Miami/Ft Lauderdale

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 11:12 AM
huggiebear

Miami/Ft Lauderdale

I'm going to Miami/Ft Lauderdale in March for the first time. What are some things to see and do? Besides the beach, I enjoy shopping, live plays, boat rides, dancing, musuems, history and sightseeing. What are some good Italian, Chinese and Indian places to eat? Any day trips I should take? Thanks.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 04:05 AM
Stephanie P.

Save more money and stay in Ft. Lauderdale. I stay 5 miles north at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, FL. It is quieter and is not too far from Ft. L. and Miami. March is the high season in Miami and the crowds will be big. There are many ethnic restaurants. Don Shula has a steakhouse in Ft. L. that is supposed to be good and they give you plenty of steak.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:22 AM
carol

Hi Huggiebear-Happy New Year - We just got home from Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday. Weather was supurb. We shopped in Las Olas, did a little of flea marketing. Sawgrass Mall is great. Of course sales were on the day after Christmas. That evening (26th) it was a little chilly but we still took a boat ride on the Jungle Queen, the best buy in Ft. Lauderdale. It was a three hour ride on the intercostal and saw all of the mansions> We saw so much from this boat, it was great.

Late that evening we made our usual stop at the Voodoo Lounge and some of the other bars on the River Walk. We were shocked to see Marshall Falk, (football player) sitting at the bar at the Vodoo along with OJ Mc Duffy.

We ate at Luna's one evening~~~~upscale itilain resturant. Ruth Kriss another evening. We went to the 16th stree fishery (I think that is the name) ```` Good but pricey. Another night we ate at the French Quarters in Las Olas.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:32 AM
annie

Ditto for the Jungle Queen! www.junglequeen.com. Nice ride on a paddle wheeler down the New River past the mansions to a private island for a feast and a cute vaudville type show! Enjoy!

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 02:01 PM
jason

It depends on your age and how lively you want things. The suggestion to stay in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea because it is quieter may only be good if you want it that way.
The beach experience you will find north of Miami Beach can be found anywhere along the Atlantic coast.
If you want to feel your pulse though, give Miami Beach and South Beach in particular a try. Ok, so there are some ghetto people, pimps and hookers along Collins Ave. between 23 and 5 streets but they seem pretty harmless(stay away late at night though). There are also some fine restaurants and hotels in the area as well. There are some nights that South Beach doesn't go to bed and you're generally pretty safe.
If money is no object, there a many hotels that will provide a memorable experience along with some moderately priced ones that are not too shabby as well.
You will the find the beach on South Beach unlike any other in the country, beautiful women sunbathing topless...Also, but this is not for me, gay muscleboys.
If you are coming from a bigger city up north, the Indian, Chinese, and Italian restaurants will probably be better where you come from. There are only a few Indian restaurants in the area and the by far the best one is Royal India on Griffin Rd in the Dania/Ft Lauderdale area. There are numerous Latin restaurants, Casa Juancho in Little Havana is the best for Paella and typical dishes from Spain. Restaurants from all Latin American countries are represented. The Italian restaurants are better in Lauderdale and too many Chinese restaurants to really gauge, although the China Grille on South Beach is the only non mom & pop Chinese place I can think of, very trendy and hip. I have tons of suggestions, email me for anything specific you have in mind.
Also may want to try an Everglades airboat ride, or an Everglades bike ride in Shark Valley.
Aventura Mall is the best shopping in town, but there are other shopping areas that won't disappoint.
Let me know if you want anything more specific, or do some research and ask me questions on anything interesting you've found.
When going to South Florida, you can't limit yourself to one area, as you may be disappointed. It is absolutely necessary to rent a car. Experience the Latin pulse in Miami and Miami Beach while also enjoying the laid back Florida beach atmosphere of Ft Lauderdale.