Search

Moab and Bluff

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab and Bluff

Just want to give a shootout to the Desert Bistro in Moab. I was just there this weekend. Oh my heavens!! Talk about AMAZING food!!! And---they are right in back of the Best Western Canyonlands Inn. AWESOME to be able to walk across the street to sleep after an amazing meal and wine! The Canyonlands Inn is really nice and cushy. I love staying there. Stopped by RedRock Bakery for a scone and coffee in the morning--fabulous as always. And capped off my overnight stay with a trip to Back of Beyond Books. I always get in so much trouble there!! If you want the best guide books, books on the west, or books in general, this is the place to go!!

In Bluff, I had the pleasure once again of staying at the Recapture Lodge. Somebody has built a fancy new hotel south of town. Sorry. I will always vote for the familiar faces at the Recapture. They can guide you on your adventures and they are just awesome folks!!

I did a trip with the 4 Corners School and the Sierra Club. I would highly recommend doing a trip with either organization. I go with the Sierra Club national outings every year. Its a great way to "fill my bucket" and come back home a much better mom!!
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:21 AM

Yes, the Desert Bistro is amazing. We're planning on focusing on the Bluff/Cedar Mesa area on our next trip. We'll have to check out Recapture Lodge.

Will there be a trip report?
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

No trip report--3 days river rafting with the 4 corners school and 3 days backpacking with Sierra Club. Not exactly a Fodors trip--more like something for Backpacker magazine

It's my annual get away from it all trip where I do a different desert backpack. I love schleping large loads over difficult terrain on questionable trails, sleeping in the sand, eating one pot meals, carrying everything I need on my back and leaving everything else behind, and going without a shower for a week. (well,the going without a shower really starts to lose its appeal by day 3 )
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

oh no--kids stay with Daddy--its good for all of them
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Good for you StantonHyde! Sounds like a great trip. I like to backpack too, but haven't gone for a long time.

I've been known to bath in a mosquito infested lake and wash my hair in a cold river (biodegradable soap of course) - yes 3 days seems to be the turning point