Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Men in Kilts invade NYC - Wassup wit dat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Skirt Chaser

Saw 2 in Midtown West, saw 1 more in Midtown East. What's going on? It's not St. Patricks Day.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:02 AM
ryan

Did they just have on kilts with regular tops or were they wearing something more formal looking? If it is the latter, they may be attending a funeral at St. Patrick's.

The FDNY, NYPD and PAPD are still holding funerals for its members who died on 9/11. I know there is an FDNY funeral next Friday at the Cathedral. You'll likely see a few kilts then, as well.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Frank

New York and Scotland are doing some sort of joint promotion. Tomorrow will be the world's largest kilt parade, headed by Sean Connery. I believe it will go up 6th Avenue in midtown.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:44 AM
scot

It's Tartan Day -- 10,000 bagpipers supposed to be in NYC tomorrow. Parade up 6th Ave (I think)

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:57 AM
ryan

One of the funniest movie characters of all time has to be then Scotsman, Stuart MacKenzie (Mike Myers) from "So I Married an Axe Murderer"

"If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP"

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Scotsman

It's National Haggas Day. Eat some beef and barley stuffed sheep's bladder and join the merriment!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Katie

A group from Alaska were on the Today show this morning. Al interviewed them.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:24 AM
paul

http://www.pipefest.com/

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Haggisman

Hoot Mon! Ye nae stuf a 'aggis with beef & barley - it's sheep's innards an ootmeal, don' ye ken? An it's a stomach, nae a bladder!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:05 PM
scott

St patrick's day is Irish not Scottish.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:16 AM
suzanne

I had the pleasure of meeting some of these men last night. They were bagpipers (also firemen) who were here in NY to participate in a parade/march to raise money for cancer research, by breaking a world record for the most number of bagpipers (or is it number of men in kilts? I can't remember) in one place at one time. They were supposed to march from 6th Ave & 43rd St. to Central Park. Did anyone see the parade?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:10 PM
love

There is something about a man with good legs in a kilt...sigh.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:37 PM
curious

Was it ever determined what's worn under the kilt?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Bill

For those sports fans out there, Joe Paterno, legendary Penn State football coach, knows that the answer to "what's under the kilt?" is Nothing.

True Story: Penn State was playing at Notre Dame back in the early 1980's. The Irish Guard, who wear traditional kilts, are lined up by the end zone near the entrance to the locker rooms just after pre-game warmups.

Paterno runs by, stops, turns around, lifts up my the kilt of my friend's roommate, and says "I'll be damned, it true." He then runs back towards the locker room.

Pat

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Ted

I saw an unusually clad man today in Central Park at the E. 84th Street entrance. He was wearing a kilt-like item, but it wasn't a plaid. It was more like a heavy leather. Interesting.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:32 PM
x

That might have been John G. The obnoxious, know-it-all, arrogant, Vutton assualting, gay man that frequents these boards.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:34 PM
scot

There are kilts made of leather.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Haggisman

Know how to tell which clan a Scot is from? Lift up his kilt - if he's got a quarter-pounder he must be a McDonald!