midsize car or convertible on maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I are going to Maui in early October. We picked a midsize car in our package, I'm wondering if we should change it to a convertible. Anyone have any advice? We are planning on taking the road to Hana, Mt. Haleakala, & maybe Iao Park. We are on a budget. Is it worth it to spend the extra money on a convertible, or save it and put the money toward something else we want to see or do?
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Loungin

Without a doubt get the convertible. It's definitely worth the extra money, especially if you're doing the Road to Hana. Nothing obstructs your view in a convertible and you can see everything all the time. Have fun, Hawaii is awesome.

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Make sure to factor in the cost of extra tubes of sunblock if you get the convertible. The sun is quite powerful in Maui, and you'll be spending quite a bit of time in it when you're not in the car.

Given the extra cost, I'd opt against getting the convertible.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:18 PM

We went to Maui a couple of years ago and ended up letting the Alamo counter person upsell us to a convertible for an additional $10/day. She said we wouldn't regret it, and we didn't. If it's a big difference in rate to make the change now, you may want to consider asking when you get there.

Ditto on the sunblock suggestion...we got sunburned at 9 am after only about 45 minutes with the top down. Wowza!

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Convertible! Convertible!! Convertible!!!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 04:20 AM

We have a choice between a convertible and a jeep on Maui....ideally we would like the convertible but I'm worried that all of our luggage won't fit. We are going to wait and see when we get there. Just something to think about...

have fun!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 05:55 AM

I, too, debated the "4WD vs. convertible" query. Here is the quote from Maui Revealed:
"On Kauai an d the Big Island, we strongly recommend a 4SD but it isn't as important on Maui. There arren't many off-road opportunities, and there are few places where access will require one. The drive past Hana doesn't require one, despite what you may read elsewhere. A few places in remote parts of West Maui will allow 4WD's to get slightly clsoer, and the road to Blue Pool makes it kind of nice, but its hard to justify the increased price here. Skip the 4SD. If you want to splurge, spring for a convertible instead. They can be fun, especially on the Hana drive."
We are going in July WITH our golf clubs so opted against the convertible for lack of storage space. We opted for the 4WD so we could have the option of A/C for "stuck in traffic" heat (we have a Saab convertible at home, we know how hot it can get. Also, a 4WD will "lock up" better so you can leave things in your car while it's parked.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:06 AM

sorry the "4SD" is supposed to read "4WD" throughout the text.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:09 AM

We, too, were upgraded for a minimal cost at the rental car counter upon check-in. A convertible is a great thing to have on Maui as the weather is usually fine (although can't promise that in Hana), and the views are spectacular. Also, relatively speaking, it's cheap to get a convertible in Hawaii vs. the mainland.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:35 PM

I agree, get the convertible. Just keep in mind you will want one when you get home.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:36 PM
mlc

We rented a convertible on our visit to Maui in February and loved every minute of it. It seemed like we were able to smell the tropical flowers better, see more of the mountains, etc. We drove it to Hana and beyond all the way around the island without any difficulty at all. As for your luggage - don't overpack! All you need is a few shirts, shorts, swimming suits and a light weight pair of pants and/or sundress. There were four of us, and we got all of our luggage into the trunk by each of us only taking a carry on. Worked great. HAve fun and enjoy!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:17 AM

sieben:

I'd say go for more room and safety from being burnt to a crisp by the sun, not to mention if you like your hair looking presentable, not in knots/twisted, nor with bugs through it, I'd opt for the mid-size or Jeep. I had an ex-bf long ago who had a Corvette convertable and I absolutely hated it, no room and my hair in knots/twisted.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:58 AM

Absolutely a convertible...and sunblock!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Luggage is an issue. We had to put the top down because my suitcase was too large. I overpacked for this casual island, so learn from my mistake and enjoy the CONVERTIBLE and the lovely drives.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 08:15 PM

I realize no one knows which model convert I'll be given...but.....I"m traveling alone....will have a 26 inch and a small roll on.....will this fit in the trunk??? Guess I need to go out and find converts and ask their owner if I can see inside the trunk. Im renting from Dollar if thats any help!!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:57 AM

We had a jeep on Maui and had a blast. Just wear a hat while you're driving. If it's a huge discount, it certainly is not necessary. We went to Kauai this year and just rented a mid-sized car and we were fine. But it was a difference of $150 and we have been there before. So, if you have the extra money - it's worth it and fun!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:08 PM

I thought that I had planned a wonderful surprise for my husband and booked a convertible on Maui last week. There were 4 of us. We pulled out of the Natinal parking lot, rolled back the roof and drove smack into a rainstorm. Up goes the roof. Half mile later, sunshine-down goes the roof. Wind is blowing through my hair, kids are screaming that the gum I gave them on landing 2 hours ago is now caught in their hair. Traffic comes to halt(4pm). One hour later we're closer to the hotel and I peek in the mirror at my two kids. Both children are red as lobsters from 2 hours in the Maui sun with top down.. And so the saga began. I love a convertible but they hold very minimal luggage and you can fry with the top down. Think it through carefully if you're packing much or can't take the sun. If I had just been with my husband ,a convertible probably would have been great! Susan

Als- My kids are 6 and 7 and they could not see a thing at all from the convertible depite the top being up or down. The seats are very low in the back.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Great story threehearts! In Nov we rented a convertible on Maui and kids 8 & 12 loved it. Thought we should get one at home. Made them put on sunscreen while waiting for the car at the airport. Since DH & I had been to Kauai the prior year with a convertible, we knew about the limited trunk space so kids & DH had soft sided bags and I had the small roll on. They all fit fine.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:54 PM

What's a "DH"??
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Dear Husband, Damn Husband, etc.