Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Minneapolis area restaurant recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Rand

Going to the Twin Cities next month. Is there a "new" place in town that I shouldn't miss? I've been going to MSP for many years and am in a dining rut. Can someone offer suggestions on casual and dressier places to try? I enjoyed Lord Fletcher's last summer and would like another recommendation.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 07:40 AM
Sara Cushman

A newish restaurant in the Hyatt regency downtown is Oceanaire - everyone has nothing but good things to say about it. A brand new Italian place opened last week downtown Mpls on Nicollet Mall called Zelo-very cool looking and supposed to be "modern Italian food". I am drawing a blank for other new places but will let you know if I think of any others.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 03:50 PM
sally

Oceanaire is the new "hot" restaurant in Mpls. Expensive but worth it. Make your reservations now. More akin to Lord Fletcher's and downtown on the mall is Brit's Pub. It's especially fun when the weather's good. The have a bowling on the green area located over a parking garage. Sounds odd but it's a good night out and not too costly. Other more upscale spots are The Local and Capital Grill.
Eat well, Sally

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 09:38 AM
tina

The Loring Cafe is not "new" but it is my favorite restaurant in Mpls. If you have not been there, I recommend dining in the back alley. The atmosphere is very romantic. I also enjoyed the unique wait staff. On one of my visits my server had on a very elegant ball gown. She looked like she was heading to the opera after work.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 05:19 AM
CB

Joe's Garage in downtown Mpls at 1610 Harmon Place has innovative American food and a great "roof garden" seating area. Very attentive service. Casual dress for the lunch crowd, and I assume the same for evening.

At the Mall of America, Cafe Odessey has lots of interesting, spicy, food choices (may be too spicy sometimes) and nice travel decor. We liked the Manchu Pichu room with waterfalls & fountains best.

Near Southdale Mall, on France Avenue, another (Romano's) Macaroni Grill just opened. Very upscale prices, crowded but you can usually get a table/seat in the bar area with no waiting, casual dress OK. They have an outdoor patio.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 08:54 AM
tim

My girlfriend and I have had some very romantic glasses of wine and dinner at Kincaids near Bloomington. Don't miss the Fireworks Shrimp. Very hot and spicy.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 09:36 PM
Dii

We live in Ca. but get back to Mpls. often and I agree with all the other posts but I also enjoy Murray's downtown for an old-time steak dinner. Also love Kincaid's in Bloomington. Have a great time.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 12:40 PM
Colleen

I couldn't help noticing that you said you'd be visiting the Twin Cities, but that all the recommendations so far have been for Minneapolis! Don't overlook St. Paul! There are two good restaurants downtown: One is the St. Paul Grill in the St. Paul Hotel, overlooking Rice Park, and the other is a hot, new Italian place, Pazzaluna. If you venture into the neighborhoods you might try Muffuletta, with it's casual Italian fare and outdoor veranda. It's near the St. Paul campus of the U of M, on Como. Over in Minneapolis I like the Uptown area, which boasts a great Giorgio, Figlio's (my favorite for calamari), and Famous Dave's for terrific barbecue and great music. If you're by Lake Harriet, stop in at Dixie's for a Bloody Mary and some casual southern style food after a walk around the lake. (Close to Uptown, too.)Enjoy!

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 06:57 PM
TC

Not to be missed - Cafe Havana. I had pistachio crusted salmon stuffed with avacado on the last visit. To die for! Even if you eat somewhere else, go to Cafe Havana for desert. The Tres Leche cake is pure heaven.

On "the Lake" (Minnetonka)do St. Albin's Boathouse. Beatiful view and wonderful food. Casual outdoor dining with an upscale twist. Try the cooked to order pasta bar. Enjoy!