Mid range DC hotel for 1-2 nights summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All, I have not been to DC in a long time, and I am considering going to see a performance in Kennedy Center. I know summer can be expensive. I think I will want to go to the performance, and perhaps also see the National Gallery and walk around a little, so probably stay 2-3 days What I am seeing are hotel prices starting in the mid $300's. Do you have any suggestions? I know I can find street parking, but I am inclined to just reserve a $22 parking spot when I buy my Kennedy Center ticket .I still haven't chosen matinee or evening, weekend or weekday, but I plan to buy an orchestra seat. I probably need to act soon. I don't want any place grubby, but something more modest than Four Seasons. I am open on area, unless opting more for a central location will let me walk around easily. Any recommended restaurants, or spots near Kennedy Center appreciated.
I know this is a bit vague, but if you have any suggestions on hotel, and area I could use some direction. I've been researching and don't feel any closer to zeroing in on good choices.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 12:58 PM

My choice in DC is the Woodley Park Guest House. While it is located outside of all the action, it is just 500 feet from a Metro stop that will take you anywhere you want to go. They do have limited onsite parking. The Guest House is located in a neighborhood with great restaurants. I usually spend the day site seeing and then come back to the calm and quiet of a neighborhood.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 01:55 PM

Rates for a DC hotel can vary widely, depending on special events, time of the week, and, notably, the congressional calendar. Play around a bit with your dates to see which days work best for you. And don’t forget the taxes and extra fees! And parking charges!

We have liked the Penn Quarter for its proximity to the mall (National Gallery of Art end of things) and the selection of area restaurants. The Grand Hyatt has adjacent covered self-parking. I believe it’s a municipal facility, not a hotel add-on. A Metro station is right there. The Madison is a Hilton property we liked. Be sure to use whatever affinity program you have—AAA, senior or AARP—as you research.

Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 04:01 PM

Consider the Smithsonian’s Portrait Gallery and Museum of American Art, also in Penn Quarter. I’d recommend the Jose Andres restaurants Jaleo (tapas, etc.) and Zaytinya (Greek, Mediterranean).

I would double check on this—
https://living-in-washingtondc.com/closestmetro-kennedycenter.php>>Foggy Bottom-GWU Station is the closest station to the Kennedy Center. From the station, it is a 10-to-15 minute walk. However, you do not have to walk. Instead, take the Kennedy Center Shuttle. As you exit the station, turn left to find the bus stop for the shuttle.

The Kennedy Center Shuttle is a free and easy way to connect passengers from the Metro station to and from the Kennedy Center. The Kennedy Center Shuttle is lift-equipped and wheelchair accessible. The shuttle connects passengers from the Foggy Bottom-GWU Station to and from the Kennedy Center. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes on:

Monday-Friday: 9:45 a.m.- Midnight
Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- Midnight
Sunday: Noon - Midnight
Holidays: 4:00 p.m.- Midnight
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The River Inn. A few blocks walk to the Kennedy Center ..and a couple of blocks walk to Foggy Bottom Metro. Quite a few restaurants within a short walk, too.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 06:47 AM

I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis but don't know what post-covid rates will be. The 2019 DC gtg mentions other hotels as well as sites. I think the price of a cab would be less than parking at the Kennedy Center. Birdie stayed at the Hotel Monaco and I was there over 2021 Thanksgiving. Monaco is a block from metro and an easy walk to the Gallery.

Mini Trip to D.C. - GTG Icing on the Cake

Enjoy!
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually stay at one of the Crystal City Marriotts - right on top of a metro station. I have paid a weekend senior rate in the past, no idea what the rack rate is these days. No need for a car - I arrive by train and use the metro to get around.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 07:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've stayed at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center a few times. I was fine. https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies
. I will be looking and arranging this evening. I will have a car, as I'll be driving from Maryland. I hop parking won't be too expensive.

Love the idea of tapas. I will be on my own, so that will depend.
​​​​​
I'll report bavknonnthe hotels once I've looked.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You also might want to check the State Plaza Hotel. Good-sized rooms, easy walk to Kennedy Center and Foggy Bottom, and their website usually has a "parking included package" that is only about $20 more than the regular room rate.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 03:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ninasdream
Thank you for the replies
. I will be looking and arranging this evening. I will have a car, as I'll be driving from Maryland. I hop parking won't be too expensive.

Love the idea of tapas. I will be on my own, so that will depend.
​​​​​
I'll report bavknonnthe hotels once I've looked.
I've never spent a night IN Washington DC but like the Extended Stay in Columbia MD. From there I go to the Green Belt Metro station (end of the Green line) and go into the city from there.
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 01:33 PM

I"m curious as to what hotels you are seeing at $300 in summer for a mid-level hotel. Summer isn't high period, it's like most major cities that are not just resorts, summer rates are generally lower than during the regular part of the year as there aren't as many business travelers, August especially. But performing arts generally is very slow in August so it really depends when you want to go and what you want to see. Rates may be high for fourth of July of course, due to the fireworks here, but they shouldn't be unusually high past that. Also rates are sometimes cheaper on weekends like a lot of major cities as there aren't as many business travelers then, either, but that may not hold in summer.

I see Hyatt Place West End at only a little over $200 a night in mid-June, for example, but only $170 in mid-July and August. That wouldn't be too bad a location actually. River Inn isn't a bad idea and it's also only about $200 in mid-June. I think they give free parking if you stay 3 nights, also. It's their staycation package, check it out.

There aren't really many restaurants near the Watergate at all. There used to be at least one I liked but it closed. It isn't really that easy to get street parking at all as you think, it is very difficult in the central area. Around KC, I sometimes park on the street but generally you can only get a place maybe 3 blocks away or so (along Virginia Ave). Paying their rate makes it easy, of course. If you get there an hour or more before major evening performance time maybe within the first block or so, but then you just have nothing to do for an hour or more. If weather is ok and it's a matinee, I usually do that.

I think you have to first narrow down more what show you want to go to as that may drive dates and prices. I see Jersey Boys and To Kill a Mockingbird towards ends of June, both of which I like (also ballet in early June and various concerts). The Band's Visit is in mid-JUly which is very good, also. I saw the original on Broadway with Tony Shaloub, although they say they have an Israeli actor. Major touring productions are usually pretty good in my experience. Richard Thomas (John-Boy Walton) is doing Atticus Finch, he is a good actor. Hamilton starts in early August and otherwise, don't think much is going on in August, as usual. If you want a concert, lots to choose from in June into July.

Other than hotels towards KC, it's hard to say since there are good hotels anywhere. But with a car, I probably wouldn't stay around Dupont Circle, too crazy. Parking is generally very expensive in central DC but you can get better deals if you use some parking app/website. Some good restaurants in Penn Qtr area, that's not a bad choice.
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 04:34 PM

Any decision, ninasdream?