Search

Mid October Trip?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid October Trip?

We are planning a trip to Florida in Mid October. We have been to the Orlando area and Clearwater Beach a few years back. We have about a week. Our thoughts are to A: Fly to Miami and drive to Key west and back, or B: Fly to Miami for a day or two, then drive to Naples and up the Gulf Coast, fly out of Orlando. Recommendations? Is the gulf coast more damaged?
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM

How much driving do you want to do and how much relazing? I would probably fly into Miami, get as far as Islamorado and be happy to relax, eat well, perhaps snorkel.

More info re your interests would probably be helpful.

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 02:42 PM

What is the purpose of your trip? Miami and Key West in one week is a good schedule. But if you plan to spend time in Miami, Naples, and Orlando, and deduct one day for driving, and one day for flying, then you might be stretched thin.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are going with another couple - it's meant to be relaxing. However, neither of us mind driving a little. We enjoy relaxing in the sun, swimming and snokeling during the day, but having some activities at night. The nice thing about the gulf trip is we wouldn't have to backtrack as our arrangements do not allow us to fly out of Key West, but we could fly out of Orlando. Also, we've heard mixed reviews of the Keys, but we are concerned about damage to the gulf areas...thus our indecision. Thanks much for your input.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I don't know what kind of mixed reviews you've read but my family spends alot of time in Islamorada in the Fl. Keys and it's a terrific location. Snorkeling,sunning,great places to eat and a little night life. if you hit it right a full moon party happens at Morada Bay and its a blast. There are also great places to stay-Cheeca Lodge, The Mooring, Hampton Inn. It just depends on the type of accomodations you're looking for. The restaurants are great also. Lazy Days, Islamorada Fish Co., Pierres, Morada Bay to name a few. The ride from MIA is about 1 1/2 hours and actually quite a beautiful drive.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:58 AM

I am revitalizing this topic.

Going to the Keys the last week in October...landing in Fort Lauderdale and driving down...on Day One I am trying to decide if we want to go all the way to Key West, stay there for a few days and then head back up to Key Largo and stay there for the remaining days (6 night trip in all). If we land about 11:00 am on a Friday, how long, if we take our time, should it take us to get to Key West...or should we think about one night in the mid keys on arrival day...any and all suggestions are welcome. We are thinking about staying at the Southermost Point on the Beach in Key West and have Marriot points for Key Largo...

NannyJan
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:47 AM

re: last week in October
do you realize you will be there during Fantasy Fest?
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM
GoTravel

Hope you have your hotel and air reservations.

The Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show is October 27-31st and Fantasy Fest is October 20-29th.

Expect hotels to be expensive and sold out from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West. Call and confirm your car rental many times.

The good news is that it will be a good time to wear body paint and buy a boat

Old May 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM

All the ressies are made...just got in on the cheaper side of the rates..Oct 21 and 22...but am not thrilled to hear it is Fantasty Fest...guess we will make the best of it...we may, in fact, change our ressies to mid Key location and just visit Key West during the day....Thanks for the updates...NannyJan
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:16 PM

if you are going to be in Key West the 21st to the 23rd you will be fine. Fantasy Fest dosn't get busy/crazy until Tuesday/Wednesday thru Saturday.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:33 AM

I am thinking of going to Miami in the last week of October. I live in London and have never heard of Fantasy Fest - could someone please elaborate (although my imagination is in overdrive at the moment...)
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Fantasy Fest is Key West's version of Mardi Gras - most people would say it is better (espically the weather). Always held at the end of October with the final big night/parade on the last Saturday of October (get an extra hour as Daylight Savings Time ends). do a search - lots of sights devoted to it and they have an official site you can check out.