Search

Miami help - Fast

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miami help - Fast

My husband and I have just discovered that as a result of a cancelled AA flight we will have one night in Miami in early June. Neither one of us have visited Miami and don't have alot of time to research the city.

We are on our way to Curacao and aren't looking to go all out in Miami. How far is S. Beach from the airport? What other areas should we consider where we could find a reasonably priced hotel, great food opportunities with someplace to chill out and share a bottle of wine?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:50 PM

You can't visit Miami without hitting South Beach - about 20 minutes from the Airport. Try a hotel on the beach if possible. A good choice is The Lowes, depending on your budget.While on south beach there are a ton of restaurants and great sites. Don't miss lincoln road mall. Also, try Coconut Grove just south of Downtown and visit Viscaya - a beautiful old estate on the water. Have fun.
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Aaron had great ideas. You have to visit south beach, if you can afford it the Lowes is my favorite hotel there on south beach. In Miami Beach, The Sheraton Bal Harbor has an amazing pool area with tropical grounds, right on the beach also. Very relaxing. A bar on South Beach i recommend is Nikki Beach. Very romantic and on the beach. Visit Lincoln Road with all the shops and restaurants.
WIth only one night, i'm not sure I would recommend visiting Viscaya as it is a little out of the way, but it is beautiful.
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. The Lowes is completely booked the night we are going to be in Miami.

Any other suggestions????
Old May 24th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Bo

I would try (the higher star rated hotels with) Priceline or Hotwire since you're just there for a nite and not looking to go "all out".

See www.BetterBidding.com for what hotels others have received and how much to bid.

A cab from MIA to SouthBeach will cost about $25 plus tip (it's a fixed rate, but i forget the exact amount).
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Again, depending on your budget, if you want to go the South Beach route try the Delano, the Tides or a new art deco hotel called the Sagamore. Also, check out The Hotel (that's its name). All these are very nice (but possibly pricey) options. The Sheraton Bal Harbour is on the north end of Miami Beach. Too far from the action in my opinion and farther from the airport.
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

How long does it take to get from the S. end of S. Beach up to 195 and over to the airport during morning rush hour?

What's the worst case scenario?
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Just be sensible and stay by the airport.
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:22 AM

if you want to stay in south beach, there is a nice marriott there.
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:08 PM

Sassy, you won't have to worry too much about rush hour traffic. In the morning, the heavy traffic runs South on I-95. You'll be heading North, then West. Give yourself 45 min., but I doubt it'll take that long. Also, I agree with the priceline suggestion. I've heard of people getting the Royal Crowne Plaza in S. Beach for $50/night. Just ask for the highest rating (4-star resort or something like that) and set a price within your budget.
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Bo, thanks for the introduction for betterbidding.com. We are staying at the Marriott for $82 which I thought was pretty good considering the rate was $176 on Expedia.

I checked out the description of Nikki Beach on Fodors and it sounds great - close to the Marriott!!!

My last request is for a place to dine within the $$ range. Nemo sounds like a good option. Any others????

BTW - the "just be sensible" post was my husband. He only thinks he wants to stay by the airport....he'll be happy that after a night out in South Beach we only have to walk to our hotel room
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Bo

Glad i was able to help!

If you haven't done so, you should follow up with your post at BetterBidding (i saw it when i was there earlier) just to let them know how it worked out. I'm sure your post will help others in the future.

Unfortunately i don't have any dinner recommendations, so i'll leave that up to somebody else who is more knowlegable in that area.

Have fun in South Beach!!
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:43 AM

you are going to have so much fun! the marriott is great and you are right, it is so close to Nikki Beach. A restaurant I recommend is on Lincoln Road, it is called Next Cafe. Huge portions and all kinds of food at reasonable prices and the best
Asian Chicken Salad I have ever had. You will notice this place because it is always packed especially outside tables, much more packed than any other place on Lincoln Road because it is the best!!
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:55 AM

I have personally stayed at the Delano, Tides and Lowe's. They may be a bit more money than you want to spend for just one night.

I have also stayed at the Doubletree Surfcomber. A clean hotel which isn't too fancy. It also has a nice pool area.

A dining recommendation from me is Nexxt, Balan's and Pacific Time on Lincoln Road Mall. Al fresco dining as long as the weather is good. People watching galore.

Old May 27th, 2003, 06:20 AM

oh yeah i spelled it wrong. Nexxt cafe
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Some other dining choices:

-- Larios on the Beach: Good Cuban food, great mojitos, loud room with live entertainment. The owners are Gloria and Emilio Estefan.

-- Puerto Sagua: Best Cuban food in South Beach, in an atmosphere-free diner. This is the real thing, served by actual Cubans. Try the ropa vieja con moros, followed by a nice strong cup of Cuban coffee.

-- Wish: The foodies' darling of the moment. I haven't eaten there yet, but it's on my list for my next visit. It's in The Hotel.

-- A Fish Called Avalon: In the Avalon Majestic Hotel. Excellent seafood. One of the best choices on Ocean.

-- News Café: A South Beach institution. Plant yourself at an outside table, start sipping ice coffees, and watch the unfolding freak show as it walks past. Sister property of Nexxt Café, so the food is comparable.

There are some good places on Washington, including a very yummy Thai place whose name escapes me. It's next to a record store (dance music and water pipes), if that helps. Have fun!
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:23 AM

I can recommend "Nemo". Was in South Beach in November 2002 and had a very nice evening there. Sat outside in the courtyard.

Also had a very good Italian meal on Washington at "Osteria de Teatro" (sp.). Family run, busy, right on the corner of Washington and ?? but really, really good food.

Had lunch at The Delano. Had a tasty Cobb salad. You have to see the lobby entrance if nothing else. In my humble opinion, "weird" ... flapping bed sheets hanging from the ceiling.
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Another quick thought: Nexxt and News Cafés are always crowded and busy, but these are most assuredly NOT the best restaurants in South Beach. Their claim to fame is Great Big Portions of Pretty Good Food Served Outside. They're reliable and great for people-watching, but if you're looking for a great culinary experience, there are far better choices.

If you're looking for really good breakfasts on Ocean, the Front Porch Café (in the Penguin Hotel) is probably the very best.

And how could we all forget Tantra? Extremely expensive, but if you can splurge, it's aphrodisiac-based cuisine served in an incense-laden room with a floor of real grass. Very cool.
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:35 AM

hi,
i have been to Tantra, and i personally did not think the food was as good as Nexxt Cafe. Tantra is overpriced and snobby and IMHO is not a "great" culinary experience.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Tantra, but it is a "different" dining experience. I think B.E.D. is just as pretentious, but it seems to do well. The Delano eateries are vastly overrated.

On Lincoln, there are some great Italian places-- my favorite was next to a smoke shop where I could run and get cigarettes while I waited for my food (of course, I've quit smoking since). As I recall, the wine list was pretty darn good too.