Midtown Sunday Brunch

Apr 28th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Midtown Sunday Brunch

My husband and I will be visiting NYC in May. Any recommendations for Sunday Brunch in Midtown that is reasonably priced? ($30 per person).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Apr 28th, 2003, 11:48 AM

One of our favorites is Rue 57 on the corner of 57th & 6th. Varied menu, moderate prices. Try for a sidewalk table if the weather is nice.

Other places we visit over and over are the Round Table Room at the Algonquin and Gaby's at the Sofitel.

At $30 were you looking for a buffet, though?
Apr 28th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Not sure of prices but Aquavit and the Cafe at Bryant Park are both real NY experiences.
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

It doesn't have to be a buffet. Is $30 too low for Sunday brunch?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Norma's in Le Parker Meridien. The hotel's located on 57th Street between Avenue of the Americas (6th Ave.) and 7th Ave.

menu:
http://www.leparkermeridien.com/nmenu.htm
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:57 PM

No, you can do very well for $30. But, you might also want to head down to the Village/SoHo for Sunday brunch. There are all sorts of wonderful places, most with tables set outside in the nice weather. One of our favorites is Bistro Les Amis at Spring & Thompson. This is a terrific neighborhood to wander about on a Sunday.
Apr 28th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Ah brunch. Isn't brunch a wonderful thing?
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:15 AM

We went to Cibo this weekend and had a wonderful brunch. It is on 1st & 41st. They have a fixed price deal with an appetizer and entree, along with bread & muffins, coffee/tea for about $16 per person, or you can order off the menu. The food was fabulous and the staff was great. They open at 11:30 for brunch on Sunday.
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:39 AM
GoTravel

Either The Cupping Room, Blue Ribbon Bakery, or Norma's.

Apr 29th, 2003, 07:42 AM

So, ChefToly, just to clarify on this midtown brunch question which gets asked a lot...the midtown area is 34-59th st. south to north-give or take a few blocks and theoretically goes from the East River to the Hudson River east to west BUT the Avenues closest to 5th (Lexington to Broadway) is mostly a business area. So the places that are open on the weekend for brunch tend to be more expensive and/or touristy and/or in hotels.

$30 should be plenty for brunch (depending on how many drinks you have). The best values and the places NYers tend to go are in more residential areas like the upper east or upper west sides, the Village, Chelsea,Soho OR midtown further east than Lexington or a bit further west.

All the places suggested are great. It really depends on whether you're looking for a NY "experience" or a neighborhood feel, basic brunch food or something a bit different etc.

Apr 29th, 2003, 08:10 AM

On Sunday we enjoyed a nice brunch at One CPS in the Plaza. No buffet unlike the typical Plaza brunch. Instead, you order off the menu, which includes a great selection ranging from steak/eggs, an amazing French toast the size of a small pound cake, scrumptious eggs benedict and some mean pancakes. Lunch items also available. Plus, they serve their great pyramid-shaped bread biscuits.
Apr 29th, 2003, 09:44 AM

My favorite Midtown brunch spot is Dock's Oyster Bar on 40th and 3rd. It's definitely in your price range. Fancy, but not too fancy. They have several seafood entrees (lox, omelets with fish in them, etc.) and plenty of other good stuff.
Apr 29th, 2003, 10:11 AM

ChefToly,
I agree with Doug - Norma's. They've elevated breakfast/brunch to a dining experience. Plus it's a stylish room. Make sure one of you get's the WahZaa Waffles. Awesome.
JoeG
Apr 29th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I just realized that our brunch experience will be on Mother's Day. We're only staying one night in a hotel (Midtown Marriott Courtyard) and then moving to an apartment on the UES. I suggested midtown as a brunch spot because of the proximity to our hotel, but I'm definitely open. Is it possible to make reservations for 2 on Mother's Day at this late notice?
Apr 29th, 2003, 01:04 PM

I think it depends on where. At Docks, I doubt there would be a problem, since it's more of a weekday lunch/dinner spot, being in a business-y are away from general tourist traffic. I have never had to make reservations to go on a weekend. I don't know about the other places. Norma's is pretty well known so it might be tough.
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Try the date and time on www.opentable.com and see what comes up.

Mother's Day may not only be tough to reserve, there goes your $30/person probabilities!

Search this Thread