Miami - MiMo Miami’s Modern Architectural District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 days on either end of a cruise in January, 2011. Looking at New Yorker Boutique Hotel in the MiMo district. Is anyone familiar with this neighborhood. Or with this hotel? It sounds fun with restaurants, etc. nearby but you never know what an area is like when you've never been there before. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM

A neighborhood that is coming back, but not sure if it is there yet.

There is a great restaurant there that we have enjoyed a couple of times, but staying in the area. not so sure.

http://michysmiami.com/
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM

hmmm.... This is a tough one. We've owned a house in Belle Mead, the residential heart of the neighborhood for 12 years now and I have since moved back a few years ago to experience the rebirth of Miami's Upper East Side. We literally live under the glow of the infamous Miami "Coppertone Girl" sign which was moved here a couple years ago.
Long blighted and populated with prostitutes, the Upper East Side has become much safer (but still not safe enough for some ), more walkable; and the cute 1930's and 40's era neighborhoods that make up the area are experiencing an influx of young couples and families. I really love living here, and I really believe in its future. While I would encourage more people to come to MiMo to visit, I would have to agree that it isn't exactly a destination to stay in just yet. It is still very much an emerging neighborhood and the amenities aren't in place to host overnight visitors. There are some shops and a few good non chain restaurants. Chef Michelle Bernstein's "Michy's" is wonderful! However, entertainment options are still limited. We're even experiencing a minor slowdown in redevelopment with this recession, but we're optimistic it's only temporary. I would compare MiMo to South Beach in the 80's. I lived there then, and the vibe is very similar.

I have to hand it to the BRAVE pioneering folks at the New Yorker Motel. I know it isn't easy to be the "oasis" in this neighborhood. They are providing the germ for the future. I hope the area catches up to them soon. I sincerely hope they succeed.

Staying here right now might only be for the most adventurous. A hotel in South Beach, Downtown/Brickell, or Coral Gables would be your best options, with diversions to the Design District/Midtown and Upper East Side Miami.

Here are some links to points of interest:
MiMo-http://mimoboulevard.org/media%20coverage.htm
Design District-http://miamidesigndistrict.net/
Wynwood Arts District- http://www.artcircuits.com/c_ww.html
Gallery nights in Wynwood are the 2nd Saturday night 7-10PM each month-http://www.miaminewtimes.com/slideshow/october-2010-wynwood-art-walk-31545502/
55th Street Station- shops and restaurants - http://www.the55thstreetstation.com/
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:11 AM

We had some friends stay at the New Yorker a few months ago when they came in from out of town and they loved it. But they are the type who seek out the undiscovered secrets wherever they travel, so we knew it would be right up their alley. They couldn't stop talking about how great the owners are. We visited them and we were pretty impressed by the rooms. Never would have expected something so nice in that area. Yes there is a slightly shady convenience store next door where some strange characters hang out but aside from that they felt (and we felt) completely safe in the area. There are literally at least one or two good restaurants on every block. There are some benefits of staying here as opposed to South Beach or Brickell. For one thing the price... is about half what you would pay at a decent place in another area, not to mention parking is free compared to the $20 or $30 per day in other areas. But mostly I would say it is still a real authentic place where the locals hang out, and hasn't been overrun by tourists (yet!). It isn't for everyone... if you have small children or generally don't feel safe in a major city then you probably want to stay somewhere else. But if you want something more authentic and not as touristy, and to save some cash then it's probably your best bet.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:04 AM

Hmmm..this area has no rhyme or reason to it. Yes, its an "up and coming" area and the city is really trying hard to make it "tourist friendly", but you still come across some seedy areas. They do have fabulous restaurants though and a lot of hidden gems. I agree with the earlier poster- Michy's is definitly worth eating at. Best meal ive had in a long time. But yet, it sits in an area that on some nights feels safe, but on others you might come across some shady characters. Just be careful and try not to walk around so much- better yet, drive around. If safety is more of a concern for you- just stick to the touristy sites like South Beach..or stay in the Gables, Aventura, Brickell Area. Much safer there...
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. We like to be a bit off the beaten track - away from the touristy areas and we aren't easily intimidated by "seedy characters" so are still considering this neighborhood but we may end up in South Beach just because it sounds like it might be a better location for seeing what we want to see. Again, thanks for your responses.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM

cslater - I'd be interested to hear about it if you do go ahead and stay at the New Yorker. Ive drive up and down that area of Biscayne at least once a week and I have never noticed the hotel.
If you do end up there -
One of our favorite brunch spots is UVA69 just up the street.
http://www.uva-69.com/
We take our kids and its always been charming and relaxed.