1st Time Visit to Florida/Miami/Everglades - Need Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out we will be flying from CA to Miami in a couple of weeks for a convention in Miami. So I know we will be spending a couple of nights in Miami somewhere,that shouldn't be a problem.

My main concern is with a few days to spare after the convention, I think we should head to the Everglades - we're nature nuts. I'm panicking in this time frame, but where should we stay in this area? Is Key West near and if so, from another post I saw here, it sounds like a kick-back place - we love to throw on our thongs and shorts and paint the town, meet the locals, stay in a cottage/cabin - preferably on the beach...Please tell me there's an area in Florida like this. We prefer places that have no "Anywhere USA" looks - you know, no fast food joints mukking up the scenery, but don't want to end up in 'dullsville' either! I saw something on the 'Monkey Jungle' - is that a must see?

We (my husband & I)will rent a car from Miami. I guess I have the 'Earnest Hemingway' Florida in mind...is it there? TIA -
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:29 PM

Key West is a 3-4 hour drive from Miami and the Everglades, and is not known for it's beaches. There are a few beaches in Key West, but nothing spectacular by any standard, in fact Miami has the advantage in that dept. If you want the laid back feel without the chain places, Key West will definitely suit your needs. Do a search on this board on Key West for ideas. I've only been to Key West once, but been to Miami a few times if you need more help.......
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:41 AM

We recently did a quick Everglades tour--you'll find it quite delightful.

We landed in Miami, got the car, and drove west on 41 (the Tamiami Trail) for about 35 miles. You'll see a number of signs for airboat rides. We didn't take any, because of time constraints. About 35 miles out, you'll come to the Shark Valley entrance to the Everglades. That's on your left. Directly on your right is a restaurant (and airboat ride) run by the Miccosukee Indians. Good short-order food--had an excellent fish sandwich. Admired the birds and a couple of alligators there.

After lunch, went into the Everglades. Took the tram ride, which is a guided 2-hour tour through the area. They make stops for interesting 'gators, birds and whatever.... Highly recommended. You can also rent bikes and do it yourself.

That was our half-day taste of the Everglades before returning to the Miami area. Gave us a nibble--we'll see more another time, I'm sure.

You're right to be concerned about time constraints. The Keys are another ball-game. Key West is the only town you can "paint," and it's at the far end--about 160 miles from Miami.

With limited time, I'd suggest going down around Marathon (halfway,) and maybe staying at Hawk's Cay and day-tripping. I'm sure you understand your basic contradiction in that you want the lazy, laid-back Keys and to do it in two or three days. We generally take four days to go from Key Largo to Key West--100 miles--and have found that's the way to do it. There's a lot of tacky stuff there. But there's some neat and nifty corners that are worth a look....

Everglades, and Sombrero Beach at Marathon, pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall . Other Keys pictures at http://photos.yahoo.com/scullyyank . There's loads of Keys stuff on the web. Perhaps the best single site is http://fla-keys.com/ . You'll love the Keys--try to scrounge more time.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you missjana and bookhall! One of favorite hobby's is reading and my fav exchange 'daughter' was named Jana!

missjana: We have to stay in Miami, I am assuming near the Miami Convention Center for the Prudential Convention...can you recommend a nice hotel on the beach, with all the ammenities? Not 5-Star, though.

Bookhall: I only had time to visit the first link you gave me today...those pictures are fantastic! We travel a lot each year and you have inspired me to do the same with my photos from these United States and from Brazil. (I have used Kodak's online photos and Yahoos online photos to post family pics - is that the same as where you have your trip pics?) Will check out the other links you gave me tomorrow. Thanks so much! And a big thanks for the great time-line ideas while in the Everglades...now to convince my DH! Shouldn't be too hard...
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:09 AM

If you want to include the Keys in your Florida adventure, I would suggest you enter the Everglades near the Florida City entrance (which is on the way to the Keys from Miami). I'll top another post on the logistics of a quick stop-off (adds 2-3 hours to your trip to the Keys). We did this stop last weekend on our way back from the Keys and saw lots of 'gators, endangered wordstorks, nesting anhinguas, and more. We also had a wonderful strawberry and key lime milkshake from the Robert is Here fruit stand.
If you want a more intense Everglades adventure, enter the park at Florida City and head all the way to Flamingo. It's about an hour's drive from the Park entrance. There's a motel down there. You can rent canoes and/or go out on a fishing charter. At night, it's neat to drive a few miles away from Flamingo and look up at the stars. There's very little light pollution so you can see a lot! From Flamingo, you are about 3 hours from Islamorada in the Keys and about 4 1/2 from Key West.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much keysmom - you have given me a clue to timelines here! And those milkshakes sound to die for! tee-hee...Am I correct in assuming that if we want to experience the nature of the Everglades, we should plan on spending a night there - after our drive from Miami?

Then head out to Key West for a few days?

Since I was a kid, I always remember nature shows showing the airboats...don't they scare off the critters?? Or are the critters just used to them by now? The idea of canoes is lovely, but if we don't have the time (we still haven't decided just how long we can take, looking at 3-4 days now, but I am 'working' on a few more days) should we do the airboats? I am leaning towards more time spent at Key West...what do you think?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:15 AM
GoTravel

Hotels very close (walking distance) to Miami Beach Convention Center

Tides (lux)
Raleigh (mod-high end)
South Seas (mod)
Delano (lux)
Ritz-Carlton (lux)
Ritz Plaza (iffy place, mixed reviews)
Royal Palm Crown Plaza (mod-high end)
Shore Club (lux)
Doubletree Surfcomber (mod)
Tides (lux)
Loews (high end-lux)

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Brasil nut: The pictures on Yahoo are, I'm sure, the same kind of albums with which you're familiar. I've been using webshots for several years now. You get space for 240 pix free, or you can pay for an upgrade and get more (but not unlimited) space. I bought the upgrade a year or so ago. I've been quite comfortable with it. However, I suspect my next step will be a cheap web site of my own...

An excellent (and constantly updated) comparison of web photo album sites is at http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/albums.html . Worth bookmarking. Whoever handles the site deserves a major vote of thanks from its users--it's a great information resource.

You're right. You really should do Key West properly. And on your way to the Keys, go via Card Sound Road. Going south, after you leave Florida City, you'll see a sign pointing to the left. Follow the road--it's quite lengthy. When you see the toll bridge in front of you, directly on the right is Alabama Jack's. It's a great gateway to the Keys. And it's probably about as close to the "old" Keys as you're going to find...
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Bookhall and GoTravel: Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge - it is very much appreciated! Love the tips and any more that may come my way...can't wait to get there...all the descriptions sound wonderful

Bookhall: Will post pics when we return in mid March - thanks for those tips as well.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:07 AM

The good news is that you don't need to spend the night in the Everglades to get a nice taste of it (or the milkshakes!). Make it a part of your drive to the Keys by entering at Florida City, stopping at the park's visitor center and then going to the Anhingua Trail at the Royal Palm Visitor Center (the first stop after the main visitor center).
Also, for an "off the beaten path" experience, stop at Robbies Marina (Mile Marker 77 Bayside) on your way to or from Key West and feed the wild tarpon.
I'm not a fan of airboats. They are amazingly loud and you will see perhaps one or two gators and no birds. The Anhigua Trail give you a much better appreciation of the diversity of the Everglades.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Keysmom: Thank you! I feel better now about how we can be able to experience the Everglades and the Keys. This site is fantastic for info! Now, all we have left to do is purchase air and reserve hotel in Miami

I started looking at cabins last night for the Key West area...there are way too many! My husband is saying why don't we just wing it...I tend to agree as it is overwhelming and will add to our discovery experience when we get there...I hope! Is it a must to reserve in advance in early March, the 2-3 week?
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM
GoTravel

Brasil Nut, second third week of March is peak season for Key West. Reserve in advance.

A reasonable nice place to stay in Key West is the Southmost Motel. Newish, Key West/Hemmingway/Tropical feel. The company also owns Dewey House and La Mer. It is on Duval Street but it is a little bit of a walk to the action at the other end of Duval.