Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Military flight benefits... Question for retirees?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone out there have/use US Military flight benefits?
We have them but have never used them...
Carswell (Ft Worth NAS JRB), Barksdale and Sheppard have loads of flights but I am a bit of a chicken.
Anyone ever try it?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:29 AM

I am retired AF and have the "Space A" benefits you mention. I have used them a long time ago, but not recently. Do you have any specific questions?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Google "space-a" for a lot of links, or go to the closest BX's magazine section to find books/maps by Military Living. They have one publication solely devoted to Space-A.

I'm in the same boat...qualified, but not a user.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

I have the books and have a grasp of the process, but I really just have a desire to hear the real-life and recent experiences of people who have traveled using the benefit.
Is it a hassle? Is there a high chance of being stranded for days?
Vegas (Nellis) is obviously a high risk destination, but what about other places?
Is it hard to get a rental car once you are at the base?
Just basic questions based on very recent experience (within the last year).
Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM

TX--Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat Have the benefit, but haven't used it. I am afraid of getting stuck and having to purchase an expensive ticket to get home. Maybe when the kids are grown and gone and we are not on a schedule anymore, we might try it. But right now that chance is too much for us.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Dirk Pepperd runs a great Space-A travel information board. Go to http://www.pepperd.com/scgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi .
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM

My suggestion would be to get a Military Living <http://www.militaryliving.com/> book at your local military exchange or even online. They are very good references.

Also, check out the Air Force's Air Mobility Command web site <http://www.amc.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=380>.
Up in the gray, shaded portion, click where it says "Click here for general information about the Space A program." There is a downloadable MS Word document that has a wealth of info on Air Force flights.

My own Space A travel was a long time ago. I once arrived at Dover AFB passenger terminal and was on a flight to Spain 45 minutes later. On another occasion, My wife and I waited at Dover five days until we caught a hop to Europe. So, be prepared for long waits...but then you just might get lucky.

Is it worth it? Probably, if you have plenty of time, money to defray expenses of waiting and some way of getting to (and from) the domestic military bases where you depart and arrive. Oh yes, you also need a high tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty.

You will probably have more opportunities on USAF flights, particularly AMC flights, in my experience. Let us know how it works out.