Misty Fiord

Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misty Fiord

We will be in Ketchikan June 13. Our cruise ship docks from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00. I received a "Visit Ketchikan" tourist brochure and saw a page that listed numerous floatplane excursions to Misty Fiords.
I know there is a boat trip through the narrows too but I think the floatplane would be a thrill. Do you have any suggestions on a company that would provide window seats, and headphones for the pilot's explanation of the area?
I did not see any time schedule for the floatplane. I have been in Alaska before in July and weather was great. I know Ketchikan has a lot of rain and wonder about the logistics of a cancellation due to poor weather.
Here are the floatplane companies mentioned in tourist book:
1.) Alaska Air Adventures- Misty Fjords air
2.) Family Air Tours
3.) Helicopter Air Alaska
4.) Island Wings Air
5.) Pirate Airworks
6.) Taquan Air
I have looked all of them up on their website and read reviews. Certainly would appreciate another perspective on what someone else experienced since it is a pricey excursion--found $279 up to $349. Also, because of increment
weather is it advisable to wait until 10 days before 6/13 and check weather for that day. Not sure if these Misty Fiord seaplanes book up early. I did have a friend who got off the ship and went to a kiosk and got a discounted ticket.
Another friend said there are hoards of people at these ports and you will wait in line forever.
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 05:49 PM

We had a cruise stop in Ketchikan and took a float plane over Misty Fjord in August 2018. It was such a fun, beautiful and peaceful experience! The pilot was a lovely man and very safety-conscious. Sadly, that same plane and pilot were involved in a mid-air collision with a Taquan Air float plane nine months later. Taquan Air had another fatal accident that same week. You can google 2019 Alaska mid-air collision if you'd like more info. Another seaplane carrying cruise ship passengers crashed in 2021. Do a lot of research, beyond the google reviews, before making a decison.

Old Feb 4th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

wtm003 Misty Fiord

I did look up the news report of the floatplane collision-tragic. I know there are risks on any small plane. I think I will wait and evaluate weather conditions 10 days before. The 2019 crash had a video and
it was a beautiful, clear day. Obviously pilot error. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We took a catamaran out from Ketchikan through the fjords and a float plane back. Our flight was the last one out because fog was setting in. Go early if you can.
Ours was a ship's excursion.
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 11:49 AM

We toured with Island Wings to the Bear Viewing area. Simply magnificant. But if you decide to proceed, they fill up very early.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Schmerl,
What company would take you on catamaran 1 way and floatplane back to Ketchikan? I have done some research and never came across this option.
Also, do you remember how long the trip took? Our ship is docked 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Thanks
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barminski
Schmerl,
What company would take you on catamaran 1 way and floatplane back to Ketchikan? I have done some research and never came across this option.
Also, do you remember how long the trip took? Our ship is docked 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Thanks
We took that excursion through the cruise line's offerings. It was wonderful. We were on Royal Caribbean.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 07:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Barminski, is your cruise a round trip from either Seattle or Vancouver, or a one-way trip to/from Whittier or Seward? What are your other ports of call and what activities have you investigated in them?

The reason for asking is that a Misty Fjords flight, like any cruise excursion, is in competition with other activities and excursions, be they in Ketchikan, or Juneau, or anywhere else. Some people might find a Misty Fjords flight to be a life-changing experience; others might want to do a flightseeing tour over the icefields and glaciers near Juneau, or, if their cruise includes Seward, spend their money on a tour of Kenai Fjords National Park, with its wildlife and tidewater glaciers.

My own view - completely personal - is that Ketchikan is probably the best port of call in SE Alaska to get a feel for the rich Native American heritage of the region. You can visit Totem Bight State Park for a very low price (ride the city bus from downtown for a couple of bucks) or visit the Native village of Saxman, just south of town. But that's me, your preferences may vary. It might depend where else you'll visit and what's on offer there.

Old Feb 6th, 2023, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Barminski, is your cruise a round trip from either Seattle or Vancouver, or a one-way trip to/from Whittier or Seward? What are your other ports of call and what activities have you investigated in them?

The reason for asking is that a Misty Fjords flight, like any cruise excursion, is in competition with other activities and excursions, be they in Ketchikan, or Juneau, or anywhere else. Some people might find a Misty Fjords flight to be a life-changing experience; others might want to do a flightseeing tour over the icefields and glaciers near Juneau, or, if their cruise includes Seward, spend their money on a tour of Kenai Fjords National Park, with its wildlife and tidewater glaciers.

My own view - completely personal - is that Ketchikan is probably the best port of call in SE Alaska to get a feel for the rich Native American heritage of the region. You can visit Totem Bight State Park for a very low price (ride the city bus from downtown for a couple of bucks) or visit the Native village of Saxman, just south of town. But that's me, your preferences may vary. It might depend where else you'll visit and what's on offer there.
Our cruise is round trip from Vancouver. We debark the ship at Whittier and then go over land to Denali. I have been to Alaska before and rented a motor home
and spent 2 weeks driving around. I have seen calving glaciers so that is not my #1 interest. We took at floatplane to Kenai and saw the 800 pd. brown bears at Brook Falls. Yes, I know Ketchikan has a wonderful Native American display and we plan to visit it. The ship docks from 7:00 a.m. to 3, so we will have to be somewhat rushed to see the highlights.

I am quite interested in Island Wings tour over Misty Fiords. They offer a 7:45 a.m. flight and I believe it is 1 1/2 hours long. That would give me time to see other
things like the Totem High State Park. Thank you for your input, very helpful. I should add that my husband and adult daughter are accompanying me. They are thinking of sea kayaking while I am in the air. Do you have any suggestions on a reputable sea kayak company where they may see wildlife? They are both athletic and capable of kayaking long distances.
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 06:59 AM

This is so helpful, thank you!!