Midwest Snowboarding

Search

Midwest Snowboarding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midwest Snowboarding

Any suggestions for good snowboarding in the the Midwest, within about a 6 hr drive from Chicago?
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:24 AM
jor

Check out ski areas in and north of Duluth Minnesota. There is also Ironwood just north of the Wisconcin boarder. Closer locations are just outside of Mpls/St. Paul. I have skied at all of these places. The ski area north of Duluth called Lutsen is the best in the entire midwest.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:31 AM

Granite Peak ski area is about five hours from Chicago in the middle of Wisconsin. Improvements have been dramatic over the past few years and there are now 72 lighted runs with full snow-making capability:

http://www.skigranitepeak.com/

See you there!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:14 AM
KMK

Maybe the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? Haven't been, but heard good things about Mt. Bohemia for experts only, or the Porcupine Mountains for family skiing.

To see maps of what ski areas might be close to you, go to www.skitown.com, click on 'ski areas in the u.s.', and click on the state you might be interested in. You will get a list of ski areas in that state, along with their locations pinpointed on the map. Click on likely resorts, you will get info on that specific resort, including trail maps and reviews.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:36 AM
JJ5

There are ski areas a lot closer to Chicago in Michigan. These are all not very big hills or runs, if you are used to those out West or in Canada. One that I think may have a snowboarding run is only 2-1/2 hours away near Mendon or just east of Mendon. There are several B&B's close to the area. One called The Sanctuary is supposed to be very good. Mendon Inn is terrific.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM

Boyne Mountain or Boyne Highlands in Boyne Falls, Michigan are both nice mountains (about 500 vertical feet). They are 25 minutes apart and your lift ticket is good at both locations (about 80 runs total). It would be about a 5-hour drive from Chicago. They have excellent Condos and good vacation packages. Boyne resorts win many awards for being among the best midwest resorts.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:48 AM
JJ5

It's called Swiss Valley. And it's very near to Three Rivers, not Mendon. But Mendon has the best B&B I've experienced. (I LOVE OLD.)

They list packages for snow boarding with several lodgings in the area-
Swiss Valley Ski Resort.

Up near Traverse City there are much longer runs but the drive time would be more than twice as long as that to Three Rivers area. Most of the Wisconsin side skiing is about 4 hours from Chicago or more.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM
JJ5

freeny is correct. Boyne is better.

Last year the snow was not good. It was mostly "made" snow. Some years it is terrific. Last year, our ski club actually had trips cancelled. All slush.
Also, it is COLD at some of these locations. Colorado skiing very rarely feels as cold, even during a heavy fall/snowstorm.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I will check them all out!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM
JJ5

Ski club organizer and treasurer, who is also my dear retired engineer, just told me two more- Michigan side: Timberridge and Bittersweet.