Search

Mohonk Mountain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mohonk Mountain

Hi there,

I've done a search and read a few mixed reviews about Mohonk, but my husband and I received a gift certificate for a weekend at Mohonk as a wedding present and we are going at the end of August. We are mid-20s, like great food, wine and outdoor adventure. I fine dining is not to be found here, but I thought I'd ask your advice on any of the following:

- Do you need reservations for the restaurants?
- Do you recommend the outdoor dinner BBQ?
- Recommended activities?
- How is the golf?
- I've heard we should we bring our own wine - is this the case?
- Info. on nearby wineries?
- What's the situation with families and kids - do they take away from a romantic weekend?

Thanks so much in advance.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Mohonk is actually VERY nice, and since you're not paying for it, it makes it all the nicer! The rooms are kind of small and overpriced but most have beautiful views.

Meals are included, and I found the dinners to be excellent. Breakfast and lunch are buffet-style and not quite as good, but you'll probably find something you like. I believe you have to make reservations for lunch and dinner (to reserve a time) but we did this after we checked in.

The hiking is WONDERFUL...do the hike that takes you through the "Lemon Squeeze." You'll have to see it to believe it. Hiking shoes are a must.

I haven't stayed up there in the summer, but I know they have swimming beaches and boats (pedal boats, I think). There are also tennis courts and golfing but I have not tried them there. The grounds are so pretty that I would golf if I had the chance.

YES, there are lots of kids and families...all the more reason to get away from the immediate hotel area and hike or golf. I would expect there to be many kids at the beach area.

Since there are no bars at the resort (!) I would also recommend you bring some wine if you wanted to have a little picnic or something. Some rooms have balconies with furniture...another place to relax w/some wine. There are tons of little gazebos perched on the cliffs alongside the trails...perfect spots for a romantic drink. I am not sure if this is forbidden, but it's not like there are any guards around! If you only drink with dinner, however, they DO have a wine/drink menu. Just no formal bar.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Sounds like it will be really nice, and we'll definitely bring wine to enjoy between meals. I'm a novice golfer but my husband is great and we're looking forward to trying out their course.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:48 AM

I would add just a couple of other points (we've been to Mohonk 6 times in all seasons and just love it). In terms of bringing your own wine, remember that Mohonk started as a Quaker resort and still hangs on to some of those traditions. Alcohol in the dining room is only of more recent vintage--drinking elsewhere on the property would definitely be frowned on. Some wine in your room is probably ok.

During the summer, there is an outdoor lunch BBQ everyday as an alternative to the dining room buffet. In our experience, the food at the BBQ is much better, plus you get the added benefit of an incredible view of the lake. You can sign up for the BBQ the same day.

I agree with Suzanne about the hiking. Try and do as many of the rock scrambles as you can, including the Lemon Squeeze. It is really a unique Mohonk experience.

As far as kids, if you eat dinner a little later, most of the kids will have cleared out of the dining room. Otherwise, the property is so big that you can always find a quiet place.

Have fun!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM

I would like to second what suzanne said.. Mohonk is a GREAT place.. We've stayed a few times in the winter and visited many times during the summer. I agree with the comments on the food. Dinners are nice and Breakfast & Lunch Buffets are OK. We've had the BBQ (at the 'Granary') a few times and found it to be good. You might want to have lunch there as to not loose out on one of two decent dinners.

Hikiing is fabulous. I've never done the lemon squeeze, but think I know where it is. Definitely hike to Skytop and also try the road that goes south from the house. I think it has 'eagle' in it's name. Another great hike is the overcliff and undercliff roads.. It's a few hour walk, but gives you good views of the Gunks and surrounding valleys.

If you have the time on your arrival day, arrive early and start your vacation by taking a hike before you check-in.

I just checked their website and noticed that they (finally) installed A/C in the guest rooms. Up until now, only the lower dining rooms were air conditioned and I could see it getting hot there in the summer. They're also in the process of adding a pool and spa to the hotel. I think it should be opening soon, but not sure if it will be open by the time you'll be there.

Have a great time!!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Also take note, Mohonk doen't have air conditioning in case you are looking for a climate controlled room.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I'll second what others say but they've been there more often, we just for meals and hiking, a week ago in fact. I did not find the menu that exciting but other in our family liked it. Mohonk is sort of a stuffy reserved place, laid back like an old resort hotel should be (and pricey). Yes, good hiking. They have indeed changed their policy on alcohol to compete for conventions.

Enjoy...
ozarksbill
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM

As a child I stayed at Grossingers one week each summer, and I remember it to be very nice, but twas nothing compared to this. Enjoy it, dear.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:51 AM

Just a side note The 1994 movie with Matthew Broderick The Road to Wellville was filmed there.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Jed

I know that the stated check-in time is 4PM, but has anyone had an earlier check-in?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM

the rock scambling is fun!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:02 AM
jah

We went to Mohonk in
97 and thought it was fabulous. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the lake. Loved the room. Dinner was nice, breakfast, lunch ok. But the place is so beautiful, it doesn't matter. And the service is wonderful. It's such a cool, old place, you feel like you're in a time machine in the early part of the 20th century. It's nice to go somewhere where there's no TV, media, and other irritating distractions. This is truely a beautiful, romantic resort.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Jed

Just returned from 3 nights at MM.

Checking in before 4PM depends on whether your room is ready. If you get there earlier, you can do activities,

There is a bar and lounge serving alcohol open at 6PM. They do not want you to walk around with a drink in you hand, however. You can get alcohol at dinner. Selection of beer. You can have a drink in your room or on your balcony, if you have one.

Afternoon tea and cookies stop at 4:59:59. Cookies stop when they run out of them.

We had a room air conditioner, but we were told they are working to put in central air.

The spa and pool will be ready soon, whatever that means.

Not all rooms have good views.

There are a few TVs in the building, but none in the rooms. You can rent one for $28/day (!).

You need to sign up for the restaurants, but it is not a problem. They are flexible.

Lots and lots of activities. Lots and lots of kids. Yes they do 'take away from a romantic weekend'.

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Just got back from my weekend there and thought I'd post a review... while the place was indeed beautiful and we had a wonderful time, we found it to be WAAAAY overpriced. They add a 20 percent service charge plus tax, etc. to the room rates, bringing the final number up to around $600, which is just to start off before adding in a glass of wine here, an activity there. This was defintiely not a $1200 weekend. We spent so much less per night on at the Four Seasons in Hawaii - one of the nicest resorts in the world.

While I realize that this price includes meals, they were pretty uninspiring (other than dinner) and the children were EVERYWHERE. The supposedly 'adults only' dining room was filled with really poorly behaved kids who were yelling and running around (with parents looking on as if it were cute.) Don't get me wrong - I love kids, but the adults only dining room, jackets required, was NOT the appropriate place for them. Especially not if the parents refused to control their behavior. I don't know why the resort does not enforce the adults only policy as advertised.

There are also extra charges everywhere. The fishing, the golf, etc. are all additional charges (the golf makes sense but $15 to borrow the fishing pole when you're spending so much already?) so our bill quickly added up.

On the plus side, I think this would be a really fun place to take our kids when we have them someday. I just wouldn't stay at the resort. I would stay someplace in New Paltz and use the ammeneties of the resort (hiking, gorgeous lake, fun boating) as a day guest. It seemed like the perfect place to take the little ones with so much for them to do and see.

We were also blown away by the incredible views. Our balcony (on which we sat in the evening with a bottle of wine from a local winery) was lovely and overlooked the lake. I think the rooms with the mountain view would be even better. The setting was right out of the film Last of the Mohicans, and ironically Madeleine Stowe, the movie's heroine, was at the resort this weekend as well with her daughter.

All in all it was a great place, I just wouldn't recommend staying there because the value for the money was just not there. But as a day guest the place would be phenomenal.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Jed

Indeed, I feel that it is way overpriced. I can't understand how people can afford it, much less come back every year.

The gratuity is listed as 15%. Did you pay 20%?
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:49 AM

But the good news is Hawaiimoon that you didn't have to pay.. What a wonderful gift. I used to live next to Mohonk - and I think it is one of the loveliest places I've visited...
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Well, I did warn you about the meals. Do agree on the great scenery. Didn't mention that it is pricey...about which I also agree with you. Only thing about such resort places in the East: Delaware coast, Cape Cod, Hudson R. area, Poconos, Catskills, etc...aren't they inclined to be pricey? What do people think? Are there bargains to be found?

ozarksbill
(senior citizen, hopefully not stuffy)
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - perhaps it was 15 percent - I can't remember exactly. And julie_Colorado, while we were indeed fortunate to have been given a gift certificate, it was only for a set amount which we managed to triple over the weekend!!

After rereading my post however, I think I came across far more negatively than I intended. We really did have a wonderful time, and the scenery and amenities were incredible. My complaint about the children is not really fair since it is a family resort, and I would definitely go back with my own kids someday. Don't mean to disuade people from visiting! By all means it is a wonderful place, just not so much as a place to stay over.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:19 AM

Has anyone got a good suggestion of a place nearby to stay, so that you can enjoy Mohonk as a day visitor? I would prefer an adults oriented lodge or inn.
Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 11:37 AM

there used to be a lovely inn on the corner of 213 and 209 in Stone Ridge. Does anyone know if that is still there? That would be convenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -