Search

Mendocino

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mendocino

I am booking a trip to San Francisco and then North to Mendocino. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do. I am thinking about staying at the Albion River Inn. We drive up 1 or stay on 128? Where should we eat? Any and all suggestions are very helpful. We are going to have two nights and three days there. Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM

Hi! I have been yearly since we've been married and I love it. Here's a mini golist with some of my favorite suggestions:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDet...third_and.html

Also, go to tripadvisor's forum Usa>California forums> Mendocino for discussions about the area. Best to go during the week as the tourists bunch on weekends.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:41 AM

For a first trip, I'd drive up the 1, windy and slow though it is, and return on the 128. You can decide where to cut across from the 101 depending upon how much time you have. The coast just north of Jenner is spectacular. There will be heart-stopping drops to the sea interspersed with stretches of headlands that will allow you to catch your breath. With just two nights, consider staying in Mendocino.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. How long do you think it would take on Highway 1? This type of driving does not scare me, I have done it many times before. Any restaurant suggestions. I heard Libbys is good.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 12:44 PM

It's been a good while since we've driven up the 1 and a couple of years since we've been to Mendocino so Mapquest will give you a better estimate than my memory. The restaurants we've typically returned to are the Moosse Cafe, Cafe Beaujolais, and 955 Ukiah (this one has been a bit more hit-and-miss). Not familiar with Libby's. Also well worth checking out what's new in Fort Bragg.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 12:52 PM

I love 128....it starts out as rolling vineyards, the orchards, then wineries and finally huge redwoods before you hit the coast. Awesome. Libby's is in Philo, a good piece from Mendo and YES it's great if you love authentic tex-mex. The place is always filled with locals. I also like the Mendocino Cafe for lunch. Victorian room at the Mendocino Hotel is wonderful and if you like vegetarian food, the Stanford Inn is quite good.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM

128 has the advantage of having wineries that you can visit.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 12:57 PM

SF to Mendocino via Hwy 1 will take you
4.5-5 hours, and that doesn't allow
much time for, say, lunch or to get our of the car and and stroll on a beach
or two.

Between SF and Bodega Bay, you will only be truly driving along the coast
between Muir Beach and Stinson Beach-Stinson Beach up to Bodega Bay
is along Tomales Bay and then in-land.
If you are going to make this trek, then give yourself the day so you can at least explore some of the National Seashore at Pt. Reyes. The trip out to the Lighthouse is marvelous !

If this is longer than you had thought,
I would suggest taking Hwy 101 up to
either Petaluma and heading west on Washington St exit out to Bodega Bay.
OR
continue up 101 through Santa Rosa
and head west at the Guerneville Rd.
exit which will merge with Hwy 116
and head over to the coast to catch Hwy 1 at Jenner. ( Do not continue up to Santa Rosa after 3 PM as the traffic will be quite slow...)

Hwy 1 is pretty spectacular between Jenner and Mendocino.

This leaves Hwy 128 for you return trip home. Then you could plan a stop at Philo for a lunch at Libby's.

As for places to dine in and around
Mendocino, do check out the Moosse Cafe
and Stevenswood for dinner. Of course the Albion River Inn is quite good as
well.

Up in Ft. Bragg at the Noyo Harbor is
Chapter & Moon and the ever delicious Mendo Bistro.

If any of your journey takes you through the little hamlet of Elk-
be sure to stop at Quennies Roadside Cafe for a yummy breakfast or lunch.

R5
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:08 PM

I would reverse the last suggestion. Take the 101 128 1 opltion on the way up and do some wine tasting in the Anderson Valley. Then if you have not had enough of the coast after your stay in Mendocino, drive down the coast for however long you want to on the way back, using the various options razzledazzle offers.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:47 AM

Dear waterskisteve,
In addition to the excellent suggestions given by the above posters, I would add that you might want to reserve a bit of time to explore Highway One just a bit further north of Mendocino town. If you drive past Fort Bragg towards Rockport and Westport, you will see really wild, untrammeled coastline and if the weather is clear, a glimpse of the mountains that are a part of the Lost Coast area further north. Traffic is very light on this stretch - but watch out for the odd sheep, deer or turkey in the road - really. The roundtrip drive from Mendocino town should not take but a few hours out of your day.

Fort Bragg has the North Coast Brewing Co., a local pub with good food as well as the brews. While you are in Mendocino, book a massage or a foot rub at one of the several small spas - I had a foot massage/reflexology treatment that definitely perked me up!