Hawaii / Maui in February

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii / Maui in February

We would like to spend a week on Maui in early February. We never been to Maui, and I have a few questions:

1. Is it true that it is very stormy over there in Feb., and hard to find an ocean beach for swimming ? Any suggestions for snorkelling ?

2. We would like to rent an apartment or a hotel room with cooking amenities; location does not matter as we'll rent a car, but it should be clean (and cheap ). Any recommendations ?

3. About 8 yrs ago I used SunTrips for out-of-this-world Hawaian bargains, but now their website is always down. Are they still in business ?

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:21 AM

You won't go wrong if you stay at the Lahiana Beach Resort. The beach is great. I'm sure there is plenty of snorkeling around. There's a whale watching tour that leaves from Lahiana for about $20. You could call about efficiencies. If Suntrips is still in business, I don't hear much about them. albertraley.blogspot.com
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM

The sunniest, driest weather is in the Wailea Resort area. and that is were the calmest water will be for snorkeling. Kapalua/Kaanapali/Lahaina are on the northwest coast--cooler, wetter, windier, rougher water in the winter. There are many accommodations in Kihei and Wailea.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM

At that time of year I would stay in Kihei, Wailea or Makena. We were on Maui last February and had spectacular weather. We stayed in a vactaion rental in Makena. Temps were in the low 80's during the day and around 70 or so at night.

I would look for something in south Kihei. As xkenx mentions there are plenty of places in Kihei. Condos in Wailea are a bit more expensive, but I'd look into that as well.

An interesting looking place that I had bookmarked is:

http://www.pineappleinnmaui.com/

The beaches in Wailea/Makena are very nice and most offer great swimming and snorkeling opportunities.

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM

It does not rain much in the West Maui resort/hotel areas (Lahaina/Kaanapali) or South Maui (Kihei/Wailea)
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind answers. Actuallly, I was looking to rent something like a studio with a kitchenet, and drive to the beach if needed, rather than living in a beach resort. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Sounds like it is time to start googling!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Look at Lahaina Shores (it is a modest condo hotel but not a resort).

We got poured on one year in February on Maui, but just for a couple days (unfortunately one of those was the evening we were all at the Old Lahaina Luau - they pass out ponchos).
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I looked into this one although haven't stayed there: http://www.hawaiibednbreakfast.com/kihei_lodging.html
We did enjoy our stay at the following though it would be rainy up in Haiku in Feb. (great in August!): http://gaiagardensinn.com/default.htm
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Try the Maui Seaside. The junior suite has a kitchen. This is more like a motel than a big resort. Clean, old fashioned, reasonable rates. Located near the Kaahumanu Mall.

http://www.seasidehotelshawaii.com/HotelMaui.aspx
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM

Go to VRBO.com They have tons of condo (studio) rentals in Kihei and Wailea. You can get a nice studio in Wailea (walk to beach) for around $100/night
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:15 AM

My sister and her husband stay at Village by the Sea (Kauhale Makai)in Kihei but I don't know the specific unit. They like it as it is convenient and it is inexpensive, since they stay for 6 weeks at a time, usually in the winter too (surfing)
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 06:20 AM

My wife and I got a terrific deal through Expedia on a studio condo at ResortQuest at Papakea. It is a smaller complex only four stories high but in a great location north of Lahaina. Our condo had a washer/dryer, kitchenette and a nice lanai where we could watch the sun set. They do have 1-3 bedroom condos available but we did not look at any of them. This complex is nice because most of the units seem to be owner occupied so it is a little more laid back with no rowdy groups or wild parties. Good luck!