Search

midwest getaway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 11:25 AM
annie

midwest getaway

Five snow bound women are trying to keep sanity by planning a presidents day getaway- away from the kids. some want excitement - i.e., chicago but others want relaxation - i.e. spa treatment, resorts. I know we are very limited by restricting to the midwest but some do not want to be too far away from the kids. (definitely not my problem). any suggestions.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 11:39 AM
kalya

Why don't you escape to Chicago AND spend a day getting spa treatments. You could get tickets to a play or musical (or a comedy show, like Second City, which are always lot of fun). Do a search for the word "Chicago" on this board and you will find lots of info on hotel recommendations, sights, things to do, etc. However, a getaway to a spa/resort in a more rural local might be cheaper, all around. I know there are some in Indiana, and probably not far from wherever you live. I would suggest doing a websearch, or checking out www.spafinder.com. Good luck!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 03:40 PM
David

I agree that Chicago is a great great getaway location. Not sure where you're coming from but New Orleans (not so mid-west but not that far by plane) is another fun spot.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 05:23 PM
Cindy

My friends and I are, coincidentally, planning the same type of getaway and are restricted to the Midwest for the same reasons. We are leaning towards staying at the Ritz-Carlton on Michigan Avenue and booking a day of pampering (massages, manicures, etc.) and then a day or two of shopping. However, if your group is looking for excitement, Chicago in the dead of winter is probably not your best bet. I live about one hour away and shop there frequently and must warn you that the town is very different in July than in January. The best you can hope for is to run from one store to the next without frostbite. The theatres can be fun but it's really miserable to have to cab it from one spot to the next. Hotels near the theatre district are quite a hoof from the Magnificent Mile and desirable shopping. We are also toying with the idea of trying out the new luxury spa at The American Club in Kohler, WI. It supposed to be top notch but quite pricey. I've tried Spafinder.com and think that it's a nice site, but not all spas are listed. Oh, well. I'm sure that you'll have a great time as long as the company your with is fun! Good Luck!

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 11:35 AM
SueB

I'd suggest staying at either the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton in Chicago. They both have spas and shopping malls attached (a plus in winter) The Four Seasons has a much nicer pool area.
It can be as busy or relaxing as you'd like. You will need to take cabs almost anywhere because it is a pain to drive - but cabs are part of the pampering!
The Chicago Art Institute, Aquarium and History Museum are close by and at night you can go to a Second City or House of Blues.
Did I mention the shopping? Dress warm if you want to walk down Michigan Avenue. A great place for a drink with a view is the 95th Floor of the Hancock Tower. If you don't want to drive, check out how much it is to take the train from where you live.

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Mark

Chicago would be a great choice no matter what your desires are. The city is filled with entertainment and many of the restaurants are world-renowned. Spa facilites are plentiful and the view of the skyline at night is second to none, not to mention the shopping!!!