Mesa Verde - bus tour or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a physically fit senior couple. Am wondering if the 4 hour bus tour of the park/cliff dwellings is well done, easier and more comprehensive than doing it on one's own. Any Fodorites with experience on this?

Thanks,
isy
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:15 AM

I didn't even realize that Mesa Verde had started doing this kind of tour. The Half-Day Guided Bus Tours though ARAMARK Mesa Verde (Park Concession)that includes the Cliff Palace Tour, looks very interesting but considering it includes the hour long Ranger lead Cliff Palace tour which you can do on your own for only $3.00 each, it seems a bit high at $45.00 each. http://www.visitmesaverde.com/mesa-v...ded-tours.aspx

Even if you decide to do the tour, I'd recommend planning on spending more time at the park to do other areas no on the tour. It's hard to see the park in 4 hours.

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has done this bus tour too!

Utahtea
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM

I don't usually take tours, but this one might be worthwhile. Mesa Verde is a very spread out place: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Colorado.html

HTTY
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Dang, for $45 a person -- I'LL give you the tour. Seriously, I go there frequently [have a home 10 mins away] and you do NOT need a bus tour. If you check my postings, I have lots of info on the park as well as pictures.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:47 PM

Wow! I can tell by all the capital letters that I'm way off base encouraging you to take tour at what I have experienced as a very remote and spread out location. Please disregard my opinion. I can't speak as a neighbor of the place but only as somebody who has twice driven 1,500 miles to visit the place.

HTTY
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM

HTTY, I didn't mean anything personal. I am glad that the tour worked for you. You are certainly allowed your opinion and I am sure the OP will be glad to have it. Obviously, there always going to be differing opinions.

The vast majority of visitors to Mesa Verde do not take the tour. Yes, the park is spread out and involves driving from point to point. But it is still a relatively small National Park.

With a bit of planning, visitors can map out a path to see the points of interest that appeal to them and do it at as leisurely a pace as desired.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Hi Debit, Thanks for your help on my upcoming AZ and NM trip.

As I said in my first post, I don't usually take tours but I can see that the cost of a tour could be money well spent for those considering a tour and who go way out of their way to visit Mesa Verde.

On my upcoming trip the only tours I am taking are a moonlight tram ride in Sabino Canyon (Tucson) and a jeep tour of Canyon de Chelly.

HTTY
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 05:51 AM

Those sound like great tours - especially moonlight tram ride! And I also suggest that folks do a jeep tour rather than trying to do any 4 wheeling on their own if they aren't experienced as it can be "tricky" to say the least.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Different strokes, etc. We'll talk it over but will probably do it ourselves. DH doesn't like to be too "programmed" although that usually means you-know-who does most of the planning! Either way, we're looking forward to it.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM

irishswampyankee,

I hope you will come back and tell us what you thought of the bus tour.

Utahtea
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

If we take the bus tour, I'll let you all know how it was. We will be on our trip mid May. I still have mixed thoughts about it. We just want to see everything in the park the easiest way without getting frazzled. The cost of the tour really doesn't figure in to the decision for us. Thanks again, everyone.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM

You might gain some insight while on the bus, but I would almost always prefer to "go on my own" when I can. I like to go at my own my pace, see what I want to see, and stop for something to eat when I want to.

You could easily spend 2 or 3 days there. I hope to go back and see Wetherill section. We didn't see any of it. We saw Step House, Balcony House, Long House, Cliff Palace. Saw several more from the road(those you aren't allowed in). See as many of them as you can, they are all interesting and a little different at each house.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM

[Long House and Step House are in Wetherill.]
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Oops, didn't see those then. lol. Not sure what the heck I saw. Maybe, those were on my wish list.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM

LOL!