Search

Millennium Madness

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 11:46 AM
Tara Fowler

Millennium Madness

Six of us are coming over from the UK for the celebrations. We are in the states for three weeks and all we have so far are plane tickets for Washington DC landing 14/12/99, departing 2/1/00.
Any ideas for a mad millennium, where is the place to be (east coast)?!

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 04:51 PM
QueenMab

If you are truly suicidal, Times Sq. in NYC is "it." New Year's Eve in any "normal" year is a mad, crazy crush there, so that makes the turn of the mill. a million times bigger deal. Each city will have a Big Do -- expect Boston and WashDC to be notable, though. Or are you asking for some less central or less urban place that will, nonetheless, be "rockin'"? In that case, think about Key West.

Or are you asking for a specific party or some specific hotel? If so, you're probably already too late to get a reservation.

Since you are departing from DC (assuming the planes will actually be flying), I suspect you don't want to be too far from there anyway, so maybe DC is the place for you.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:42 PM
anna

Since so many Americans seem to want to be someplace they're not at the turn of the millenium, I would recommend making hotel reservations NOW, if you can get them. We reserved a room at a resort in Wisconsin Dells three months ago for New Year's Eve and the only reason we got one was that they had just put that block of rooms into the computer that day. They weren't even built yet at the time (they are now).
There ought to be a pretty awesome party on the Mall in DC. You will probably have to book at a hotel outside of town, but if you get one near a Metro Station, getting to and from the Mall won't be difficult. I would not recommend flying anywhere around that time. The East Coast seems to be notorious lately for folks getting snowed in at the airports around New Year's. You sure you don't wanna just go to the Millenium Dome in your own backyard?

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:23 PM
Anna

Thanks Anna,
We were either thinking about NY or DC to welcome in the new century, as we have to fly soon after the celebrations.
Do you have any idea where we can find out more information on the public events taking place for that time, i.e. fireworks or concernt etc. in the mall.
In your opinion if you had a choice between the two where would you go ?
Thanks once again for the info.
Tara.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 06:56 PM
anna

DC would be my own personal preference. More room to party on the Mall (I assume that's where the party will be) than in Times Square (I assume that's where THAT party will be) and the trip back to your hotel on the Metro will be MUCH safer than on the NY subway at night. Can't anyone who lives in DC help these Brits out with more details? C'mon guys!

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 12:02 PM
jimmy

Go to times Square it is probally safer and cleaner than D.C., as one of my good friends has just moved from ny to dc! Also if you need a room try this site(www.timessquareseek.com)they are giving away a free room in times square,this is where you want to be!