Search

Midwest cities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:04 AM
Adam

Midwest cities

I will be going to Cinci, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland in early June to see some baseball games. I will be driving between the cities and will be spending 2 or 3 days in each one of the cities. Just wondering what else there is to do in each of these cities besides the baseball games??

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 05:15 AM
Leah

Adam,
Boy are you in for a treat with Chicago!! Our first trip to Chicago (10 years ago) was for my husband to see the Old Comiskey Park and then go to a Cubs game to see Harry!! We fell in love with the city and now try to go at least every other year (we have already bought our airline tickets to go back this summer). It is a wonderful City with lots, and lots of things to do. No matter what your interests there will be something to keep you busy. Museums, architecture, dining, shopping, sports, just walking around. etc. etc. etc. Can you be more specific as to what your interests are so that we can head you in the right direction? Leah

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 06:21 AM
John

Dear Adam:
I'd fly between the cities rather than drive. As someone raised on the West Coast (the most fascinating region in the world), I have found the region between the Appalachians the Rockies excruciatingly dreary.
But I agree that the cities are very interesting. They have to be or everyone in the Midwest would die from boredom.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 10:51 AM
peter

Adam,
I agree with Leah Chicago is wonderful. If you are at all interested in the architecture take the architectural boat trip which is a great way to see the city. Great views from the top of John Hancock (better than from the Sears Tower. Chill out on Oak Street Beach.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 06:25 PM
Jennifer

Every city is what you make of it! Even the Midwest cities you mentioned have lots to offer. I can give you expert advice on Cincinnati (where I am born and raised and currently residing) and Cleveland (just moved from)-so here it is:

Cleveland-First of all, if you don't already have tickets for Jacobs Field bring lots of $ for the scalpers-they sold out at Christmas for this summer...anyway, if you can swing it, stay at the Ritz Carlton, it is the best Cle. has to offer...the Wyndham and Renaissance are also nice...otherwise try for the Hampton Inn downtown.
Check out the Flats ( you may run into some of the players after the game) which is the main entertainment district (downtown) and the Warehouse District (also downtown)...There is shopping at Tower Place (adjacent to the Ritz Carlton)and at the Galleria downtown. You can also try the Rock Hall (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) and fyi-they are open late on WED. I believe.

NOW as for Cincinnati-The best hotels downtown are The Cincinnatian, The Omni Netherland, The Westin, and the Hyatt. Also check out Covington, Kentucky for a great view of Cincinnati (it's just across the river)...there are lots of affordable choices in Covington for accomadations...
In Cincinnati be ready to gain some weight! We have some great places to eat...try The Maisonette for 5-star dining...LaRosa's is great for pizza (cheap), Skyline Chili (get a cheese coney or a 3-way), also you must try Montgomery Inn Boathouse for bbq ribs!
Cincinnati has plenty to offer in the way of things to do although downtown is a mess right now (lots of construction). Email me and tell me what you are interested in and I can give you more detailed info...

HAVE fun!
Go REDS-new home of Ken Griffey Jr!

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:36 PM
becks

Cinci- montgomery Inn, ribs!!!!!
Columbus- If stopping to eat, many places, that's why we are so fat here! Spagio's in Grandview, great food and wine bar. Wine bar has State minimum beers right out of the coolers. Great variety, as Tom, the manager is huge beer fan. Very trendy. Also, tons of great restaurants, check columbus wed sites.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 05:47 PM
Toothfairy

I live close to St. Louis. There is alot to do there. Personally, I like to eat! If you like Italian food, there is no comparison to the restaurants on "The Hill". You can find anything from very casual to very dressy (and expensive). You'll have to ask directions. You should have no problem finding someone to help you. Most Midwesterners are friendly.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 09:29 PM
Cali

I live in California but I have to disagree with John. I would drive between the Midwest cities you mentioned. It is interesting to see other things and I think there are many wonderful things to see in the Midwest - both beautiful and interesting. The West Coast is nice too but there are nice things all over this country - don't miss checking them out on your trip.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:29 AM
kristi

Hi Adam. There's oodles of things to do in Chicago, especially in the summer. There's great museums (Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, etc), the Lincoln Park Zoo, lots of activity along the lakefront (biking, rollerblading, volleyball), Navy Pier where you can ride the giant ferris wheel, boat cruises on the Chicago River or Lake Michigan, shopping on Michigan Avenue and lots of great restaurants.

In between cities, you might be interested in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan near Detroit or Cedar Point amusement park, about an hour west of Cleveland in Sandusky, Ohio, my favorite amusement park, a great one if you like rollercoasters.