Reload this Page >

Miscellaneous SF questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 09:29 AM
JR

Parking in downtown San Francisco: someone told me some public garages charge $10 a day (a 24 hr. time-frame). Other say $30 a day. I need to know which is correct, where they are located, are these run by the city and are there phone numbers I can call?

Also, we have a hotel w/ a kitchenette. Where is a place to buy groceries?

Thanks for any info.!

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 10:08 AM
kam

Parking garage rates vary by where they are located in SF. The biggest one is the underground at Union Square. There are also several up on Nob Hill near the Mark Hopkins and Grace Cathedral, on Van Ness, and across from Pier 39 and beneath the Embarcadero Buildings. I would tell you that I think it will cost between $10 and $30 per 24 hour period, but it depends on where you park. I suggest that you call your hotel and ask them which is the closest and least expenive garage. Can't help with food shopping, but there are lots of places. We live on the Peninsula so never grocery shop in the city! Must you have a car?? It's really of little use in SF. You might want to reconsider and just rent one when you want to go out of the city for the day.

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 12:10 PM
JR

One more question....where do you buy MUNI passes?
Thanks!

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 04:44 PM
ray seva

You can buy Muni passes at grocery stores,pharmacies...lots of mom & pop stores.

As far as grocery shopping...I know lots of people say you should shop at mom-and-pop/corner grocery stores instead of supermarkets. They say it's charming,cute,in the neighborhood, has character, etc.
Don't listen to these yupsters/Euro-wannabees.
It's a lot better (and cheaper) to shop at Safeway. Bigger selection of stuff, too. Assuming you're staying near all the tourist places, there are Safeways near Japantown, in the Marina, and near fisherman's wharf.
Another cool place is WHOLE FOODS at Franklin/California Sts. Big selection,lots of organic/natural stuff...and pre-cooked stuff too.

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 05:10 PM
Bill

I have found that the Sutter street garage (Sutter & Stockton) by Union Square is fairly cheap. Also the one on Mission and 5th street near San Francisco Centre. I don't know what the 24 hour rates are. A good general resource is www.sanfrancisco.sidewalk.com

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 05:42 AM
SFSally

I just stayed a couple nights in San Francisco last week. We live less than an hour away but love to play tourist in the city. We stayed at a timeshare resort on Nob Hill ( Nob Hill Inn ) and parked in a parking garage on the corner of California and Taylor. The charge was $16.00 Max per day ( 24 hours ). There was another garage 2 blocks away that was $13.00 /day with unlimited entries/exits. It was not as convenient as the first one. Both of these garages are in the Nob Hill area close to the Fairmont, Mark Hopkins etc. Sometimes the hotels will have some sort of deal. Expect to pay no less then $10.00 /24 hrs and maybe as high as $18.00. You shouldn't have to pay anywhere near $30.00 /day except under very rare circumstances.