Search

Michigan but sunny

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michigan but sunny

I feel very fortunate to find and join this site.
I have been reading and researching for the last 10 years for places to live.

I have lived in Howell, Brighton, Michigan for 36 years, and I loved it, with the exception of winters and very few sunny days.
Then I have moved to Oregon and lived there for 2 years. I lived in the east south and west, Central parts and near Portland. Most desirable was Wilsonville and the surrounding areas, which is 30 minutes south of Portland.
Now I live in Palm Beach, Florida. I have realized that Florida is not my thing. Don't get me wrong, the entire area from Miami all the way to st. Augustine is beautiful and worth visiting. However I do miss cooler weather and four seasons.

If Howell/ Brighton area in Michigan had more than 200 days of sunshine and less severe Winters I would go back in a heartbeat.
So, I'm looking for a similar place with more sunshine and less severe winters.
Here's why I loved it so much:
Three downtown areas with local restaurants and unique shops, only 15 minutes from each other. Nearby lakes and Parks. Only 20 minutes too big box stores and 40 minutes from all sorts of farms, and apple orchards which we enjoyed during fall season for apple picking. Did I mention that the small towns 100% walkable? Also local farmers market filled with organic fruit and vegetables, dairy products, and eggs.
Lastly I was very green from May through November.

I have experience the same thing in Wilsonville Oregon, however the real state is astronomical, and there is more rainy days that I care for (I suffer from SAD syndrom).

Washington State and Seattle offered similar settings, with the exception of the constant rain.

Colorado was beautiful, Colorado Spring I enjoyed the most. However, the dry climate made my nose bleed. I also missed the orchard vegetation such as in Michigan.

Austin and San Antonio is very walkable, but only two seasons. No collar changes in the fall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 07:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
This is a travel site, not a relocation one. I'd strongly recommend you look at the boards at City-Data - https://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums - where these kinds of questions are at the core of their mission.

Good luck!
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 07:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are quite a few towns/places in California that tick every one of your boxes . . . EXCEPT affordable housing. So probably not an option. Gardyoo's link is a good resource, but you might also get some helpful suggestions here
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 07:48 AM

Asheville, NC. Greenville SC. Winston-Salem NC Pinehurst, Southern Pines, NC Hendersonville, NC Shelby, NC Whytheville, VA
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 09:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I moved from PA to Oregon 14.5 years ago. The High Desert of Oregon (including Bend) has over 300 days of sunshine on average. We live about 50 miles south of Bend but often go to the city for shopping and medical visits. The population of Bend is growing rapidly. They are currently building a new High School . I expect the new census number to be close to 100K for 2020 if not over. The 2010 census was 81K.
The towns around Bend have some cheaper housing than what is being built in Bend.
I understand your SAD when living on the "wet" side of Oregon in Willsonville.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will research that area.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Greenville and Shelby look great.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, California would be ideal, except the home prices.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I apologize.
To compensate for my ignorance I can highly recommend a great place in Oregon. It is called McMenamins. It is a family-owned chain of brewpubs, breweries, music venues, historic hotels, and theater pubs in Oregon and Washington. Many of their locations are in rehabilitated historic properties; at least nine are on the National Register of Historic Places. It's worth visiting. Food is feminine and many locations have hot tubs with massages and unique accommodations.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 12:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Seattle offered similar settings, with the exception of the constant rain.

I live here. There is not "constant rain" in Seattle. Have you ever been here? I mean I'm not saying you should move here, but that impression of our weather is incorrect.

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 01:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beatasims8
I apologize.
To compensate for my ignorance I can highly recommend a great place in Oregon. It is called McMenamins. It is a family-owned chain of brewpubs, breweries, music venues, historic hotels, and theater pubs in Oregon and Washington. Many of their locations are in rehabilitated historic properties; at least nine are on the National Register of Historic Places. It's worth visiting. Food is feminine and many locations have hot tubs with massages and unique accommodations.
There is a nice McMenamins property in Bend (Old St. Francis School). I never stayed there but have gone to a movie there.
The bus service from Bend up to the Mt. Bachelor ski slopes is up and running for the winter. In addition to downhill skiing, they have X-Country, snowshoeing, tubing and snowboarding.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:48 AM

Have you been to Royal Oak or Berkley? I know that we are not that far from Howell but we don't seem to get the sever snow that some of the more outlying areas get.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Similar to Bend in terms of sunnier days, you might look at the other side of the mountains in WA state. Places like Ellensburg, Tri Cities or even Spokane if you want a larger city.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 09:20 AM

What is your housing budget?