Mexican food in San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some recommendations for good Mexican food in San Diego.

A friend and I are going down to SD for a memorial service - she is coming from the east coast and I am coming from the Bay Area - we are going to spend a couple extra days catching up and sightseeing. She is from California, but has been back east for about 10 years and has requested that we go out for some good Mexican food.

I've been to the Old Town Mexican Cafe, but wasn't very impressed. The tortillas were good, but everything else was so-so. Maybe they had an off day, but things didn't seem to have a lot of flavor to them. Coyote Cafe was pretty good (also in Old Town) and we could definitely go there, but I am looking for some more suggestions. I know that the better places are probably not in Old Town.

I would prefer some place inexpensive and casual. Hole-in-the-wall is fine. A place with a bit of a patio where we could eat outside would be prefect.

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:37 AM
ltt

casa de bandini - i would say that there food is good but not exceptional but the atmosphere is great - outdoors with music and good margarittas.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

First, I'm sorry for your loss. Second, I can relate to your friend's cause - I lived in San Diego for 8 years and have been back on the east coast for five. The craving for good Mexican simply can't be sated on the east!

I think there are two types of Mexican food dining experiences - maybe three, heck, now that I think about it, maybe four.

1. The hole-in-the-wall. These places are dirt cheap, look like they might not be up to health code, and use plenty of lard. In a word, fantastic. My favorites are El Indio and Los Panchos (in Hillcrest) Other good ones: any Alberto's (don't be fooled by Aliberto's), Cotija's in PB, Roberto's is usually decent, too. To me, these are the most authetic places to get Mexican because they are usually run by Mexican people, not others trying to replicate the experience.

2. The more upscale fast food Mexican. These are usually chain restaurants, but are really good at what they do. My favorite's are La Salsa and Rubio's. Do NOT leave San Diego without eating a Rubio's fish taco. I lived in SD for 8 years and didn't get around to trying these until around year 6. Oh, how I regret those wasted years!

3. The Old Town Mexican places. These places serve decent food, but are more about recreating an atmosphere for tourists unaccustomed to Mexican food. You were not wrong about Old Town Mex -I've never liked it. The other poster is right about Casa de Bandini. I also went to Casa Guadalajara in Old Town and was pleasantly surprised by the good food and festive atmosphere. I would recommend it for a good Old Town Experience.

4. High end Mexican. They do mole REALLY well, they're not all about the burrito, enchilada or taco combo plates. El Agave comes to mind. It's on the edge of Old Town, but far, far away from that mentality. Great decor, 150 different kinds of tequila and they're known for their mole sauces.

Also, I just found out that my favorite place in Hillcrest - Chilango's - has gone from a small walk up counter to full sit down service. I'd give that a try, too.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
je

Try O'Linda's. It's near Old Town but doesn't get the tourists.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the recommendations - and the condolences.

I am hoping to lure my friend and her husband back to California (New Jersey is just too far way). Maybe some good Mexican food will do the trick Her husband is from the east coast, but I know he loves San Diego. Maybe she'll fall in love with it too.

wendy - I definitely agree with your classification of the different types of Mexican food places.

The whole in the wall places are where we usually go. My friend and I grew up in Santa Cruz and her grandpa had a barber shop. Next door was a little Mexican place. Mmmmmm...the memories.

Regarding Rubio's - if they are that good, I will have to try some. I'm always on the lookout for good tacos.

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:51 PM

I second the recommendation for Casa Guadalajara - on Taylor Street in Old Town. (www.bazaardelmundo.com/dining/guadalajara.html)
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:53 PM

Hi J,

We spent 10 years in SD and our hands-down favorite is Eva's, on Friars Rd across from Kaiser Hospital in Mission Valley, about a mile east of Qualcomm Stadium. When we moved away from SD in April, they were under heavy renovation, so I'd check to make sure they are open. They make fresh, doughy tortillas, use lots of fresh seafood, cilantro, and tomatillos. Their fajitas are to die for. It's not in a toursty area, but it's still very festive. I promise you'll love it! Once I even spotted a local food critic eating there in what looked to be a social situation...always a good sign!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
je

You're getting lots of suggestions. Rubios is noted for their fish tacos but if you want a real hole in the wall that is very popular with the locals, go to Las Cuatro Milpas. It's near the Coronado bridge on Logan St I think. It took me awhile to remember the name but it is truly authentic food. It is only open until sometime mid-afternoon so it's a lunch spot.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:17 PM

I like Mexican Village (recently improved) in Coronado and Chueys on the San Diego side of the Coronado Bridge.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Chueys, that's it. I couldn't remember the name. That is the best place. It's a favorite of "movers and shakers" at lunchtime.

I also like Casa Guadalajara.

An FYI for all out-of-town Old Town fans, the contract for the concessions is probably about to change hands. The State, in its infinite wisdom, wants to take the contract from the woman who has had the contract for the last 25 or more years and has made the Bazaar Del Mundo into the outstanding success it is, to Delaware North, the company which manages several National Parks (badly) and which has the food concession at Petco Park where the food is not good and os very expensive). One result will be the end of Casa de Bandini and Casa Guadalajara amongst others.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 10:29 PM

That would be Las CUATRAS Milpas, je

You are spot on with that one.

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Las Cuatras Milpas is definitely another great one! I couldn't remember the name earlier...(knew it was four somethings..) Also right next to it is a little bakery. Their boletos (white rolls) are really good...buy them hot out of the oven!
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Our long-time favorite is Alfonso's, in La Jolla.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:33 PM

El Torito fits the bill for good, inexpensive and casual, and they have several SD locations. I remember visiting the one in La Jolla years and years ago, and after checking the ET website, it's apparently still there:

http://www.eltorito.com/menus/el_torito/sd.html
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM

El Torito is horrible.

What are your motives? Stockholder?

Ok, maybe horrible is a strong word. But someone's looking for recommendations for good Mexican food, something special to San Diego, and they get a link to a corporate website for a chain restaurant.

Why not try the Olive Garden for 'great' Italiian.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:59 AM

We were sent by a couple of local recommendations to Chuey's and loved it. The next morning we were talking to our waitress at the Coronado Hotel and said that's where we had gone for dinner. She remarked in horror that she'd love to go there but her boyfriend who is a cop is afraid of the area and refuses to take her there!! That was quite a few years ago, and I hear the area is cleaned up, but good to know it's still around and I'll bet just as good.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Partick - I love your story about the cop being afraid to go into the neighborhood. That's great. Maybe he's arrested a few too many of the locals and didn't want to be caught there without his own gang in blue.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Actually he wasn't afraid to go, just afraid to take his girlfriend. I thought maybe he'd get too many reactions from other "girls" he'd taken there or who worked under the bridge, so to speak.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:01 PM
jd

Our favorite is Miguels Cocina on Coronado Island.It is across the street diagonally from the Hotel Del Coronado.This place has great food at reasonable prices.Ask for the cheese salsa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -