Memorial Day Itinerary - Please Critique

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm a Queens girl showing an out-of-country friend around. Haven't been to half the landmark places myself since I live here so I need a little help (lol) But I kind of know my way around. (Kind of when I compare myself to a real Manhattanite)

Does my itinerary for Memorial Day Sunday and Monday sound too hectic? Thanks for all your critiques kind or not-so-kind, long as they're helpful. I wish I thought of posting this sooner but she announced visit was only just recently.

Sunday's Itinerary:
9 AM - Meet at Harlem Heritage Tourism & Cultural Center for the Harlem Gospel Tour
*** Tour is 9:15 to 1:15 PM

1:30 PM - Eat at Jacob's (373 Lenox Ave, between 128th St & 129th St) (We have a car.)

3/4 PM - Hang out in Midtown for photo ops at: Rockefeller, Radio City Music Hall (My friend has already seen 5th Ave, St. Paul's, and Times Square)

5:30/6 PM - Shake Shack dinner (691 8th Ave, New York, NY)

7 PM - Billy Elliot (show starts at 730 PM) and then a walk through and Times Square at night

Monday's Itinerary:

9 AM - Ground Zero for World Trade Center & Tribute Museum (120 Liberty Street)

11 AM - Arrive at Battery Park for Statue of Liberty (I booked the tickets already.)
*** Quick stop at the Wall St Bull Statue for a picture
*** This visit includes a stop at Ellis Island.

1 PM - Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for pizza at Grimaldi's (Doable?)

4 PM - Tenement Museum
*** Stop at il laboratorio del gelato after

5:30 PM - Peruse the old Chinatown area a bit... with the real reason to bring him to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (Yes... two bits of sweets for the day!)

Then I'm kind of lost for places here... Little Italy seems not worth it anymore....

Till... Maybe we'll just eat earlier.

8PM - Dinner at Dallas Jones BBQ.

Now.... here's the crazy part, at 10 PM, I was thinking of driving to Weehawken NJ to let him see Midtown Manhattan at night. What do you think?

All the best to you and your fam on Memorial Day Weekend. Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Not sure what your 11 am ticket for SoL is for. Is that for the ferry? (You need to be there about an hour in advance for the security line.) Or is tht for the Statue - and then you need to be there much earlier.

But - there is no way you will be back at Brooklyn Bridge by 1 pm. The security line, the ferry to Liberty island, the visit there, the ferry to Ellis Island - and then back to Manhattan - will take longer. And IMHO the Ellis Island immigration Museum is brilliant - and much more interesting than walking across a bridge - esp in the hot weather we're supposed to have.
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

The ticket says that's when we're allowed into the security area prior to boarding. How long would SOL and Ellis take? As for BK bridge ... Maybe we'll just drive across to Grimaldi's and walk up half way and back?
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Your itinerary sounds good but where are you going to park your car?

If you are thinking on street parking - forget it. On street parking spaces anywhere in Manhattan (especially as you are in Midtown and southward) are at a premium (in other words - quite hard to find). Parking garages are around (you'd have to find them) are quite expensive.

I think you should plan on using the subway.
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

We'll be using the subway mostly. Just getting in from Queens and any long distance driving will be done by car. Luckily, there are fewer parking issues being the holiday and sunday! Yay!
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Last weekend I went to the statue of liberty. I had 10am tickets. We arrived shortly before 9, got our tickets about 15 minutes later, and were allowed in early, catching the 9:45 ferry. We sped through everything (skipped the film at Ells Island) and were back about 1:30. If you go on the 11am ferry, I can't imagine you'll be back barite 2:30 or 3 given the enormous crowds this weekend.

And given that it's a holiday weekend, I doubt you'll get on a Tenement Museum tour unless you book the tickets in advance. If you rush, I do think you can get there by 4 but will have to skip the bridge. Or you could do the bridge. But not both.
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM

You might want to do more wandering in the East Village, Alphabet City and the Lower East Side instead of Chinatown.

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...d-present.html
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:58 AM

Dallas BBQ chain could be some of the worst restaurants in Manhattan.

For a spectacular and closer view of Manhattan try the promenade in Brooklyn Heights or the Staten Island ferry at night. The lights grow as you get closer, quite dramatic.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Aduchamp - seakae said Dallas Jones BBQ (which is down in the West Village) which is not the same as the Dallas BBQ chain.

http://www.dallasjonesbbq.com/

As for the Dallas BBQ chain store on 42nd St - I ate there a few weeks back to try it out. I won't say it is one of the worst in Manhattan but it isn't a place I would necessarily go back to.