Midtown Manhattan Nightlife

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, looking for fun bars we'd feel safe walking to while visiting NYC, or, safe via subway connection(s). We're staying near Carnegie Hall on West 57TH St (women). We'd like to find a "down to earth" comfortable bar, pub, not touristy. (trendy is ok, we'd like to see trendy, just to see if we're way behind the times here in the midwest, or, if we're "hip" afterall!). We had a great time at an Irish pub in Boston, years ago, just can't seem to duplicate that experience. Any ideas? This site is always so helpful, looking forward to the responses, thanks for advice!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Well - I wouldn't take the subway home alone at 3 in the am. But you said we - so you should be fine going wherever you want whenever you want.

The trendiest places are VERY difficult to get into (you need to be young, beautiful and very expensivey dressed in the mode of THIS moment.) Also they don;t really start up until 11pm or so.

However, outside of those few perhaps dozen or so places you can get into any place as long as you're presentable and can pay.

The meatpacking district is trendy at the moment and there are several places you can go if you're willing to spring for the cost. And most of the trendiest places are downtown - midtown is mostly much more traditional.

If I were you I would consult New York Magazine and TimeOut New York on line - to get specifics on ambiance and prices.

You might want to try the rooftoop lounge (with pool) at the Hotel Gansevoort (they also have a bar in their modern Japanese restaurant) - or the MObar at the Mandarin Oriental. Just be prepared with dress that is stylish and drinks to be $15 and up.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

THANKS! We try to be stylish (at least for Midwest standards)& we think we're very young at heart (but, no, we're not in our 20's, or even 30's!) but, we do like to have fun! thanks for suggestions, we appreciate it. We're on vacation in NYC! we don't want to turn in by 10-11pm like we do here (cuz of 5 day work week!) thanks
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM

The bars at the Hudson Hotel are very popular, somewhat trendy and not far from you. The Carnegie Club might be nice one night. Flute, the first champagne bar is not far from you. Here's a link to a description plus some other ideas
http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/n...e-new-york.htm

hipguide.com might be fun for you to peruse. Check out what they say is "hip" as far as bars in NYC.

One place you MUST go is the Time Warner building on Columbus Circle. On the 4th floor, Stone Rose Lounge, young, trendy. On the 35th floor (Mandarin Oriental hotel) the lobby bar, outstanding views, elegant.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
GoTravel

I would say MObar at the Mandarin Oriental would be the hippest thing in Midtown and you might see a celeb or visiting artist or two.

Dress to impress and bring lots of $$$$. A glass of wine will set you back $20.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM

"Midtown" and "nightlife" rarely are in the same sentence. I would try some venues in the Meatpacking (maybe). Perhaps dinner at Pastis? Spice Market? Drinks at the Gansevoort sound good. I'm reluctant to suggest places on the Lower East Side since I don't think that would suit your taste. Gekko? Your thoughts?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:26 AM

For your comfortable bars and pubs, it is probably best to head a bit uptown to the UWS (where the bars will be more neighborhood-y than in midtown). Peter's on Columbus btwn 68th and 69th is often fun. Not trendy at all, but I don't really think "Irish pub" and "trendy" go together. Have fun!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

THANKS! Yeah, I guess I think "fun" for the Irish type pub, but, I'd hate to miss out on something trendy. (seems like when we've come back from NYC in the past, people ask us "did you to to" (fill in the blank of a hot trendy place), & our reply, along w/a blank stare is "no", "never heard of it", etc. So, we're going to be more adventurous this time! Just excited to be in NYC again (it's been 3 1/2 years, too long)
We'll have to check out Peter's on Columbus, between 68th & 69th, probably close to our hotel. Why is the "meatpacking" district trendy & popular? (when I hear "meatpacking" district, I think of the "slaughter yards" in South St. Paul, & that's where cattle are shipped to be slaughtered, nothing else). Thanks for all the advice!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM
GoTravel

The meatpacking district is where the sides of beef were cut up; that is why they call it that.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Here's what perfect for you: Mario Batali's "gastro pub," The Spotted Pig.

www.thespottedpig.com

Another suggestion -- the new Scottish bar Stout near Madison Square Garden (usually a horrible area for decent nightlife, like midtown, which is even more horrible).

www.stoutnyc.com

For a very cool, upscale/trendy spot, I suggest Brandy Library in Tribeca. If you feel like splurging, ask for a Lagavulin 12.

www.brandylibrary.com

Enjoy!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Forgot to say, Irish pubs are a dime a dozen in New York, particularly on the Upper East Side, 2nd Avenue in the 70's and 80's. I think you'll enjoy going downtown, however, so check out my sugges
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM

tions above.

Whatever you do, get out of midtown!

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

will do, we definitely need to explore more than midtown, we've covered a lot of that. thanks for the links to websites, we'll check it out
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Brandy Library on N. Moore is fantastic -- I had totally forgotten about that place!! Gekko -- you've given me a great idea for this evening.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM

It sounds like your group might enjoy Divine Bar. There are two locations, known for their wine list and tapas (definitely can be a dinner place). The feel is very relaxed and comfortable, with more of a lounge feel than a bar. Here's the website for more information:
http://divinebar.citysearch.com/

In midtown, a place I enjoy for "down to earth and comfortable" is Deacon Brodie's on 46th Street. It's just a small little place, but it's very comfortable and has a pub atmosphere. I don't think you would go out of your way to find it, but if you're in the neighborhood it's worth stopping for a drink.
http://www.murphguide.com/deaconbrodies.htm

Enjoy!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Neopolitan

Gekko, what's the deal with "Mario Batali's Spotted Pig". I know the place and didn't know he had anything to do with it. I checked their website and it never mentions his name. It lists two owners, and the chef/owner is not listed as ever even having worked at a Mario Batali place.
So what's the connection?

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Mario Batali is part owner only.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Anyway, I hear it is impossible to get into the place to eat. No reservations policy.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I spoke with Mario at The Spotted Pig a few weeks after it opened. He sees it as his chance to bring "good food" to a neighborhood pub (hence "gastro pub"). (Similarly, his restaurant Otto provides his desire to create delicious designer pizzas.)

The Spotted Pig does get crowded on weekends, but the waits have dramatically declined since its opening (also the addition of tables upstairs -- but I prefer downstairs, the booth in the back corner window). I've never waited more than 30 minutes for a table.

And, if you're there for a drink or two at the bar, there is no wait.

Bottom line: Supply & Demand.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Neopolitan

OK, I did a lot more googling and did find a reference to his being a "consultant" there, and another that said he is "reported to be a minor investor". I was really thrown by this "Mario Batali's Spotted Pig" thing.

Otto is another matter. It's HIS restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -