Search

megabus or tour bus from Baltimore to New York City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
ita
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
megabus or tour bus from Baltimore to New York City

We are planning a day trip from Baltimore to NYC using a tour bus such as Hunt Valley Motor Tours. The price is about $55 return. Now I read on another post about Megabus which is $8 return. Can anyone tell about their experiences? Thank you
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
yk

Does the "tour bus" include any touring in NYC, or does it just do the drop-off and pick-up? Megabus is similar to Greyhound. To get the cheapest tickets, you need to buy your tickets online way in advance. I think you can book tickets up to about 2 months in advance, and the earlier you book the cheaper the tickets.

For example, I took Megabus from Boston to NY City. One ticket I got was only $1 (the cheapest fare), but other tickets I bought were $10+. If I wait until the day of travel, the ticket is $18 each way. So, you cannot count on getting that $8 return ticket unless you do your "work".
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM

My daughter goes to college in Washington DC and has taken the Megabus, Bolt bus, and DC2NY buses. All are really nice Coach style buses with wireless internet available. She's only taken ones that go non stop between NYC and DC though, don't know if the one that stops in Baltimore is different.
They all price according to time of day and availability, some people on the same bus will have paid $ 1 for a one way ticket, others up to $ 40.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
ita
Original Poster

thanks, the tour bus give you breaksfast-bagel & juice, but for such a difference in price we can bring our own breakfast.

There is no touring and also more restricted schedule
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM

Hi ita, I just took Megabus to NYC from Baltimore a few weeks ago. The way it works is, their rates vary from $1 each way to somewhere around $20 each way, depending on when you reserve - the earlier the cheaper. But even at the highest price it's cheaper than $55 rt. The buses are very nice, and they leave from the Park and Ride lot at White Marsh Mall behind Ikea. One nice thing is that they have multiple buses to choose from going up, and coming back, so you can be much more flexible on times. the buses are double decker, and we found it to be very comfortable. Have a great time!