COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Miami/ Key Largo... what to do?

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Miami/ Key Largo... what to do?

I amtraveling to Miami at the end of the month and have never spent much time there.

As twenty somethings we are staying in South Miami and want to make a trip down to Key Largo, any suggestions of interesting places and things to do.

Diving vs. snorling?
Night life in South Beach?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:24 PM

snorkeling at John Pennecamp park i hear it's suppose to be awesome! I missed it when i was there. Have a super time!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:18 AM

I'm leaving for Miami tomorrow. Where to go and how many things to do depends on how long your visit is. There is plenty of nightlife on South Beach, as well as in Coconut Grove.

As for Key Largo, I'm not too sure, but I heard about John Pennekamp park as well, and it's supposed to be good for diving and snorkeling.

A good reference to check is StreetMiami.com for ideas and things ro do.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:26 AM

Do a search. Miami and the Keys have been discussed ad infinitum.

Great diving to be had in the Keys. You are certified to dive, right? If not, snorkeling is also great. Just look for the (ubiquitous) Diver Down flag outside the dive shops that line the drive down to the Keys, and hop on a boat. They'll take you to the nicest diving/snorkeling the U S has to offer.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

We will be down there for four days and five nights...

I am not certified. Can I take a class while I am there?

Thanks for everyones help!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:58 PM
rasnes5

Check out the PADI website or Horizon Divers website for info on classes. Horizon Divers in Key Largo offers A 'resort' type certification that costs about $150 and can be used for MINIMAL diving, I think they are about a 1/2 day in length-open water dive certification classes will cost you $200-$450, as I recall. JackOneill is correct as the best snorkeling/diving in the continental US are the reefs and wrecks of the FL Keys. You might be quite happy with a couple of snorkel trips-to get your feet wet (so to speak)on the sport. Check out the web sites and have fun!
R5