Search

Miami ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 12:21 PM
chris

Miami ideas

Thanks to those who responded to my "Miami or Naples?" post. The winner is Miami Beach. We'll be going in early July. So, what I'd like to get your opinion as to the following (OK, I know I'll get a flood of those "do a search" type responses, but I want to get opinions from people who have actually been to Miami Beach, and done the following):

We'd like to spend 3 or 4 nights at a nice hotel. Someplace that won't be vibrating at 4am from the thump of the disco next door, but which is in the middle of South Beach's action. A good gym or gym privileges would be a plus. A good pool is a must. Good decor is a must. I'm blowing my tax refund on this trip, so cost is not a great concern (a minor concern, but willing to splurge). I'm considering Loew's Miami Beach or possibly the Delano. Any ideas? Any others you've tried and would recommend?

Next, we'd like to play golf one day. If anyone know some good courses which are open to tourists (or should we just use the hotel concierge?), ideas are appreciated.

Third, a good spa. Massages, mud baths, seaweed wraps, salt rubs, etc. Something we've never done, but we'd like to indulge and pamper ourselves.

Fourth, beaches. Which beach is the best regular beach for people watching? We are extremely open minded, so topless or primarily gay is fine, as long as it will allow us to enjoy the parade of life going by. Are there any which are more family oriented? (We're leaving the kids at home, so we want to avoid families. I don't want to be rude, but we want an adult vacation.) Also, I've always wanted to try a nude beach and saw that Haulover Beach is Miami's unofficial "naturist" spot. Ever been? Is it policed? I will probaby not go there, but would consider it if others had favorable things to say.

I can manage restaurants and club ideas, but if you've got a favorite, pass it along. We're pretty normal people, meaning that I am more linen pants and nice shirt than leather pants and no shirt. My wife doesn't own a single Versace item and is leaving the club-kid outfit at home.

One final thing - car rental? Necessary? I'm thinking it is if we want to go play golf or explore.

Thanks in advance - I promise a trip report in return!!!

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:59 PM
Jayelle

I stayed at the Loews and can recommend it as meeting the requirements that you mentioned. Nice pool area, access to the beach right behind the hotel, and a nice spa. Its not one of the trendy places so you won't have any trouble with a big party crowd. Seems a bit more family oriented. Rooms with an ocean view and small balcony are nice.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:31 PM
Statia

Yes, as far as a car in Miami, it's kind of hard to get around without one. At least in my experience. I always rent one when I'm there.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:23 AM
topper

ttt

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:22 PM
fortopper

What the heck does "ttt" MEAN????

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:11 PM
Patricia

I live in Miami so I speak from experience. Both the Loew's and Delano are great hotels but if you're looking for cool decor and pool it's the Delano, hand's down.

Can't speak to the nude beach because that's not my thing but as far as restaurants go...try Astor Hotel, Red Square, China Grill.

Delano also has a great spa as does the Mandarin Hotel (on Brickell Key) which is about 1/2 hour drive from S. Beach.

For golf dry the Doral Country Club. For a club Pearl is amazing (on S. Beach).

So, I guess in answer to your question about a rental car...definitely! There are not golf courses on Miami Beach.

Have a great time!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:14 PM
topping

ttt = to the top

ergo: to the top of the postings.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:13 AM
chris

Patricia and others: thanks for the input (I was wondering if I was going to get any responses as I've searched for MB ideas and it seems the questions go largely unanswered). I am seriously considering the Delano. (We're not uber-chic, and we don't really care whether or not we meet the super high physical standards of the Delano crowd - we can hold our own, but we're not going to SoBe to be ogled. We just want luxury in the middle of the action.)

We've had a minor change in plans. We've ditched the idea of playing golf, and we're now going to do 2-3 nights in SoBe, 2 nights at a B&B in Key West.

The spa sounds cool, but would prefer one a little closer. Also, I will add your restaurant suggestions to the list. As far as beaches go, I will probably avoid Haulover, but would appreciate input on the normal beaches (which street has better ones, or is there much difference?).

Thanks again,
Chris

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:05 PM
Patricia

Hi Chris:

Ugh, the only problem w/S. Beach is the beach...the water down here is amazing but the sand is a little nasty. Delano actually has a private beach for it's customers. I would either stick with that or go to Key Biscayne. There's a private beach there but you miss a little of the amenities of a bar, restaurant, etc. It's relatively quiet. If you want a nice public beach go north...Hollywood or Ft. Lauderdale have nice public beaches. Also, as an FYI, Key West is built on coral so don't expect good beaches there although The Pier House has a tiny piece of beach and a nice pool. They also have a nice spa you might want to check out. Good decision on the Delano, you'll love it! They also have a great restaurant you might want to check out...The Blue Door. Amazing food. Have a great time!!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:22 AM
chris

Well, I booked my trip today! Woohoo!

2 nights at the Artist House in Key West (recommended by a co-worker) and 2 nights at the Delano. Now all I need to do is develop the perfect bod before I hit SoBe!

Thanks to all for your help,
chris

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:29 AM
chris

OK, I forgot to mention my car question. I rented a car for entire length of my trip, but am now questioning whether or not I'll need it while in Miami Beach. I really don't think we'll be doing anything other than sitting on the beach or by the pool and walking around Lincoln Rd. and Ocean Dr. Driving into Miami proper or up to Bal Harbor is not on my itinerary. So, should I just return the car after Key West, or should I keep it (and pay for parking for 3 days in Miami Beach)?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:57 PM
Patricia

Hi Chris:

Congrats on booking the trip. On the car issue, I don't think you'll need one if you plan on staying at the beach...you can get where you need to via taxi if necessary. And its only about $25 to or from the airport.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 10:34 AM
chris

OK, so I've decided to deep six the rental car while in Miami, allowing me to upgrade to a convertible for the trip from Miami to Key West and back. Wahoooooooo!!!!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Mickey

I can't find out where I read it, but I think the main beach action is between 12th and 7th. There is usually some topless but fairly subdued environment.