Reload this Page >

Metro b/w D.C. and Baltimore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Ally

I am taking a train to Union Statin in D.C. this June. I'd like to take the metro from there to Baltimore. Although I have looked, I haven't been able to find any info about the location of the metro that goes b/w these cities. I'd appreciate any info; I'm really wondering if I can catch the metro at Union Station, if it goes to Penn Station, and times.... Thanks for any help!!!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Jill

The metro is the Washington area subway. It does not go to the city of Baltimore. From Union Station you can take the Marc trains or Amtrak to Baltimore.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:53 PM
jason

The metro is the local subway. You can take the MARC train to Baltimore, and I believe you catch it at Union Station. To get to New York, you take Amtrak from Union Station. This trip is not cheap though (about $160 RT). The bus is the cheapest way to NYC. Flying is often cheaper than the train.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Nancy

To get to Penn Station in BALTIMORE from Union Station in DC, take the MARC train, which is the commuter train service in Maryland. Go to http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules..._schedule.cfm; you want the Penn line. There's a link for both schedules and fares. Union Station is just listed as "Washington." There are about 20 trains/day, but only M-F. It's very quiet and very comfortable.

FWIW, Union Station is also on the DC subway ("Metro") line. http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/default.cfm

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 01:52 PM
r-travels

All of Nancy's advice is on target, but if you are going to Baltimore to go to the Inner Harbor, you could also take the Camdem Yards MARC line from Union Station. However those trains schedules are not as convenient, and take longer, but the station is walking distance from Inner Harbor. If you take the Penn Line, consider using Baltimore's Light Rail & buses to get around ... all day pass for $3. Schedules at http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules too. Union Station in DC is on Metro's RED line, with connections to most of the other Metro lines 2 or 3 stations west, going towards Shady Grove. Purchase a round trip MARC ticket and save $.

MARC only runs weekdays. If a weekend, cheapest way is to take a Metro to Greenbelt Station. Get a transfer pass at the station you BOARD the Metro at. At Greenbelt, board the B30 bus ($1.15, or $2 if you did not get a transfer pass) ... bus takes you to BWI airport (approx 35 min), and when you leave bus, walk left to the light rail station at the north end of the terminal. (there is no x in my REAL eddress)