Minneapolis questions

Search

Minneapolis questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minneapolis questions

First time to MPLS/St. Paul. We are a family of 4 (kids aged 1.5 and 5). We like to stay in downtown areas where we can walk around, shop and eat. Is the Nicollet Mall reasonably hip and interesting? One post I read indicated it was in decline. We aren't all that hip anymore, but we like to be in the center of things. Is the Embassy Suites downtown within safe walking distance from the entertainment/restaurant/pedestrian areas? (I can see it is a few blocks away and that can mean a lot of things in different cities). If not, what hotel would you recommend (perhaps 100-150ish/night)? Or would you recommend a different area entirely? Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Bloomington is a nice area.

The Mall of America is there. It has a huge indoor amusement park (Camp Snoopy).
The Minnesota Zoo is within a few miles.
Valleyfair is a nice amusement park near Shakopee.
Como Park in St. Paul is nice. It also has a zoo.
Minnehaha Falls Park is nice. It is close to Bloomington.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Hi-I live just south of downtown. It is very hip and if anything, Nicollet Mall is very fashionable. Not sure how you can entertain young children downtown - it is restaurants, shopping and evening entertainment (like most downtowns) although the Twins play at the dome downtown. The Embassy Suites is fine. You don't say what time of year. Glad to help with any specifics -- although I don't have kids.....
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:58 PM

I've stayed at the Executive Suites (which is next to Embassy Suites -- it was the longer-stay hotel, although it has turned into condos.) The hotel is nice (family stayed there), and the location is good, although you're right, it's a bit of a walk away from Nicollet Mall -- maybe ten minutes? Possibly longer with kids. The fun thing is that you can get there through the skyways -- I don't know if you know about those -- pedestrian walkways which connect most of the downtown buildings at the second-story level. There are little shops and things all through the skyways, and you pass through the lobby/atrium areas of all the big buildings on your way. You could walk from the Embassy Suites all the way to the Nicollet Mall area without going outside -- nice when it's cold, or when it's hot and muggy outside. The first time through, it can be a little tricky, but there are maps of the system posted throughout. It could be fun for kids, looking down over the streets as you pass through. The skyways are open during usual business hours, as I recall.

I wouldn't say the Nicollet Mall area is in decline at all -- the farmer's market there is fun. But it's really just a long pedestrian avenue -- not necessarily thrilling for kids. I liked Brit's Pub, which I think was down around 12th (down one end of Nicollet Mall.) There were quite a few other restaurants there. The Mary Tyler Moore statue is also located on Nicollet Mall, somewhere around 7th I think.

I assume you'll be driving -- but one nice thing about being downtown is that it's fairly easy to get buses to other parts of town -- I used to take the bus out to the Mall of America (although with kids, I'm sure driving would be less hassle.) The light rail system was just about to open when I was last there.

Another fun area to walk around, shop and eat is the Uptown area, which is maybe ten minutes away by car (and easily reached by bus, too.) It's the "funkier" area of town.

I love Minneapolis -- have a great trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:13 AM
TC

Bitter; The downtown area of Minneapolis is NOT in decline -- in fact, its in an incredible INcline, UPcline (if that's a word)-- revitalization. It is very hip with lots of shopping and dining choices. I would highly recommend Children's Theater Company very near downtown...wonderful productions geared for their ages. The Minnesota Orchestra (right in downtown) does children's concerts on certain days. Children's Museum...downtown St. Paul (but easy to get to) again, especially geared for young ones. Mall of America (which you can ride the new light-rail to from downtown) is chock full of things for your kids and would be well worth spending one day. One of the best things at MOA is Underwater World...the indoor aquarium. The Minnesota Zoo is very nice, but a bit farther from downtown as is ValleyFair. There are lots of summertime things to do around the downtown lakes - Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, Lake Harriet...such as picnic, playlots, boat rides, swimming. The Lake Harriet Bandshell is especially great for summer concerts..take a picnic and sit on a blanket and let the kids play. Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It is reassuring to hear that the area is still fun. Nicollete Mall may not be entertaining for the kids per se, but if we are close enough we can maybe walk to different restaurants at night or take turns wandering while one parent stays back during nap time, etc....
We're looking at around July 4th. Apparently, there is a taste of Mpls that weekend (comments on that are welcome, please, also). We are hoping to get out of town for a few days into nature. We don't want to go too far north (b/c that adds to our return drive time). Any comments on resorts/lodges would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:24 AM
TC

Taste of Minnesota is a very big event. Details at: http://www.tasteofmn.org/pastsites.htm Its a bit too big for me...tons of people lined up for little tastes of food. Its not something that I would personally take young children too. However, July 4th weekend should be fun in downtown Minneapolis (Taste is in St. Paul). There is usually a great fireworks display over the Mississippi River.

As for getting out to a resort that weekend, I think if you don't already have something booked it could be quite difficult to find a place now. Try something closer to the city...Eloise Butler wildflower garden or a walk around Lake of the Isles. Maybe one of the regional parks....Clifton E. French Park has a great children's playground. It is located in Plymouth, just a few miles from downtown. Or Elm Creek park. Either would be a great place for a picnic and a day out with the kids. http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/index.cfm
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:36 AM
TC

Bitter, Take a look at the city parks.

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=71

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:59 AM
lvk

We were in Minneapolis over 4th of July week a few years ago with our 2 kids. We stayed downtown also because my daughter was competing in the Metrodome. We had a good time wandering around downtown Minneapolis. Those air conditioned skyways made it more pleasant. We also took in the Mall of America.

One day, we drove out to Lake Minnetonka and rented a pontoon-type boat and rode around the lake. (The boat was reserved in advance by our friends.) It was a very nice day. We brought a cooler with food and drinks. The boat came equipped with a barbecue grill, but we didn't use it.

The two things I was not prepared for were the humidity and the mosquitoes. Make sure you have lots of deet!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:30 PM
TC

If you are interested in renting a pontoon boat on Lake Minnetonka see:
www.rockvamboatyards.com

Old May 9th, 2005, 07:14 AM

You have some good answers already, but let me add a few. Another good hotel option is the Marriott Residence Inn or Courtyard at the Depot. This is just about on the river, and a little farther walk to the core of downtown, but they do offer a shuttle bus. There is a pretty cool museum next door about the grain industry (it seems weird, but it is actually a good kid thing). Plus over the 4th, a lot of the downtown stuff will be around the river.

The new light rail line gets you to the Mall of America and Minnehaha park. The park is worth hiking around it.

Ft. Snelling near the airport (also on the light rail line) is cool for kids. They have people recreating how the fort worked in the 1800's. Plus, the fort itself is pretty cool.

As other's have said, resorts or lodges are all going to be a few hours away, but I think the boat rental suggestion on Minnetonka is a great idea. This is a huge lake in the western suburbs.

I just had several friends in town with kids of a variety of ages, so have some good ideas on things to do and resturants if you want more info.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Maybe you could stay in Stillwater, MN. It is a historic river town on the St. Croix River less then 30 minutes from Minneapolis. It is where locals go when they want a change of pace, it can get pretty crowded in the summmer, but to me the crowded aspect seems fun and festive. If you stay there over the fourth of July, they have there own popular fireworks display over the River. There are a lot of area lodging options too. It is kid freindly yet still kind of hip. You can get great ice cream at sabastain Joe's and then sit by the river and watch the boats go by, and the watch the historic lift bridge raise and lower. Might not sound that thrilling, but in the hot summer months it's a nice little getaway. There are public swimming beaches in the state parks, just a little ways from there. The St. Criox river is a clean river. I grew up swimming in it.
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:23 AM

My opinion is that the downtown area is not a very hip area. The only time I ever even go downtown is if there is a big event I want to attend, or when I was a few years younger, if I wanted to dance all night long. I find it very generic, and in the summer with hot temps. and w/ children I don't think it sounds very pleasant.

The thing you need to know about the twin cities, is that it is not just Minneapolis, the twin cities is also St. Paul. Most of the great areas in the twin cities are in urban Neighborhoods, like: Uptown in Minneapolis, grand ave/summit ave in St. Paul, All around lakes: Calhoun, Nokomis, Harriet, in Minneapolis. I can't think of any hotels in those areas so you might have to stay downtown, but just make sure to not judge the twin cities based on just that area, and try to get out and see the other areas I mentioned. I'll give you more specifics if you want.

I favor St. Paul over Minneapolis because it is more historic and laid back. Downtown St. Paul is more kid friendly, but admittedly it can be quite quiet. The taste of Minnesota is held at the Minnesota state capital grounds in St. Paul. People do take children during the day time (I think there is even a kids area), and the fireworks over the fourth are incredible and there are tons of people and families there. The state capital is near Grand Ave./Summit Ave. area in St. Paul This is a great area. Summit Ave is lined with grand mansions and history. Scott Fitzgerald used to live in one of them. Grand Ave is lined with shops, restaurants, coffee shops. I used to live in this area and I was very happy there. The state capital where the festival is held is also very beautiful and worth seeing.

My sister lives in Minneapolis in the fantastic Linden Hills neighborhood near lake Harriet. If you want I can ask her for more specifics on more kid friendly options.

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:17 AM

article:
Unique hotels abound in downtown
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...heretostay.htm
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:13 AM
TC

Cherian; FYI: Taste of Minnesota is no longer held on the State Capitol grounds. It is held on Harriet Island now in downtown St Paul.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Hi. I'm from Minnesota but now live in California. In February we stayed at the Marquette Hotel downtown and loved it. Parking was reasonable. the hotel was lovely and the rates very good, at least on the weekend. However, we don't have kids, and if we did I'd prefer to stay south of Minneapolis near ValleyFair, the Minnesota Zoo, etc. If you want to take long walks around the lakes or at Minnehaha Falls, I'd stay in the city of Minneapolis, so it all depends on what you like to do as a family. We did go to the Minnesota Zoo while there and it was a quick 20-minute drive from downtown during non-rush hour. The Twin Cities is just a great place, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip!
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Hi Bitter,

With children, I would prefer downtown St. Paul over Minneapolis.

Downtown St. Paul has the Children's Museum, & the Science Museum, which is very geared to children of all ages. As I recall, I think there is some type of Doll Museum, as well, I could be wrong on that though.

Also, the Camp Snoopy, Mall of America would be a short drive away.

The Como Zoo is in St. Paul.

Have fun! T.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input so far. We've moved the visit back a couple weeks. From the responses above, I think the DT Minneapolis will be w/in walking distance of shops, restaurants, etc. How does the location of the St. Paul Embassy Suites compare? I realize a number of kid -friendly activities are on the St. Paul side, but what is in the immediate (walking) vacinity of that hotel (as far as restaurants, entertainment, etc.) Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

We just returned from a week in the Twin Cities. Thanks for all your help. This will not be a blow by blow, but will contain my humble observations and opinions. I realize only 10 people will read this (b/c it isn't about Hawaii or Vegas hehehe), but it may help someone else some day.
I could not help making a comparison to Chicago and would tactfully suggest that the Twin Cities may be a better destination, particularly if you have kids. (I like Chicago, but Mpls/St.P arguably has much shopping and more to do).
We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown Mpls. Tired hotel, though adequate. (Didn't realize there was a bail bondsman on one side of the hotel, ugh). Unless you are going to the Metrodome you might be better off on a hotel closer to or on the other side of Nicollet.
During the day we felt very comfortable walking from our hotel to the Nicollet mall/warehouse areas. One exception: on the weekend the downtown is pretty empty except right around Nicollet, and the skyways were particularly creepy. We were never out late, so keep that in mind, too. (On 2 or 3 occasions we observed what appeared to be very oddly dressed couples or, more likely, pimp/prostitute couples in midday or late afternoon in well populated areas. Just seemed a little early for that.
Although it is pretty easy to get around, particularly between the two cities, downtown Mpls is confusing. This is inevitable where there are one way streets, but as you get farther from the immediate center there are obstructions, too. I realize that this isn't restricted to Mpls, but some of the streets AND cross streets are numbered, creating addresses like 3rd N 3rd or 305 N. 3rd. Very confusing for a visitor.
Attractions to come.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Great Science museum: Not hard core, but good for children and adults. Kids museum was ok We accidently visited on the free Sunday and that definitely tainted our opinion. Peeked in the St. Paul Cathedral, which is simply amazing. The whole capital complex, Cathedral and downtown was attractive. Enjoyed a trip up to the St. Croix falls area. The Mall was fun, even if you don't shop much. Camp Snoopy and Legoland were a hit. The Walker has some nice exhibits, though it seemed stretched thin in a couple places (w/more mediocre exhibits). [I like modern art museums for a variety of reasons: They are interesting, entertaining and challenging, and they also contain pure works of crap that are either offensive or pathetic. Of course, the art and the adjectives are in the eye of the beholder.] Enjoyed the Mill Museum and its view; wished the nearby boat lock visitor's center was open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -