montana related to lewis and clark. Great Falls, Lolo pass, three forks. Thinking about flying to Bozeman, drive up to missoula and then over to Great Falls and back down to Bozeman. I have week to do this so I hope to meander a bit. Mostly just sight seeing. Not really an outdoorsman. Any can't miss sights, all suggestions and opinions are welcome thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Hi, I was just in Great Falls and Missoula last summer, and I've been on Lolo Pass more times than I care to remember.

My suggestion is to look into an ancient ice age phenomenon called "Lake Missoula" and combine that with your Lewis and Clark interests.

The Lolo Pass path is a (once you've committed yourself, you're ON that path for the long haul) sort of a passage. It comes complete with road work, slow trucks, narrow roads, and wonderful trees and valley scenes. (drive it one way, and then go back on the interstate)

Most of the area on such a trip is going to be rural and remote, with long drives and few highlights in between. Perhaps much of the substance you'll gain will originate from things learned from the internet in preparation for your journey.

I loved many of the areas and the scenery I saw, but there just weren't that many hot spots in the way of "must sees".

Enjoy!
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM

For the last 27 years or so, I've made it a point to see as many Lewis and Clark sites as I can. I think nothing of driving ten miles just to photograph a sign saying (something like) "Lewis and Clark were here."

If your sole purpose is to spend a week visiting sites related to L&S, you'd be better off flying into Portland and heading for the Astoria area. Fort Clatsop and Cape Disappointment are indispensible for afficionadoes, and there are other "Lewis and Clark were here" sites as well.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Don't miss Pompey's Pillar!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Some really interesting places while you are there, nearby and very historic, Lemhi Pass on the Idaho Montana border, Salmon ID and the Sacajawea museum, Three Forks MT and the Headwaters State Park. Near Great Falls the very historic town of Fort Benton, especially the Museum housing the Hornaday collection of the Smithsonian Buffalo, as well as a beautiful L & C statue at the waterfront.
Near Missoula, check out the National Bison Range.
You can do this via Bozeman, Great Falls or Missoula.
Have a great time, a very exciting trip.