Scenery

Cost of Housing and Land

Weather

Pollution

Crime

Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Memphis TN and have lived in each region, east, middle, and west. The cost of living here is pretty low, that attracts a lot of folks particularly compared to the west and northeast. The landscape in most of TN is beautiful, even if I am biased! We also have low pollution, but folks with allergies should know the pollen and such can be high in certain seasons. Crime will vary, here in Memphis is the highest. I lived in Dallas TX for five years and although it had many amenities, I am glad to be back home.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on Tennessee. How about Missouri and Kentucky? Anyone have any info on those?

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:50 PM

I live in Tennessee and you must know that Tennessee is really three states. There is East, Middle and West and each is very different. East has the mountains, Middle is a mix between rural and urban, and West is rural until you get to Memphis. The accents are different in each part of the state and each has great cities, with East having Knoxville and Chattanooga, there is Nashville in the Middle and Memphis in the West. As for the difference between Tennessee and Kentucky, there is little. Since I live in Tennessee, I think it is the better state but I am biased. The cost of living is low, especially property taxes and there is no income tax in Tennessee. There is a pollution problem in the cities and it is a real problem in the Smokies. Crime is low. It is not too cold in the winter but can be very hot in the summer, especially in August. You have a real change in seasons, which is something I really love. Spring and fall are both lovely. There are really "rednecks" here and the South in general has become very conservative over the past couple of years. Most people go to church and vote Republican. Football is king and the food is great. Hope this helps. Sorry I can't reply about Missouri. Oh, and the people are really nice, Southern hospitality is real. As you may notice, both of your replies come from Tennessee!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:00 PM

another vote fot Tennessee
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM

KY & TN both get a decent amount of severe thunderstorms including high winds with tornados but TN seems to get more ice storms than KY.

Housing & land costs in KY depend on the part of the state. East, South & Western is cheaper where the north (Louisville, Lexington, Cinci suburbs)tends to be a little more due to larger cities and horse farms.

TN doesn't have state income taxes but has higher sales tax than KY.

Landscapes of KY & TN are similar in that it is mountainous in the east and more flat in the west.