High Winds in Maui in Sept ???

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Winds in Maui in Sept ???

I am going to Maui in mid september. But one thing everyone never seems to talk about is where is it windy ?
I know it rains a little bit everyday in most areas and it is drier in the southern part..Wailea etc.
But I cannot stand a beach which is windy and where the waves are choppy.
Where in Maui is there very little wind and great snorkleing combination ?
That is where I want to book a hotel or condo ..thx in advance...
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 02:17 PM

I found Kaanapali windy. It all depends on what storm or direction the winds are coming. They switch.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:05 AM

In the Wailea area, the mornings are usually pretty calm. The winds start picking up in late morning. So hit the beach early.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM

I've found that Wailea/Kihei (south Maui) seem to be consistently windy in the afternoon.This is also the drier/sunnier side of the island. So if you stay there, plan your beach/snorkeling activities for the morning. I have also stayed in Kaanapali, I did not find wind to be a problem and there is good snorkeling in the area but you do run the risk of the occasional dose of liquid sunshine.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:30 PM

Winds pick up in the afternoon most everywhere which is great if you're staying in a non-a/c condo ! I think the really windy area is, not too surprisingly, between the mountains i.e. around Maalea and "far north" Kihei.
In short pick a good snorkeling area and make sure you go in the morning hours. I hope to follow you in early November !
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Sly

Don't worry about the wind. If one beach is windy, drive a few miles and there will be sure to be one that isn't. You will find trade winds blow most afternoons, so plan your snorkeling accordingly. If you go on a snorkel boat, they will find a protected area. You can stop into any Maui Dive Shop (they are everywhere) and pick up a Dive/Snorkel Map. It will give you descriptions of sites, difficulty levels and driving directions. Ahihi, LaPerouse and Kapalua are a few of my dive/snorkel favorite sites.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:40 PM
gyppielou

like I said lighten up Francis...perhaps that is a phrase that you do not know...it is a phrase meant in jest...regardless,you have been fretting about the wind for a long time, staying in the negative perhaps, rather than preparing for a wonderful life adventure... you will have a wonderful time if you allow yourself to............

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Francis line is from the movie Stripes if memory serves me correct. Don't worry about wind in Maui. We were there Sept 2000 and all of my memories are great ones. I can't even remember if it was windy at all so that must be good. I do remember the trade winds in the evening. One of the highlights of my wife and I trip was sitting in the shade when the sun was going down, reading a book while the trade winds were blowing to cool us off. It was a bit hot in September. Enjoy
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:01 PM

a couple of good snorkeling sites are Kamaole Three in Kihei and Honolua Bay beyone Kapalua. Mornings are always much more calm.