COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Tahiti or Maui

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Carlitta

Tahiti or Maui

We are considering vacationing in Tahiti or Maui next year for our Anniversary. Please help us decide which destination is nicer. Tahiti or Maui?? and why??

Thanks!!

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 01:03 PM
texasgirl

hi, without any idea of what you like to see//do or what your budget is or which part of tahiti you're considering, this is kind of hard to answer. Both have their beautiful spots.

But here goes; for me this is easy _ i'd pick Tahiti. Fewer tourists, seems more exotic (far fewer English speakers, much more French and Polynesian influence) and not nearly as much development. I especially liked Bora Bora and Raitea. (sp?)

I liked Hawaii fine, but did not feel as transported as I did when visiting Tahiti. Other people will probably disagree, but Maui seems like an endless strip of big resorts and golf courses, despite its great natural beauty.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:17 PM
MG

I prefer Tahiti ( Moorea and Bora Bora) which is how Hawaii was 75 years ago. Like the previous reply Tahiti is very expensive but is more remote and much more scenic. Avoid Papeete which is like Honolulu.
There is more to do in Hawaii but since it is your Honeymoon you may enjoy peace and quite of Tahiti ( Bora Bora #1 but the most expensice, Moorea is laid back and Raitea is very nice with Hotel rooms over the water like Bora Bora hotel but less. I can't recall the name. I think it was the Sofitel? But I am not sure..
Good Luck..

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Gail

No question for even a second! Hawaii is o.k., but Tahiti is incredible. the water, the privacy, the opportunity to have your own little piece of ocean right outside you room.Bora bora was our favorite. I hope to return again!!!

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 12:58 PM
janet

Have been to the main Hawaiian islands and Moorea. Would definitely choose Tahiti - it is absolute paradise.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 07:03 PM
jeff

i agree, there is no comparison whatsoever. Tahiti is the answer. the wife and i went to tahiti for our honeymoon - you couldn't find a more beautiful, romantic place anywhere in this universe. go to bora bora (we actually were supposed to stay in morea for four days too, but we got there, checked into our five star hotel - the nicest on the island - and it was DISGUSTING. so we complained to the manager, got our money back and had them fly us back to bora bora). there are two places to stay in bora bora that i recommend, one is hotel bora bora. thats famous. and very big. the other is the hotel we stayed at and for the life of me i can't remember the name. it has about half as many huts as hotel bb, so its very secluded. you need a hut as far out in the water as possible.
just the thought of it all is making me jealous. can i go with you?

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Mauilover

Maui in a second!!