Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Milwaukee (MKE) airport hotel with free shuttle?

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel near Milwaukee/General Mitchell International Airport (MKE)? We have a 7am flight on a Sunday morning and really only need a place to crash for a few hours (we'll be coming from a University of Wisconsin football game the following night). If it's got free shuttle service to the airport, that'd be even better because we would drop off the rental car the night before (depending on, and I haven't priced this out yet, if that'll end up saving us anything). Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Not sure what is "inexpensive", but the Clarion Hotel is very conveniently located across the highway from the airport. They do provide shuttle service to the airport according to their website. There are other hotels near the airport and many others south of the airport about a mile. Mapquest the airport and check hotels for more listings if the Clarion is too pricey (probably around $120/night unles you can get a bargain rate). Its location is the best to the airport, but some of the others may have shuttles also. I have not stayed at any of the hotels, but I have been to conferences at the Clarion, and the food and services were good.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Arghh!!!
Within the past week I read an ad (in the paper???) with room and long term parking for under $100.....and I can't remember which hotel!

I think it may have been the Super 8. They do have cheap rooms, 24 hour shuttle and long term parking. Certainly nothing fancy but it fills the bill. I commented to my husband because it was cheaper than our last long-term parking bill at the airport.

I did look through my old newspapers but no luck. I'll keep my eyes open to see if they run the ad again.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM

I found the ad in today's paper. It is the Best Western on Howell Ave for $99 w/ 24 hour shuttle service.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM

We just stayed at the Clarion last week. Click on my name to see my thoughts... the lobby was the most disappointing part.

I was impressed with the rooms (that's what happens with low expectations!)... nice linens, fairly large.

24 hr. shuttle. cannot make reservations, but if you 'just' miss it, it will take 15-20 minutes for the next one - that's how long a round trip takes with stops. (In reality, I think it is actually less).
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I spoke with our corporate travel agent (I'm booking through them so the underage driver fee is waived) and it doesn't look like dropping off the car that night will save me anything, so I won't be needing the shuttle as long as parking is free.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Check out the AmeriSuites Milwaukee Airport. Not sure of their current rate but we stayed there (family of 4) three years ago for $99 a night. And it included a breakfast that was somewhat better than the usual chain hotel continental breakfast. The parking was free. And it's very close to the airport.

Enjoy the football game! My son is about to start his second year at UW. He had football tickets last year and loved the games. He was thrilled to learn he got them again this year. I think you're in for a good time!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- from everything I've heard, the game day experience in and around Camp Randall is pretty similar to what I'm used to at Penn State, in which case it's going to be a blast!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM

I agree-football games at UW are lots of fun. I was a student there in the 60s when they went 23 games without a win, but we still had fun.

Be sure to go to Union South before the game to see the band, and stay for the 5th quarter.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM

With a 7 a.m. flight, it might be easier in the morning to just take the shuttle to the airport rather than deal with returning the rental car too. I would check what time the rental agency opens since it is a Sun., and not everything is open so early on Sun. a.m. UW will be a fun experience on game day. If you are an ice cream fan, check the ice cream at the Union since it is made in their dairy and wonderful. Not so sure how ice cream and beer go together since beer is the very popular choice on game day! The traffic around the campus on game day is challenging and very slow so plan your schedule accordingly. Enjoy and have fun!