Reload this Page >

Memorable ethnic restaurants in U.S.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
jetset1

I love all kinds of food, from Indian to Thai, French to Russian. I'd be interested to know some of your favorites and what makes the dining experience so unique. J.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my all time favorite restaurant experiences occurred years ago in D.C. when we dined with friends at an Ethiopian restaurant. We sat in a circle on the floor with a pedestal in the center of us, the food arrived in one large bowl and in place of utensils a thin, crepe like bread was used to scoop up the food. It was so long ago I don't recall what we ate but I know we enjoyed it as well as the experience.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:05 AM

That's funny, AnnMarie. I was just thinking about my most "ethnic" experience here in Dallas at an Ethiopian restaurant. Same food and style here, but I actually didn't like it too much. I was sick for hours after.
As far as my favorites, I love Thai food. I also love hibachi-style Japanese food. Filipino food's yummy, too. Ummm...eating in Little Italy and Chinatown in NYC was good. I guess with me, though, all you have to do is "food" and I'll jump.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:05 AM

--all you have to do is SAY "food" and I'll jump...
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM

"Food" !
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:39 AM

We usually opt for ethnic food when travelling, since it's not easily prepared at home, and it's usually fairly inexpensive. Some places that stand out in my mind:

Mexican - Escobar's, just outside of Bryce Canyon Utah. A tiny roadhouse with amazing authentic Mexican. Another Mexican - Buena Vida in Akumal Mexico.

Thai - Believe it or not, my favorite Thai place is the Mekong in Kennebunk Maine.

Italian - A local Trattoria in Levanto Italy.

Ethiopian - Bleu Nil in Montreal. DC also has several very good ones.

Greek - Jardin de Panos in Montreal.

Montreal may be the best place anywhere to get interesting, inexpensive ethnic food, often byob.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM

best ethic food experience also in D.C.
Korean BBQ!! They give you meat to BBQ on a litttle hibatchi on your table. This isnt a place where they do it for you. It arrives raw and you cook it. The food was fabulous. Also they give you dishes and dishes each containing a tiny portion of some tasty tidbit, (one dish with spring onions and sesames, a dish with some kind of cooked egg thing, one with a green vegetable in some kind of peanut sauce. etc. etc) along with other dishes containing various sauces. It is a mix and match cuisine - with lots of little tastes of things. Really good and fun.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM

bill_boy--How high???
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:22 AM

Maybe the D.C. restaurant you are thinking of is "Maraakesh" on New York Ave. Prior to eating, they wash your hands over a tureen of water. Sitting on pillows while eating. Shish-ka-bob, without the stick. Belly dancer on some nights.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:23 AM

"Blob's Park" near Jessup, Md. German food in a beer hall. Music and dancing. My daughter seems to always request the "Chicken Dance".
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:27 AM

Hi divingaggie! I'm with you on the food--I like to make the old and tired joke that I'm on the seefood diet...I see food and I eat it! I'll try anything once!! Sorry you had a bad experience!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:46 AM
jetset1

steviegene~ love the description, that place sounds great.
I was lucky enough to learn a bit of Filipino cooking years ago. I love lumpia, an easy to make eggroll where you can use a variety of fillings and it's a great finger food at parties.
I remember a Greek restaurant on Oahu many years ago.. lots of ouzo flowing and we danced in a chain around the tables. Also, a male dancer entertained us, and I think there was a female belly dancer too. Quite festive.
Mongolian bbq's are fun and I like choosing the spiciness.
Neat replies. Keep them coming. I do take notes for future travel!!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:05 AM

Several hundreds in NYC. Kosher morroccan anyone? Or Cuban/Chinese? (Not trendy fusion like Asia de Cuba - but predating that by at least 10 years - a neighborhood place owned by a Chinese family that had emigrated from Cuba.) Or Tibetan?

My curren favorite is an Argentinian with absolutley the best empanadas ever.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
lvk

We love to try all different ethnic cuisines, also. There are lots here in the L.A. area, also.

Our current favorite is a Peruvian/Sushi restaurant tucked away in a Lomita strip mall, Kotosh at Kamayama. Don't laugh until you've tried the "Machu Picchu Roll"

My son's favorite is Pine Tree, our local Korean/Vietnamese joint. We have 3 or 4 different Japanese places -- one for Shabu-Shabu, one for Japanese grill (similar to Korean BBQ), one Noodle House and one for Sushi.

We go to Ante's in San Pedro for Croatian cuisine.

Over the weekend, we enjoyed our favorite Palm Springs eatery, Johannes, which is European/Pan-Asian. Very eclectic menu. (Hmmm, do I choose the Thai meatballs or the Wienerschnitzel?)

There was a place called Beijing Islamic that I used to drive by every day, but I never got to try it.

So many choices....

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM

Southern California, like New York City, is overflowing with every stripe of ethnic eatery. Beyond Mexican and Salvadoran and other Latin specialties, we're known for Asia/Pacific regional cuisine: Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Laotian, Hawai'ian, etc. Just about every European cuisine is represented in whole or in part, many African cuisines, middle Eastern cuisines, even an outpost or two of Canadian cuisine (such as it is, although the charms of poutine are lost on me).

I have too many favorites to list, although a new Greek place near my house is a new favorite: George's Greek Café in the Belmont Shore neighborhood of gritty ol' Long Beach. Authentic, rustic Greek food and belly-dancing on the weekends. Hokey, but the food is pretty awesome (not at all gussied-up, just delicious). My favorite red-sauce Italian is being sold, so I'm waiting to see if they get a new chef. But of all the Mexican places I frequent, my big fave is still a homey sit-down joint with the best cochinita in the state: Enrique's, PCH and Loynes heading out of Long Beach (or into LB, if you're coming from OC). Again, it's all about the authentic food. Authentically incredible.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:42 AM

I thought of Marrakesh in DC as well (it is Moroccan cuisine though, not Ethiopian). To be honest, I didn't like the food that much - I'm not a very adventurous eater. But, the atmosphere and the belly dancing made the night memorable.

Another place that comes to mind is Embrujo Flamenco in Toronto. The tapas are excellent and there is a live flamenco show as well. I know, its not in the US but when you live in Buffalo it might as well be!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
jetset1

Ivk~ what is in that Machu Picchu roll? I like getting sushi "to-go" for evening plane trips, especially the crab roll with the crunchy outside. They are easy to carry and a nice light snack with wine!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM

From the Kotosh at Kamiyama website:

#31 MACCHU PICCHU ROLL - 8 pcs
Shrimp Tempura and Avocado Topped with Tuna and Spicy Mayonnaise, Garlic, Lime and Soy Sauce

Sounds delicious to me.

You can see the menu at www.kotoshatkamiyama.com.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM

Hi AnnMarie--I am sure that if I were to visit another Ethiopian restaurant, then I'd probably like it then.

Peruvian-Sushi--interesting...
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM

Egyptian and Greek restaurants on Steinway Street in Astoria, Queens, Jackson Diner (Indian) in Jackson Hts, Queens ... basically just about anything ethnic in Astoria or Jackson Hts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -