Midtown NYC

Old Apr 26th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midtown NYC

Hello everyone

I have been to NYC a jillion times and have stayed in a variety of locations although almost entirely south of Central Park - extending from the Hilton, all the way to Battery Park.

So this isn't a newbie question but more of a "what are your experiences" question.

Contemplating a super offer from Arlo Hotels (where I have stayed a handful of times, so not even a newbie there either).

I've stayed in both of their locations before and this one came from NoMad - lower midtown, close to the Empire State Building. It has been ages since I've stayed north of Soho and midtown isn't my preferred location but having stayed there before (and a very good sale) why not.

What do you like to do in that neighborhood? I'm thinking especially breakfast and post dinner, because those are the times I'm most likely to be nearby. Plus I will be walking to and from it at various times.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 01:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
I love staying in Midtown. It's my #1 choice, but that's because I love Broadway weeks. I take advantage of having a free place to stay (friends' apartments) on opposite ends - UWS and Chelsea - but my favorite is still Midtown. I don't LOVE Times Square but I like staying anywhere between 6th and 8th (sometimes 9th) in the 50s (if I have my choice). My first visit was staying at a friend's apartment at World Wide Plaza, the location of the old Madison Square Garden. That was in the days before everything was Disneyfied and there were lots of peep shows still around and morning walks with the pup was among sketchy blocks. I helped move her up and set up the apartment while she started the new job. It was a challenge to help a country dog become a city dog. One morning she jumped up into a planter because she smelled dirt. (The dog, not the friend) The doormen had a fit.

On other trips, I stayed at the old LaQuinta in Koreatown and the rooftop bar had a view of the ESB. It became an Apple Core hotel. My niece's first apartment was on the opposite side of the LQ - although I didn't know it at the time. We met up at the Lush / Mrs. Fields area before going to dinner. I LIKED the very reasonable rates at the LQ at that time. I didn't love the low 30s. But that was quite a few years ago and things are constantly changing. I'm also weird because I love the west side of the TS AREA. It feels like "home" to me because I spent so much time there.

You are a walker and you like to get out and explore. Check the subway options if you want to get somewhere fast. Me, I take a lot of cabs because I like seeing the city go by.

If it's a great rate, great. But there are a lot of great rates being offered right now.

There was an Italian restaurant I always wanted to try in Murray Hill and never got there. Sam's Place. I have no idea if they made it through last year.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was in Herald Square a few weeks ago and was surprised at how scuzzy it's become since the pandemic. There were a lot of drunks and druggies generally unpleasant street life. It was better a few blocks west.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 05:33 PM

I’ll throw out the Affina Shelburne Murray Hill, Lexington & 37th, as an option, though no idea what current rates are. A short walk to Grand Central, Bryant Park, etc. The rooms at the back facing 3rd are extremely quiet, ours had a view of the Chrysler Building.

I’ve stayed at the Hilton on 6th, the Grand Hyatt and Westin on 42nd and the constant traffic noise was very noticeable. So I appreciated the relative quiet at the Shelburne as I’m a light sleeper. Sam’s Place mentioned by Starr’s is around the corner as is Sarge’s Deli (Open 24/7). We also enjoyed the nearby Park Avenue Tavern and Korean bbq in Koreatown. Enjoy your trip wherever you decide on, lucky you!
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 08:12 PM

"What do you like to do in that neighborhood? I'm thinking especially breakfast and post dinner, because those are the times I'm most likely to be nearby. Plus I will be walking to and from it at various times."

That was the main reason I didn't like staying in the area. If you liked Korean BBQ there were so many options just outside the doors of the (former) LQ. But there wasn't much of anything else I could find for dinner options. This was quite a few years ago and the one time I ate in the "neighborhood", service was slow and I felt rushed trying to get to a show. There were a lot more options around Bryant Park and north so I'd eat on the way or go to the West End Cafe. The former LQ is where the Hotel at Fifth Avenue is now. It's 2/10 of a mile from the Arlo. I wish I could say that I loved that location, but I didn't.

A friend just stayed at the Bryant Park hotel last weekend and loved it, especially the location.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 11:25 PM

Forgot to add Le Parisien Bistro on 33rd to my post. A few blocks from the Shelburne, smallish neighborhood place.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 07:32 AM

I loved the Park Terrace near Bryant Park in November 2019:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...sCPPePVrQ_F4mj

If this doesn't connect, click on my name and find my "Sargent and the Zoo" trip report.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi all

I went last weekend: Friday and Monday off so a nice long one. And lo and behold, I didn't read the fine print well enough and as it turned out I was one of the first guests in the Arlo's brand new Midtown location on 38th street near 9th Ave. My room was fresh and pristine and lovely and as mentioned, a fabulous deal. Big room/big bathroom/king size bed/huge picture windows in both rooms, 18th floor etc etc - really fantastic - and 500 ALL IN meaning including taxes, for three nights. (Promotion for inaugural weekend plus I am on their mailing list).

It was utter SHIT weather the entire time with only tiny pockets of mere drizzle (until Monday morning but then I was packing up to drive home after lunch). Cold and windy rain. I was very glad to be there and get away, but the weekend wasn't what I had been envisioning. As Starrs rightly pointed out, I am a walker. I would easily have walked to WTC down Broadway from 38th street, and back up again via West Village and the Highline. Ditto Central Park, as well as other parks. I had a long daydream list. But wrestling an umbrella and soaked sneakers was not optimal and while I did get in 15K steps each day, there was no before/after dinner strolling and watching the kids play in Washington Square Park fountain, for example. I brought my rain boots but since I got them a long time ago and I hardly wear them I realized they were a wee bit SNUG and so after one day in them I set them aside too.

Starrs, you made me remember that yes, I actually do like above 48-50 on the west side. I forgot about one of my visits when I saw John Fugelsang in a church (which was used a LOT as a stage for shows) and he was in that general 'hood. I wandered around and found a charming place to eat. It was very neighborhood-y near there. I am not a huge fan of the 30s, I'm not. I was excited about NoMad because it's not a bad jumping off point for Flatiron and south. But it wasn't NoMad, it was their new location. And as mentioned the weather was such utter crap I didn't wander remotely as much as I wanted. Sunday early evening I toyed with walking from my hotel to a really good restaurant around 50 and 8th but I was out a lot already and was DONE with the rain.

I did have a meal in Koreatown, I haven't had Korean food in ages and I was hankering.

Thank you everyone for the replies and other options.

EDIT: Starrs I looked up the theater I mentioned above from Sept 2019. It was on on 46th Street near 9th Ave. I liked the area, once you get past Times Square it starts to get leafy again. That evening I ate at Obao nearby.

Anyway, if I stay at the Arlo Midtown again, assuming no rain, I will be wandering in Hell's Kitchen more...

Last edited by flygirl; Jun 4th, 2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 03:27 PM

"500 ALL IN meaning including taxes, for three nights. "

That IS a deal!

You were there at the same time as my friend, and although I enjoyed his real time posting of photos, they were rain drenched the entire time. They pretty much had the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and Manhattan to themselves. The streets were almost empty.

"Starrs I looked up the theater I mentioned above from Sept 2019. It was on on 46th Street near 9th Ave. I liked the area, once you get past Times Square it starts to get leafy again."

Yes!

My favorite restaurant is the Belvedere because of that. From my room window, I could see a sliver of the neon from the Times Square lights bounce on the wall of the corner building, but it feels like a world apart. I like to walk less than a block to the beautiful and quiet Clinton Community Garden. That week I was training the country pup I'd walk west from WWP on our morning and afternoon walks. It's so close but a world away. They moved up to the UWS so the walks were to Riverside Park and/or Central Park, but quick morning walks were just around the block (including a short side on Broadway). I know some people HATE "Times Square" but the "Times Square AREA" is much larger and very different. A friend who could live pretty much anywhere in the city and the world chose to live in an apartment overlooking Studio 54. He's not a Broadway fan. I know, blow my mind. Living in the midst of the Time Square area and not going to shows! LOL

"My" restaurant is the West Bank Cafe at 9th and 42nd. It's also a favorite of friends who are local and I've met Fodorites there too. I go at least once on every visit. Great service, great drinks, very good food and you know you are going to get out in time for your show. I had Thanksgiving dinner there one year and the place was packed with locals and their families celebrating the holiday.

I'm glad you had your getaway and I'm sorry for the rain. I was trying to book the Belvedere a couple of nights ago for next spring and the pricing was wonky. I called and they were JUST getting ready to reopen and he said to wait to book that far out. They are getting all of their systems up and going. Can't wait to return. I'm playing around with the idea of flying up for a weekend for the reopening of Broadway. I miss NYC.