Notices

MOAB ,BRYCE & ZION N P

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOAB ,BRYCE & ZION N P

We are planning a trip this Sept. to the NP's in Utah. We have 10 to 12 days and need help in planning this trip. Last year this forum laid out the most wonderful trip to Yellowstone and the GTNP for my wife and I; so I'm back for more expert help. First my wife is in a wheelchair with Parkinson Disease; But, a great traveler and I'm a great "pusher" ! We have the flexibility to fly into SLC and out of LV or in and out of either one. I want to spend 4 to 5 days in Moab and then also see the Bryce and Zion NP and any other "special" sites that are doable in the 10 to 12 days. Obviously we are not "hikers" but we do love the scenery and the granduer of the NPs. Would appreciate any ideas as to where to start and where to go first and places to stay and have meals. We can be very flexible but do want to see most of what to see either by driving and stopping and short trips on paved paths and or boardwalks . Thanks in advance for your ideas and tips : they sure worked out last year in the GTNP and Yellowstone ! Don D.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:56 PM

ttt for Don
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM

While at Bryce, take a car ride thru Park at both dusk and dawn - something about the lighting makes it spectacular and you are almost guaranteed to see animals.

Also at Bryce, have dinner one night at Hoodoo Cafe in Tropic, UT (about 15 minutes from the Park entrance near Ruby's Hotel). Local place - we had great conversations with local people there.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM

Hi Don,

In thinking about wheelchair accessible paths in the UT Natl Parks, I realize there aren't that many! Not a lot of boardwalks like in Yellowstone.

In Arches, I can't think of any paved, short trails to the sights. The good news is you can still enjoy the park because many of the favorite arches are within viewing distance of parking lots.

In Moab, you may be able to do a float trip on the river. They are very tame. You will be the best judge of that depending on your wife's situation.

In Zion, there are a couple of accessible paths - Riverwalk and Emerald Pools (would be a bit of a puffer as it is a bit uphill). The main challenge in Zion will be riding the shuttles. They are accessible, but check with the Visitor's Center about making advance arrangements if possible. The shuttles do have wheelchair space, etc., but they are also usually quite full. I think wheelchairs have priority for the appropriate spot on the shuttles.

Bryce has most of it's canyon viewpoints paved and much of the rim too. Lots of beautiful spots for sitting and enjoying the views and a picnic! A couple of the viewpoints, again, would be real puffers due to high altitude and include, but you can choose and still enjoy the views from a bit further back.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM

A possible itinerary would be:
-start SLC IS 15-then road 6 to Helper then rd.191-rd 10-75 to Capitol reefnat.Park(stay in Torrey Rimrock motel is nice).Then on to Moab by rds.74-IS 70 on exit 202 take the right road 128 following the Colorado river(very scenic)all the way to Moab.We stayed at the Apache motel(where John Wayne used to stay while shooting westerns in the neighbourhood)After your stay you can return to Torrey the same way and there take road 12 straight to Bryce canyon.I'm afraid the hikes there are not doable in a wheelchair but the road runs along the rim and there are many overlooks.From Bruce it's easy to get to Zion.We stayed in Springdale(near the south park entrance)the Best Western there is great.To return home by Las Vegas just take IS 15.September is the best month for touring.Paul
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:11 AM

Hi,
What a great place to vacation! Love this area, red rocks, beautiful works of nature.
Springdale is at the south entrance to Zion and i have spent lots of time there.
Here is a website:
http://www.utahtravelcenter.com/cities/springdale/
My favorite places to eat there:

Bit and Spur Saloon

Flanigans Inn (also a very nice place to stay, I do remember wheelchair accessible rooms)

Zion Pizza and Noodle Co.
(not sure about wheelchair accesible but you can get take out and sit outside.)

The Cliffrose Lodge and Gardens is a great place to stay; wheelchair accesible.

I'm not the navigator in my family so I'll leave the directional thing to others. We lived in Salt Lake City, so have driven from there many times; but now that we live outside Utah, we fly into Vegas and drive through a neat canyon on the way to St George.

Oh, If you don't have time to get all the way to Moab, Capital Reef is a wonderful, less crowded park. Not the same formations as Arches, but a beautiful, easy to drive through place.

{why am I getting two links in my post?}