Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moab, Arches are in RV - Recommendation please

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I am thinking about Moab area for 5-7 days with my wife and 2 boys(14 and 11). Planning to fly from Seattle into Salt lake city and renting an RV/Camper van and drive to Moab and visit Arches and canyon lands. I have following questions and appreciate if you can help.
Questions:
1. Debating about RVing versus staying hotels and ranches. Never done RVing or staying in desert ranches before. Any thoughts on one versus other? Is it easy to find RV sites that offer hookups?
2. What will be a good itinerary? We would like to do family friendly rafting, mountain biking and hiking and night photography.
3. If RVing, are there rv resorts with hookups that you can recommend. Since tis is the first time, we are a bit skeptical of the experience will be.
4. Any other places or experience not to be missed in this trip?

Thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 08:24 PM

1. Search this board for Arches, Moab, Canyonlands. There will be many, many trip reports and queries--all with suggested itineraries. If you click on my user name, you will find reports for all of these--with kids.
2. I don't RV and wouldn't do it. You would have to tow a car behind you if you want to go anywhere on many roads. Just drive and stay in hotels. We go every year and stay in one of the Marriott Hotels north of town--we always opt for the family suite with king bed and bunk beds. They have a great pool.
3. Mountain biking--search the web--plenty of places to rent bikes in Moab and they will give you maps, recommend routes etc
4. Hiking--check out www.nps.gov for Arches and Canyonlands--both sites list all of the hikes in the park. If you want hikes outside the parks, check out the Moab Visitors Center page--they have a list of hikes on BLM land.
5. With 5-7 days, I would add on Mesa Verde--click my user name for a trip report on that par as well.
6. You don't mention what time of year you will be visiting-that makes a big difference.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by sarov View Post
1. Debating about RVing versus staying hotels and ranches. Never done RVing or staying in desert ranches before. Any thoughts on one versus other? Is it easy to find RV sites that offer hookups?
2. What will be a good itinerary? We would like to do family friendly rafting, mountain biking and hiking and night photography.
3. If RVing, are there rv resorts with hookups that you can recommend. Since tis is the first time, we are a bit skeptical of the experience will be.
4. Any other places or experience not to be missed in this trip?
I have just done a larger trip including Moab with my boys, and since they are precisely the same age as yours, I felt it could help to share our experiences with you.
1. Despite zero RV experience, we chose RV for a large portion of the trip and enjoyed it much. RVing is not cheaper than staying in motels. On the upside, you don't have to haul your stuff into the hotel room and back in the car every time you change location, and you're independent when it comes to meals, don't have to dine out all the time. And our kids loved the vehicle.
2. 5-7 days just in Moab is maybe too long, you could throw in other beautiful nearby National Parks like Bryce, Zion, Escalante (which would also include Utah Route 12 which is a magnificent drive), Grand Canyon North Rim.
3. We stayed on the Canyonland RV Resort & Campground in Moab, they have full hook-ups. As RV amateurs, we did not know that you can survive several days without hookups, too. The place is shady and clean, and in walking distance to downtown Moab and a supermarket.
4. One thing to recommend is the Raven's Rim Zip Line adventure. They take you up with an ATV (already great fun!) and then you get to do 6 zip lines. Your boys will love it. Stunning views too. Arches NP and Canyonlands NP are obvious when in Moab. Rafting sounds like a great idea, too ... we didn't have the time since we only spent 2 full days there.

You can look up the entire trip report here: Southwest Trip Report
Whatever you do, have fun on your trip!

Last edited by mac_kraut; Jan 16th, 2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typos