Memphis, Tennessee Safety

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told that it is not safe to walk around Memphis. We are planning to visit in
June for 1 -2 days and want to stay near Beale Street for the music. We want to be able to walk from our hotel, yet to be determined, but want to be safe. We are avid travelers and are always street wise and stay in the tourist areas for that reason. What do you know about the Vista Inn Hotel or the Benchmark Hotel both near the Peabody (which is unfortunately out of our budget)?
Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I know nothing about either of those specific hotels (have you checked TripAdvisor for reviews?). But if you stay in the immediate downtown area, use common sense, and do not stay out till the wee hours, you will be fine. There are indeed parts of Memphis where you don't want to be (as there are in many cities), but the downtown, touristy area is not one of them. Memphis has a lot to offer. Go enjoy it!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks jent,
I use trip advisor all the time and love it. They have never steered me wrong yet! The Benchmark does not look so good!
Thanks for your help. Any hotel recommendations in that area that are under $150 with tax??
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Downtown Memphis is very safe with a big police presence. The only problem you might have is with panhandlers, and it's simple (and effective) to just ignore them.

The Benchmark gets awful reviews and I'd never heard of the Vistin Inn until I looked at reviews on TA. Of the two, it appears the Vista Inn is much better.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM

We got a great deal on the Memphis Peabody last year through TravelZoo, so check that for sure. Also consider Priceline, but do lots of research before bidding (www.biddingfortravel.com and/or www.betterbidding.com)

As I recall, there was a nice Hampton Inn nearby and also perhaps and Embassy Suites...not sure about the under $150/night part though!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:59 AM

I stayed in a Marriott SpringHill Suites downtown once - I'm not sure how much it was (it was a job interview, so they paid), but it's something to check out. Usually I stay with friends in the area so I'm not very familiar with downtown hotels.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM

As noted, there is a Hampton Inn one block from Beale Street.

If you stay at the SpringHill Suites or new Courtyard next door, you can take the trolley to and from Beale Street if you are concerned about safety. The downtown is pretty deserted even on weekdays. We felt safe walking back and forth, but I understand why others may not.

In any event, Beale Street is great fun.

We also enjoyed Graceland more than we expected and the Civil Rights Museum was a good experience. Enjoy.

HTTY
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM

My sister n law posed this same question to me. Upon her return, she laughed at herself for the thought. I wouldn't worry, I don't think you will have any problems around Beale/Peabody area.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for reassuring what I thought. Any hotel recommendations that are not going to break the bank??
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn at Peabody Place several times, but the last time we were there we checked out before unpacking. I'm not sure exactly what's happened, but the music was so loud we could barely hear ourselves think. This was at 5 o'clock in the afternoon and on the side of the hotel that faces away from Beale Street. Normally taking that precaution assured us peace and quiet, but no more. Perhaps one of the music venues has moved closer...

They even have a notice by the front desk stating, "This is not a quiet hotel." I'd avoid it if I were you.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Susan, that was one I was considering.
Thanks to all.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Memphis is the great city in the world to visit. As long as you dont pay taxes there. It is just as safe as any other city. The Marriot properties are all pretty nice. The peabody is very overrated anyway.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:58 AM

You shouldn't have safety problems in the downtown area from Beale Street (especially between Front and 4th) going north several blocks. There's also a trolley that links up several hotels, AMTRAK, the National Civil Rights Museum, and several restaurants with Beale Street. Along the trolley line north of Beale are the Comfort Inn Downtown, Sleep Inn Downtown, and Springhill Suites Downtown -- I've stayed in the first of these and found it perfectly fine. There are other places to stay near the Peabody, such as the Holiday Inn Select Downtown.

I would be cautious going any distance south of Beale, though, except for Main Street or Front Street during the day.

If you have a car, you'll have several additional possibilities for sleeping.

Few tourist attractions are in questionable or bad areas of town, and two of them, Graceland and Sun Studio, are linked by a shuttle service to the Rock and Soul Museum downtown. Both the Stax Museum and Slavehaven/Burkle Estate are in areas not recommended for walking around. Otherwise, you should be fine.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
cd

We stayed once in the Sleep Inn and found it to be ok if you take the trolley and not walk. It's too bad regarding the noise at the Hampton Inn because the location is much better and if you pay in advance you can get a room within your budget. If it were me I would call and ask about the noise. http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h...tyhocn=MEMPBHX