Search

Moab trip help!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab trip help!!

I have been looking at a week trip to Moab but was not thrilled with the idea of a roundtrip from SLC. So my new idea is to fly into Durango, Co, visit Mesa Verde for a day and then drive up to Moab for several days and finally on to SLC to fly home, maybe via Torrey to hike at Capital Reef. Does this sound like a good itinerary? Also looking at mid April for this. Is that a good time. A Durango ad said April was the low season. Thanks for anyone who can tell me what you think.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM

I think April is low season because it's not ski season nor is it summer. April should be good hiking weather in both Mesa Verde and Moab. The distances between cities aren't too far to drive and still have time to hike the same day.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM

I visited Moab last April and it's a great time to visit - we did get some rain, but it sure beats 100+ degree days in June, July and August. Mesa Verde is always a fantastic destination - a day is not very long, but if that's all you have, then make the most of it by taking guided tours and hiking a bit out of the parking lots to see the petroglyphs in their original locations. My only concern would be the cost to fly into Durango - much more expensive than SLC, but certainly a better starting point.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM

I live almost mid point between Durango and Moab, right near Mesa Verde. April should be really pleasant -- sunny and cool enough to hike without a problem.

I can recommend a lovely B & B in Cortez [which is on the way to Moab]Inn at McElmo Canyon

www.theinnatmcelmocanyon.com

and in moab: Cali Cochitta B &B.
http://www.moabdreaminn.com/

Both are lovely places to stay with great breakfasts and wonderful hosts.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM

I meant to ask where you are flying from? The only places you can fly into Durango from is Denver, Salt Lake City, Dallas and Phoenix I think. And it is pretty expensive to add it on.

Debi
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I am using frequent flyer miles from Baltimore to Den and on to Durango and then SCL to Denver and home. I have a hold for 72 hours but will now go ahead and confirm because of your great posts, Thank you so much. I will definitely plan on staying 2 night at Mesa Verde. We will arrive 8 PM. Should I plan to stay the night in Durango so I can see the town and then drive to Mesa Verde and stay Cortez B&B for the 2nd night or would you just skip Durango?
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Hi heyjude,

April is a nice time to visit Moab, just don't go during Easter week whatever you do!!!!! Easter week is the annual 4x4 week in Moab and there are literally thousands of people there. 4x4 of all types, RV's, can't get into a restaurant to save your life. You won't find lodging for that week at this point anyway!

April weather can be either sunny and warm or cold, windy and rainy. Spring is unpredictable.

If you can afford to fly into Durango, great. Mesa Verde is very special. It's been a while since I was there, but I don't think it's a very far from Durango to Cortez. Go ahead and drive to theB&B on your night of arrival.

1 nt Cortez
4 nts Moab
1 nt Torrey

Sounds good to me. Have fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I would stay the first night in Durango {tell me what kind of room you are looking for and I can make suggestions;}. You could drive to Cortez and stay first night, but from airport to B&B would be about 75 minutes and then in morning you would have to backtrack about 15 minutes to get to Mesa Verde entrance. Your call.

The drive from Durango to the entrance of Mesa Verde will be about a 30 minute drive [160 west]. To get up and into the park will be another 45 minutes or so. Get there first thing and buy tour tickets. Spend the day, bring a camera, binoculars.

That night, drive into Cortez [about a 10 minutes drive from entrance to Mesa Verde on 160 west] have dinner in Cortez and drive to Inn at McElmo. Let me know what kind of food you'd like and I can make suggestions for dinner.

From Inn, head on over to Moab.

When you make your reservations-- tell Eric and Una @ the Inn at McElmo and tell Kim and David @Cali Cochitta -- tell them Debi and Gene from Cortez sent you.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34868124

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks posters. We actually have another day. We fly in on Sat and out the following Sun. Apr. 14-22nd. Easter is the 8th this year I think. I think that sounds good to stay in Durango rather than drive over to Cortez that first night. We're not real fussy about where we sleep. I was thinking maybe we could wait and rent a car the following morning, if I can do that in Durango instead of at the airport. So if the airport is not far out and we can get transportation to town easily, I think we'd do that. So any suggestions for in town Durango lodging and where to walk to t eat. We like good food but not necessarily fine dining. We're packing to hike not dressing up or such. So thanks for any further suggestions. I will definitely make reservation at Cali Cochitta,and tell them Debi and Gene sent us, but I was wondering about staying in the park at Mesa Verde. Has anyone had any experience with that?
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Not sure if the lodge in the park will be open that early.

The Durango airport is about 10 miles from downtown. There are car rental facilities at airport. I think you can rent a car at Doubletree Hotel in town, but it might cost more.

http://www.durangogov.org/services/a...html#transport

Prices should be pretty good in Durango for a hotel room at that time of year. I suggest the General Palmer as my first choice or The Strater for my second choice. You can walk to a number of restaurants from either.

The Doubletree is also convenient, as is Best Western and Holiday Inn. These a just a bit further walk, but easy enough.

As far as dress, casual is the only way we do things here! Very rarely is anything dress up! Jeans, sweaters, fleece, is our norm. Even in nice restaurants.

I will put together some restaurant suggestions for you and post back.

Debi

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:36 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Farview lodge for one night in June a couple of years back. We'd done the Jeep tour to Silverton and the train ride back to Durango and felt like we wanted to be farther down the road. The room we stayed was nothing special for a room, but the view was spectacular. We could see all the way to the mountains west of Albuquerque and could make out Shiprock. There was no television or telephone in the room which suited us fine. The next morning we were near the first in line for tour tickets for one of the ruins at Mesa Verde after a leisurely breakfast.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Far View Lodge opened last year on April 21st. So figure about same this year.
Debi
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Things are moving ahead. Confirmed my flight to Durango and out of SLC: booked 4 nights at Cali Cochitta (They were filling up fast. But I'll put more thought into Durango before making a decidion. Thanks for the info. Also Kim at the B&B said there is a cave on the way to SLC which she hadn't been to in quite a while but was a suggestion. Anyone been there. And maybe stop at Sundance.We're not flying out until 2pm on the 22nd, so we have 2 nights to ramble back or tour SLC.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Maybe she was referring to Timpanogos Cave http://www.nps.gov/tica/planyourvisit/hours.htm but it won't be open until May 12. Park City is always a fun place to stay.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM

We've been by there but not stopped --

http://www.theholeintherock.com/

A neighbor here said it was interesting.

Debi

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM

This is from NY Times. I listed several restaurants I liked on it, there are other suggestions as well.

http://tinyurl.com/2l57lg

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Debi for the websites. And the inn suggestions. Really looking forward to Cali Cochitta. I also booked the Rochester Hotel in Durango and just the Best Western in Cortez. I think both will be fine being only for one night each. Disappointed that the cave does not open until mid May. But I'm usre we will find other things to do on our way to SLC and will probably take a city tour since we will be there until noon on Sun.
If anyone has any suggestions for staying in SLC or activities please send them on. Thanks.