Reload this Page >

Napili Bay in Winter

Search

Napili Bay in Winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:42 AM
CCinBC

Napili Bay in Winter

My husband and I are spending 3 weeks at the Napili Shores in November/December. Less than 8 weeks to go! We chose Napili because it seemed to have the best combination of features we were looking for: quiet, not overdeveloped, lush and tropical setting and nice beach for swimming and snorkeling. We understood that the weather isn't as dry and sunny as other spots, but lately I've been reading that it's miserably windy, cloudy and rainy and the beach too rough through the winter months.

Just how bad is it? I don't mind some cloudy days with showers (that's what makes it so beautiful and green) but I'm hoping for some sunshine and good swimming days, too! Will we have to drive elsewhere to enjoy sun and beach? The weather sites I've found don't give specifics for Napili so I'm hoping all you Maui experts can give me some idea what to expect and maybe alleviate some of my concerns! Thanks!

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should have a great time irrespective of the weather in one locale. Maui and Napili are wonderful-squared.
You probably know that November is the beginning of the Hawaiian "winter." Rains and high waves come, especially windward. Napili is windward. We were there late last November and only fools (I was in that category) attempted to swim/snorkel the bay. I spoke to a surfer on the return plane ride who broke a board in those waves. Very impressive.
You likely also know that Napili beach is wall to wall condominiums, with one resort. There are no open spaces. But, it is extremely pretty (I think it and Kapalua are the prettiest developed areas), and, the weather and water could be tranquil during your visit. Just in case: stake out some other beaches to which you can repair if the weather does not cooperate. The island is not that large.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
MaureenB

We were at Napili Shores years ago in June, so I can't speak to the Nov/Dec weather, but we loved the location. The little cove there, I think it's called Hanakeana (sp?), was the perfect little protected cove for snorkeling at that time of year. It's like a private aquarium, there are so many fish. It's a bit tricky to get into, as it's a rocky shore, but well worth the trouble.
I'm wondering, Hmmm, are you saying not to go in the cove in the winter time to snorkel? Or by bay, do you mean the area further north that has the sandy beach?

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM

We spent a week at Napili on our honeymoon (it's been a few years ) in mid-late November. It was fabulous, with some of the best snorkeling we've ever had, anywhere. Over three weeks, I'm sure you will have good days and bad days and, as hmmmm says, use the bad days to explore other parts of the island.

I love Napili, by the way. I took a quick detour there on my most recent trip in March, and that's where I want to stay if/when I get back.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:25 PM
CCinBC

Thanks for the information everyone! Maybe we'll have to trade the snorkeling for boogie boards for those high surf days (but not TOO high - thanks for the words of caution, hmmm!).

It's great to hear about your positive feedback on Napili everyone, makes me think I made a good choice. I know Napili Bay is full of condos, I guess my idea of "not overdeveloped" is no mega-resorts or highrises.

I'd love to hear more about people's impressions on Napili, weather or otherwise. Just reading about it, I can almost pretend I'm there now!

Maui, here we come!

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Yes, no mega-resorts and highrises.

Here's a picture of Napili Bay from our trip in March:

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=IFARqp

Have fun!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:00 PM

I always speak highly of Napili/Kahana. It is every changing of sorts. The weather can be unpredictable, the area queit amongst the other small properties, yet have glorious days, clear days, wonderful snokeling, and not so windy days. It is a matter of the islands. Enjoy your surroundings and when mother nature turns, go find other areas of the island that suits your fancy. I find that the sudden full rain on a covered lanai while listening to IZ or Keali'i or the Crater Boys with mai tai in hand is priceless and worth the price of the trip to Maui. Don't worry about the weather. Don't worry about the weather in Napili. Go with the flow, and enjoy what you are given. It is truely a time to skip the analysis and find comfort. Believe you me I have tried to over research only to come back to my basic comforts. Good hawaiian music, short but heavy rains under the protection of a tin coverd lanai, fresh sashimi with soy/colemans, well worn rainbow slippas, the steady drone of the ceiling fan, and the realization that you are in a special place that you want to be. The moment may be short, it will be special, and it will never be forgotten.

Sorry guys
I got a little emotional
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
CCinBC

Just what I needed, anela! A gentle reminder to not get too caught up in statistics and over-analysis. Loved your description of how even a rain shower in Hawaii can be a beautiful and memorable experience.

Now I'm getting emotional!