Reload this Page >

Milford plaza - good choice or Bad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Ian

I am taking my wife and four children to New York for the 1st time in March 2001, for three days.
Have provisionally on the advice of others made provisional reservations at the Milford Plaza. I am getting conflicting reports on hotel can any one advise or suggest any other hotel.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Sam

Zagat's, one of my favorite ratings guides because it uses the ratings of a lot of individuals as opposed to one writer, lists the Milford as one of the worst in America.

My last experience there was 10 years ago so much may have changed since then. My room was filthy, small, and noisy. The front desk staff couldn't care less and actually told me "you get what you pay for." Truer words were never spoken!

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 02:40 PM
howard

In three words: Find another place!

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 02:49 PM
Ian

Sam, I have heard that the hotel has had a refurb in the last year. Does your guide book mention this ? Can you advise any other hotel in $150.00 to $200.00 price range.As i have to book two rooms.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 06:06 PM
Kristin

My husband and I recently stayed at the Best Western Woodward hotel. The rooms were very nice and we only paid $130. It is only a few blocks from time square. We had a great time! We also just booked a hotel using priceline. They gave us a room at the Marriott eastside for $130. I actually called the hotel to check rates and they told me the cheapest was $395!! Hope this helps!

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 05:12 AM
howard

Ian, for the price you're willing to spend, you can certainly do better!
Here are just two suggestions: Courtyard by Marriott on 40th St., between 6th & 7th Aves. (212-391-0088) The Mayfair on 49th St., between B'way & 8th Ave. (212-586-0300).

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:11 AM
ian

Howard,thanks for your info.
Have found that the hotel we are provisinally booked in is the Ramada Milford Plaza,not Milford plaza.
I did not relise that there are two Milford Plaza's. Would this change your opinion. Appreciate your help.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:15 AM
AC

Hi Ian:
If the address for the Milford Plaza is 270 West 45 St, run in the other direction! It used to be known as the "lulla--buy of all Broadway" now it just the "Bye-Bye". Good Luck!

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Dave

I stayed up in NYC for 2 weeks for work and stayed at the Milford Plaza the entire time. The rooms are small and cramped, however it did not really bother me, but it might with 4 kids. The location is wonderful for times square and the theatre district and the subway stop is about 1/2 block away. My room overlooked Times Square. I didn't have any problems with the front desk staff or anyone in the hotel for that matter. My opinon: Wonderful for the price, but not so hot for a family of 4.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:27 AM
Annie

Hi Ian,
I recommendation I see here alot is the Radio City apartments. This might better suit your needs. A couple of bedrooms, living room and kitchen.
www.radiocityapartments.com. Do a search here you'll find other opinions.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 11:24 AM
John

Ian, the Ramada Milford Plaza IS the one and only Milford Plaza. (one is enough...God forbid TWO Milford Plazas!) I think it used to be a Best Western at one time. Ramada's just the chain that got stuck with this dump at this date and time...it'll change again!

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 03:19 PM
howard

Ian, unfortunately John is correct. It is the same hotel! Look elsewhere!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 04:10 AM
Lily

Definitely look elsewhere. i stayed there 1 year ago. There were cockroaches, dirty linen, it was a nightmare. I also hooked up with lots of Broadway frequent visitors and they ALL (about 50 of them) had had terrible experiences there. Go to the Edison Hotel. Cheaper, same size rooms, but cleaner. Good luck.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:47 AM
Ess

I've never stayed at the Milford Plaza but have heard not-so-good things about it. I remember years back (in the 80's?)Milford Plaza had the corniest, world's worst TV commercial(I lived in the city at time), and I thought to myself that I would never stay in a place that had such jerky advertising.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:58 AM
Ian

Thanks for info. I think you have all convinced my family that the Milford is OUT!!!.
Any thoughts on The Best Weastern Manhatten located near Empire State and Macy's.
Ian

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 08:17 AM
Kathy

Ian: We have stayed at the Helmley Windsor many times and will stay there again. The rooms are quiet large for New York, it is always clean and they are quiet friendly. We also like the location. This is an older but well kept property. Hope this helps.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 08:59 PM
Janet

I was just in New York and stayed at the Best Western Manhatten. I think with kids it would not be my choice. I,m not saying its bad but it would be better to be in a place where you have choices fo restaurants. I,m sure someone on here can help you. I think it would be better to be around the theater district, time square and lots of restaurants, maybe Radio City.
I think if you loook back a few days you will see messages of another family coming to NY and where to stay.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 10:28 AM
Ian

Thanks for your help everyone the decision has been made!!!!
No to Milford and a reservation has been made at the SHERETON NEW YORK.
Finally GOOD or BAD at $202 a night.
Ian and family.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 05:32 PM
howard

Ian, that's a good rate for that hotel. You'll be at a very convenient location---close to Times Square and the theater district, Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, etc. The Sheraton New York is a major convention hotel (i.e., where people going to conventions stay, not the site of the actual conventions). It's safe. You made a wise move in switching hotels.