minimum age for attending Broadway plays

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minimum age for attending Broadway plays

Are very young children or babies allowed at Broadway plays?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well - I'll assume you are serious and not a troll since yo've been around for quite a while.

I ask in all seriousness - WHY on Earth would you consider taking a baby or todler to a broadway show? Except for maybe Lion King-type shows (not babies/todlers though). Most children do enjoy the Lion King. But it was designed for them afterall (but I do know some little ones who were very scared by the Lion King)

Some places/events are simply inappropriate for small children. Not to mention, the person sitting next to you who forked over $100+ for his ticket will be VERY unhappy when a mother and baby sits down next to him . . . . .
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:37 AM

I believe you would need to check on the policies of the theater/show that you are interested in. Some like Spelling Bee specifically state that Children under the age of 5 are not permitted in the theatre, for Scoundrels the cut off is age 4. Beauty & the Beast, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Lion King are listed as "Kid Friendly". If there is a specific show you are interested in, go to the ticket site for that show (telecharge or ticketcharge) and look under "Show Advisory" for restrictions
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:51 AM

If you can afford the tickets, you can afford a babysitter.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:51 AM
GoTravel

Marsh, because there is an age limit on most plays and children are not allowed free, babies are pretty much non existent at Broadway plays.

So, even if an infant is allowed in the theatre (The Lion King probably), they still have to purchase an expensive ticket.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:24 AM

I forget whether the standard is children 4 and under and children under 4 for most shows. Sorry, no babies. And, others have said, why would anyone think of taking a baby to a show?
I might add that while you may be allowed to take young children to a show, I would hope that good sense and judgment would prevail in making a choice that is appropriate for a youngster.
In response to GoTravel's comment, I don't think that any Broadway theater would allow an infant into a performance.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses! I certainly am not a troll! My son & his wife won a trip to NYC. She is 7 months pregnant & they have four young children! They are leaving the 3 oldest children behind with friends, but are taking the 10 month old baby with them. One Broadway play is included in their trip, but they also plan to see "Phantom". I wouldn't want to sit near them! They probably don't think they need a ticket for the baby.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:30 AM
GoTravel

They probably will not be able to take the 10 month old into the theater. Because Phantom is all ages, if they are allowed they will be required to purchase a ticket.

There isn't enough room to hold an infant on your lap in the seats.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Tell them not to even try to bring the baby to the theater. The child will NOT be allowed into the theater.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:12 AM

PS: I'm amazed that after having four children, your son and daughter-in-law don't realize how inappropriate and inconsiderate it would be for them to even think of bringing an infant into the theater.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:34 AM
GoTravel

Are you really Howard? I'm not. At all.

My best friend and her husband take their 15 month old child EVERYWHERE!

They had him late in life, she was 40 and he was 47, first child for both, and he goes everywhere with them.

Her significant other is a with Federal Law Enforcement on the alcohol side of things and the child has been in a couple of strip clubs.

So no, it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:02 AM

GoTravel, are you endorsing that practice?
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:10 AM
GoTravel

Which one LOL?

Absolutely not.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:14 AM

I would strongly encourage them to re-think bringing the baby, as everyone mentioned above. In addition to having to buy a ticket for the child (no matter the age), many Broadway shows, including Phantom, are quite loud- I would imagine this could frighten or startle a child. A scared/crying baby would be a disruption to everyone in the audience.

I can understand not wanting to leave a child that young behind, but perhaps the hotel (or other Fodorites) can recommend a reputable babysitting service for the evening.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Just trying to get a few laughs here!
YOu're right though, I shouldn't have been amazed. "Appalled" might have been a better choice!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:21 AM

I repeat: The infant will NOT be allowed into the theater! So, the parents have no choice as to whether or not to buy a ticket for him/her!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:28 AM
GoTravel

As TarheelinNJ so excellently pointed out, it is loud and scare the beegeezus out of the baby.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Update! I just spoke to my son, and a THIRD family has been found to care for the baby, so he won't be going to NYC. These four children are age 6 & under (3 year old girl twins). My husband & I are about to go on a trip to India and we live a 3 hour drive from our son & family, so that's why we are not taking on the grandchildren. Would you nice folks please join me in a moment of silent prayer for these three brave families! They will be on duty for 4 nights & days!

Thanks to all of you for your help! I knew it would not be appropriate to take a baby to the theatre.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:51 AM
GoTravel

LOL!

They have true friends!

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM

As I recall, it's kind a belly button count situation: You got a belly button, you need a ticket. No planning on sitting the baby in your lap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -