Milburn Hotel-neighborhood/Location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have knowledge of the area around the Milburn? (242 W. 76th St.)
Is it a safe area, is it convenient to museums etc?
Ideally I'd like a bargain (Don't laugh please) hotel in the Upper East Side near the Guggenheim-----close to Madison Ave. All responses will be gratefully received.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 05:45 AM

I've never noticed the Milburn so can't comment on it specifically. That address is in the heart of the Upper West Side - one of the city's best residential neighborhoods and very safe. But remember that it is a mix of everything you'll find in New York - mostly middle class but also some very run down buildings on side streets and multi-million dollar co-ops on CPW. It's only a few blocks from the Museum of Natural History and just across the Park from the Met and the Guggenheim. There's a subway stop on 79/Broadway so heading downtown is also easy.

I'm aware of only a couple of hotels on the upper east side and they're all quite expensive. Madison Avenue in the 70's is the antithesis of a bargain - probably the most expensive area in the whole city. Have your tried Priceline for the Upper East Side?
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 05:57 AM
GoTravel

Doubtful you will find a bargain hotel in the most expensive neighborhood in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

The Stanhope comes up on priceline but for close to $200 per night.

The Surrey Hotel, across from the Carlyle, is a bargain for what it is but expensive.

If I think of something less expensive, I'll post.

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Rob

It is a small well maintained hotel in a good safe neighborhood. Walking distance to Natural History museum. 10 minute bus ride to the Metropolitan. Half mile north of Lincoln Center - an easy walk. Less than 10 minutes by subway to TImes Square, theater district. Literally dozens of restaurants within a 10 minute walk. Two of New Yorks most popular food stores a short walk away - Zabars on 80th Street, Fairway on 74th (both on Broadway - hotel is about 100 feet west of Broadway.) Very little mention of this hotel on this forum but any comments I have seen have been positive.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:37 PM

If you are willing to try Priceline some nice 3 star (The Melrose) or 4 (The Stanhope, Hotel Wales) hotels can be "won". If you haven't tried this before, check the websites betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com before you bid. Also if you are looking for "bargains" you might want to order a free NYC guide from the nycvisit.com website, there is a $1 off coupon for the Guggenheim in the booklet. Admission to this museum is $15 unless you are a Student or Senior, or you can go on "pay as you wish" night. Also on the upper east side is the Frick collection at 70th & 5th http://www.frick.org/html/info1f.htm admission includes an audio guide.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:46 AM

The Millburn is convenient to the museum of Natural History & would be a crosstown bus ride (through the park) to the upper east side for the Met, Guggenheim etc. It's certainly a safe neughborhood.

There are 2 more hotels on the UES besides the ones already mentioned.

Central Park Suite
59 East 73rd Street

Franklin Hotel
164 East 87th Street

I know nothing about the first. I think the Franklin is owned by the same people who own the Wales. I stopped into their lobby a number of years ago & it looked pretty basic-not a very attractive block but certainly safe & fine. The Wales is a nice European feeling place, but some of the rooms are TINY. The fact that the Wales is put in the same 4* category with the Stanhope on Priceline is somewhat of a joke IMO but it's as close as you can get to the Guggenheim. Another poster on this board found a B & B on 93rd st between 5th & Madison earlier in the year. It didn't sound great from his report after staying there but it was cheap (something like $115/night) and I think clean. The poster's name was Rickus if you want try a search for his comments. The website WAS
http://www.stay-the-night.com/accommodations.html

but I don't think it works any more. I found these numbers on the web if you want to pursue it
Telephone: 212-289-0123
Fax: 212-427-6123