Search

Midtown Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:29 AM
Allan

Midtown Restaurants

I am taking my wife to NYC for her birthday in September. I am looking for restaurants for her birthday dinner where I can pre-order a small birthday cake for dessert. My preference is for a restaurant within walking distance or short cab ride from the Waldorf-Astoria. Looking for moderate to expensive. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:45 AM
lisa

There are plenty of nice restaurants within walking distance of the Waldorf, but I happen to love Fresco by Scotto. It is on 52 between Madison and Park -- a stone's throw from the Waldorf. It is a nice (although somewhat noisy) atmosphere. They have delicious Italian food. And, the Scotto family (with Mrs. Scotto manning the door) will make you feel right at home. Call ahead and I'll bet they'd be glad to accommodate your birthday cake wish.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:22 AM
Marj

If you like wine with your dinner, the prix fix wine dinner at Cite (120 W. 51st St., bet. 6th & 7th Aves.) is excellent (food and wine). I'm sure they could provide a birthday treat as well.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:14 AM
Ted

BELLINI on E. 52nd between 2nd & 3rd Aves offers excellent Italian food in a perfect birthday atmosphere. The owner, Donatella Arpaia, is a wonderful young lady who is almost always on the premises. If you call for a reservation, I'm sure Donatella will take care of your birthday wishes.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:45 AM
Allan

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them all.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:42 PM
Howard

If you like Chinese food, Shun Lee Palace on nearby East 55th Street, is one of NY's best...excellent food and outstanding service.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:16 PM
Kid

Hi,
You could try Bobby Van's Steakhouse. Its' only a few blocks from the Waldorf (I think it is on 46th and Park). I have heard great things about that place.
Also, you could try the seafood restaurant "Tropica". It is located inside the MetLife building. Very nice.
Both of these places are within waling distance. Call them and see if they can't set up the birthday cake for you. I think it should be no problem. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Native

Sounds great; one of my favorite neighborhoods for dining out. depending on what you want to accomplish, the following are the restaurants that imho are the best in the area of the waldorf. Maloney & Porcelli, one of the best american steak and seafood houses in the city on 50th off Madison right next to the Palace hotel. Le Cirque in the Palace which is mostly just a knock your socks off memorable experience (jacket and tie). if you drink, please make sure you and your spouse stop in the lounge first because the architecture and interior design are so unique and when making reservations try to request the red room if interested in celebrity watching. word has it that cafe st. bart's, attached to St. Bart's Church, at 50th and park avenue is supposed to be a 9.9 rated outside brunch cafe. i thought i'd throw it out there, 'cause i'd like to try it myself. it seems everyone has posted delightful suggestions. good luck and happy anniversary.