Search

Molokai Ranch Lodge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Marilyn

Molokai Ranch Lodge

Anyone stayed here? Have any recommendations for tours or activites while in Molokai? We have reservations for summer 2003 Thanks

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Nova

I asume that you know that Molokai is VERY quiet and not very developed. Not a lot to do there, which is OK if that is what you want.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Melissa

You dont say how large your group is, but there is horseback riding on trails. When my group went, we did a rodeo exercise using horses. It was fun, if you like horses.

I am not sure how far away the hike/mule ride to Kalaupapa is. Kalaupapa is where Father Damien went to care for the lepers. This is also a great place to go.....if you want to camp there, you need special permission. Cameras and children are not allowed there.

Molokai is excessively quiet. I remember when we arrived, I went out on my room's lanai and the silence was DEAFENING. I could hear myself breathing, and that seemed so loud!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Diana

We stayed on Molokai in May, 2002. We loved it! Yes, it is very quiet, but very peaceful and oh-so-Hawaiian. We stayed at the Paniolo Hale; friends of ours stayed at the Molokai Ranch (in the tentalows, on the beach). There is TONS to do at the Ranch--mountain biking, kayaking, horseeback riding--you name it. The Mule Ride/Damien Tour is really worth doing. It's about a $70 U.S. cab ride from the Ranch, however.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:15 PM
natalie

Hi Marilyn, just got back from the Lodge on Dec. 14th and had a great time. Bid a package on luxurylink.com 5 nts all meals and a massage/activity credits for $1800 - was a great deal. A car is a must. It's about a 15 min ride to the ocean and got to see a beautiful monk seal on the shoreline 2 days while we were there. One regret was that we didn't do the Father Damien tour as mentioned above, he was truly an amazing man.

1.Definately take a ride to the Northeast side of the island - it's beauty is unsurpassed though the driving can be a little scary towards the top but a must do.
2.The two adjoining state parks of Phallic Rock & KA-something where you can overlook Father Damiens side of the island again very beautiful. About 15-20 mins from the resort.
Unfortunately there is no longer whale watching excursions. Others opted for a helicopter tour which got very good reviews.
I'm jealous = ) Have a wonderful time!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:18 PM
natalie

Oops, this post is ancient. Another fodorite asked for a trip report a while back, hopefully she'll see this!